PDA

View Full Version : Project Ski Sporter

Big Yank
11-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Well I have already learned somthing, my minx is realy a 71 Ski Sporter. Thanks Matty for clearing that up.

If I replace the old 302 and Volvo drive does any one have a suggestion on a new motor and drive. I am looking to get a minimum 60 mph out of the new setup.

Rootsy
11-03-2003, 02:02 PM
the most cost effective way to get her over 60 and to handle A LOT BETTER with minimal HP is gonna be an alpha SS... check out some of the recent posts...

keep the 302, go through it, make it 270 hp or so.. find some old merc 888 bellhousing, coupler, shift assy, etc, components to make her bolt up to the merc transom assy and have at it.. alpha transom assemblies are a dime a dozen and don't cost all that much to rebuild...

there are 2 SS's for sale here and one on Ebay right now if you hurry...

only downside will be the right hand rotation of the SS... if you have a port helm.

it'll all be reliable though!

if you keep the volvo and put some hp to her you can get her to 60... if you can come across some props that work well...

mattyboy
11-03-2003, 03:10 PM
why the frowny face Big Yank hey It's a Donzi
and a fun one to drive, listen to rootsy he knows

Matty

JimG
11-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Big Yank, is the "old" 302 a Holman Moody?

MOP
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
I will be offing an Alpha setup that from what I can see has a very tight gimble not in need of rebuild and the drive was changed out recently, it will be complete from Chevy bell housing to drive 21" Merc SS wheel. It will not come with PS & Trim pumps, I need them for the Arneson. For real good input send mail to Walleye it was his dads boat all fresh water use.