PDA

View Full Version : Project Ski Sporter, Pop The Deck??

Big Yank
11-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advise I have received on my 1971 16' project. Based on the posts, I plan to rebuild the existing motor, get an Alpha SS drive, and install some trim tabs. :)

Now that all that is decided, on to some more difficult matters. Leaking gas tank, yes I have a leaking gas tank. My local boat works, based on there previous experience w/ Donzi's and leaking tanks, suggests cutting the cockpit floor and replacing the metal tank with a plastic tank. Then reinstalling the floor w/ screws and covering the seam with trim in the corners. I was wondering about taking the top deck off instead. This would also make the engine and drive replacement easier. Anyone have recommendations :confused:

MOP
11-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Pop the top keep the tub intact, yes you can cut the tub floor and repair it quite nicely but not perfect and by poping the top you can inspect every inch of the boat. I am a real believer in the plastic tanks being in the boat Biz. Enjoy your project and best of luck with it.

Phil

mattyboy
11-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Big Yank,
I just replaced( with the help of some great board members) my tank in my 67 16 this spring,
you will regret if you cut floor, and you have just walked into a hornets nest, nothing stirs controversy on this site more than gas tanks and their installation.
foam or no foam
plastic or aluminum or fuel cell

I Installed a florida marine tanks FMT 23 dz Aluminum it is one of the original tank mfg's and I didn't foam it in , aluminum and foam in some cases have bad results. I used straps and rubber feet this way the fuel compartment will drain out. I couldn't find a MFG'r who had a plastic tank that would fit it would be all custom and therefore big bucks

prepare for the absolute worst, and if it don't happen you'll be ahead of the game.
search "mattyboy's deckliftin party" from this spring

GOOD LUCK!

Matty

Big Yank
11-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Matty, thanks for the Tank # and manufacture.

Phill, do you have a source for a platic tank that will fit my 71 16' Ski Sporter?

MOP
11-06-2003, 09:31 AM
I would put a call into Donzi for their supplier, Matty mentioned cost they more expensive. A properly coated aluminum tank will last many years. Buget may dictate which tank, not sure how much difference in price there is.

But this what the ABYC had to say.

"If you do need to replace a leaky fuel tank, find a polyethylene replacement. When the American Boat and Yacht Council used a Coast Guard grant to study poly tanks, they found that the synthetic tanks installed as much as two decades ago had zero failures, and the ABYC says that polyethylene tanks pose no risk at all."

Full article: http://www.boats.com/content/default_detail.jsp?contentid=1189

Rootsy
11-06-2003, 02:35 PM
BUT do they make one custom fit for the 16? If so then WONDERFUL... just don;t let her get to rubbin on anything in there...

if not yiou have abotu 2 choices...

1) cough up a buck fifty or so for tooling, material, etc and have a custom Blowmolder crap you out one... or two... or three.... or...

or... #2, well you can do it the PREFERRED WAY! the next best thing to do with her would be to get some 5 gallon O/B HDPE gas cans and those outboard hoses, you know, the ones with the Johnson ends... pitch 3 or 4 of em down in the hole ,T all of the hoses together and run em to the bilge... get some big hose, take the filler caps off, stick em in and stuff a rag around em to keep the slosh down... run up to the deck and cut holes for each... it'll look cool.. kinda like rocket launcher holes eh... when you are filled up you can get some ole JD corks and stuff in em to keep the bugs out! i'd get some duct tape and a few of those neato plaid bungy cords to hold all the tanks down temporarily.. pound some cedar shingles in between em to keep em from rubbing, squeaking and all... the cedar will give off a wonderful fresh aroma upon cover removal and it'll double as a moth deterrant! Neato EH! heck mix some DECON in for a mouse deterrant too if you wanna! now get yourself a dozen cans of fix-a-flat and squirt the heck out of it! WHALA she's foamed right in and sealed from leaks forever!

slap the deck on, get some JB Weld to tab it in on the back side and some 10 penny nails to put the rub rail back on! and man you're ROCKIN!!!!

ain't that right matty! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mattyboy
11-06-2003, 03:31 PM
jb weld like 5200 but stronger!!! wink :p wink

hehehehe

Matty

Big Yank
11-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Rootsy, your a nut!

ToonaFish
11-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Clearly, Rootsy's speed wasn't the most frightening part of riding with him...
eek! eek! eek!

Walt. H.
11-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey Rootsy,

I just read your post eek! Man you gotta vent your shop when working with paint thinners!!! :) :D :p :rolleyes:

Walt :)

mphatc
11-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Note to self:

Drink with Rootsy, his stories and ideas will keep you laughing all night . . . :D eek!

BUT . . .

Don't ride in his boat . . . wink

MPHATC