PDA

View Full Version : I think I will stick with BoatUS Tow insurance...

bverd
12-12-2003, 03:12 PM
How not to tow a boat video clip (http://www.donzi.net/photos/heloTowJob.wmv).

--bverd

harbormaster
12-13-2003, 01:49 PM
I would sure love to know the real story behind that clip...

Digger
12-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Amazing how many ways a helicopter can bite you if you try to make it do something it isn't good at. My guess here would be a combination of two things: 1) power required exceeded power available due to gross CG shift imposed by the external load which was out of limits. See how he dumps the nose of the helo to begin moving forward? Too much too early. He moved his lift vector too far forward to provide enough vertical lift, hence the immediate descent. At this point it became unrecoverable, which is a crappy place to be because you are given some time to think about how you screwed up without being able to do a thing about it. 2) as the "oh s***" light comes on in the pilots head he pulls collective into his armpit only to find that starts a loss of tail rotor authority as evidenced by the sudden yaw as he descends.

hope they got out ok.

goatee
12-13-2003, 09:51 PM
then the guy in the boat rows over, looks the pilot in the eye, and says
"okay,,,,, now what?"

bverd
12-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Digger,

I talked to a pilot about this and he said some big word, but basically by increasing the power the torque from the main rotor was too great for the rear rotor to couter act and what you see is what you get. Is that it in "stupid terms". Please tell me you haven't witnessed that?

--bverd

Digger
12-14-2003, 06:37 AM
bverd I think he was correct. Because of that smart guy Newton, the fella who was pretty good with gravity and action-reaction stuff, we know that a tail rotor is required on a helicopter with a single main rotor. When the main rotor is spinning, the fuselage is made to want to spin in the opposite direction. Hence the vertical tail rotor which acts to counteract the torque produced by the main rotor. The problem is, the tail rotor can only produce a finite amount of thrust. I think this guy got himself in a position that exceeded tail rotor authority. Interestingly though, he could have done this without incident IMHO. He could have started out very slowly, i.e. get tension on the line and very smoothly lower the nose of the helo to begin forward motion, vice the radical nose low position he got himself in.

(knock on wood) that has never happened to me eek!

ToonaFish
12-14-2003, 07:08 AM
So you are bringing the helo to AOTH for tows? :D

mattyboy
12-14-2003, 07:15 AM
holy hanna!!!
AQUACOPTER!!!!
that boy needs a sign,you know the sign
I"M STOOOOOPID

Matty

KMLFAMILY
12-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Me too ! :)
http://www.donzi.net/photos/klessard50.jpg

Dr. Dan
12-15-2003, 05:11 PM
:p I think Dwight offers a similar Service...just at 600 MPH. Hmmmm a 35,000 foot Tow Service, I guess that would sorta be like a Donzi Banner...with a live Donzi in Tow? :D

Doc of Dimentia wink

oldLenny
12-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Digger, what are the chances of the rope breaking and flying up into the rotor?

Digger
12-16-2003, 05:54 AM
umm... dunno. but if it did it would be uglier than that video!

a 10k cargo strap would probably be a better way to go!

chucknoonan
12-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Unf@#%&ing believable!