PDA

View Full Version : Jefe's Ettoufee - Yes Don FINALLY

Team Jefe
11-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Several people at TRII expressed interest in my Ettoufee recipe. Don's Mile High has been asking about for weeks and I keep forgetttingto get it. So, Here it is for all to enjoy.

Crawfish is best, but you can use shrimp as well.
for every pound of tails you will need the following:

1/2 white onion, finely chopped. I recommend Texas A&M's 1015 onion....Pipe down GA. you can use Vadalias if you can't get 1015's

1/2 Green Pepper or 1/2 bunch green onions, finely chopped. the peppers give a more authentic flavor, but they don't agree with me so I use the green onion. Hey, this ain't rocket science use what ever you like

1/2 Stick of butter. Use REAL butter, not some partially Hydrogenated oil crap

1-4 tbsp plain flour.

Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper and Cajun Seasoning (Like Tony's or Emeril's)and some hot sauce (I recommend Tabassco's Habanero (HOT !!!) or Chipotle (Not so Hot) or a local brand, use your imagination here).

Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour until it is the consisteny of powered sugar icing (if you know what I mean), a pinch of salt, 4-5 pinches of black pepper and red pepper to taste. stir the flour in the butter over a medium to med-low heat (Stir constantly) until Golden brown. This is called a peanut butter rue since it is the color of peanut butter. DON'T GO TOO FAST. This is a food of love thing, take your time, the rue is the key, if it gets burned you might as well start over. This is for sure the hardest part to learn.

Saute the onions and peppers in a seperate pan for about 5 minutes just to soften them up and add to the completed rue.

Add the tails, fold them in and add water to the consistency you want. Remember you can always add more. Bring to a boil to check how thick the mixture will get and adjust accordingly. For me the right consistency is that of a thick soup. Adjust your seasonings to taste. add more cajun seasoning and hot sauce is usually what I do and cook for about 20 minutes total DO NOT COVER THE CRAWFISH, they will turn black on you. its done when the tails start to curl.

Really its pretty dang simple. Make a pot of rice and enjoy.

Jeffre Marcel Thibodeaux

farmer tx
11-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Jefe, Thanks for the recipe. The high temp here the next three days at 45 degree we need something to warm us up, the etouffee with habanero should do it.

Waiting for the sun to reappear,
Mark & PJ

Shark in the Pond
11-17-2003, 07:48 PM
That's some good eat's ,Jefe ... how bout them pork chop recipe ?????? Mark you got the cotton out ?

farmer tx
11-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Shark,
Got the cotton out in June. Just got through getting the corn out last thurs. How is everything in Lubbock? Good I hope.
Any thing new on the Lake Rod's.

Later,
Mark

harbormaster
11-18-2003, 03:16 AM
ehhhhhhh eeeeeeeeee. Cher, dat sho be sum fine eats!

Team Jefe
11-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Kevin - I can't give away all my secrets....Oh What the Hell, its Faaamliy right.

This recipe is not quite a formalized as the etoufee.

Take some olive oil in a bowl and start adding spices. I usually use Cajun seasoning, I have my own special blend, but Tony's or Emril's or Zataran's whatever will do, plus garlic, black pepper, brown sugar, a little Worchestershire and lots of Hot Sauce (pick your poison). mix it up to a Pesto type consistency (slightly liquidy paste).

Dump that and your pork chops into a ziplock bag and let them sit for several hours or overnight.

Cook them one of three ways:
1. Smoked (like we did at PK), just like you wer doing a brisket ( or pork loin for those of you east of the Mississippi)

2. Grilled - Faster, crunchier, the seasoning tends to carmelize.

3. Fried - Take them out of the bag with as much seasoning as you can and "bread" them in flour. They won't be a pretty uniform golden brown (like a chicken fried steak), but fried porkchops is what they serve in Heaven on Thursday's for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner cause they are soooooo good.

As always, feel free to experiement and find your own style. This ain't rocket science kids.

JEFE

Shark in the Pond
11-19-2003, 07:47 AM
farmer tx:
Shark,
Got the cotton out in June. Just got through getting the corn out last thurs. How is everything in Lubbock? Good I hope.
Any thing new on the Lake Rod's.

Later,
Mark All is well in Lubbock , Last I spoke with Bo in N.M. they were working on the web site but that was a mo. or so ago ,he is coming to lubbock for thanksgiving and I'm going to meet up with him when he get's here and talk about it ,I will keep you in the loop !

Kevin

Shark in the Pond
11-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Jefe's Revenge:
Kevin - I can't give away all my secrets....Oh What the Hell, its Faaamliy right.

This recipe is not quite a formalized as the etoufee.

Take some olive oil in a bowl and start adding spices. I usually use Cajun seasoning, I have my own special blend, but Tony's or Emril's or Zataran's whatever will do, plus garlic, black pepper, brown sugar, a little Worchestershire and lots of Hot Sauce (pick your poison). mix it up to a Pesto type consistency (slightly liquidy paste).

Dump that and your pork chops into a ziplock bag and let them sit for several hours or overnight.

Cook them one of three ways:
1. Smoked (like we did at PK), just like you wer doing a brisket ( or pork loin for those of you east of the Mississippi)

2. Grilled - Faster, crunchier, the seasoning tends to carmelize.

3. Fried - Take them out of the bag with as much seasoning as you can and "bread" them in flour. They won't be a pretty uniform golden brown (like a chicken fried steak), but fried porkchops is what they serve in Heaven on Thursday's for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner cause they are soooooo good.

As always, feel free to experiement and find your own style. This ain't rocket science kids.

JEFE You the man thank's , I might give it a whirl this weekend. I saw on the news about the 10" of rain you guys got , hope all is well ?

Kevin

Team Jefe
11-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Everyone I know is OK. I left work that evening and was pushing water with my bumper. it must have been two feet deep in the street.

We did have some work issues. Some equipment I had at a vendor facility was damamged when the buildiog was destroyed by a tornado, you might have seen it on TV.

Shark in the Pond
11-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Yes sir ,saw it on the news. My neighbor just got back from there and said it was something! It must have been coming down in buckets ,how many hrs did it take to rain 10" ??? I think we are sitting at 8" for the year .