PDA

View Full Version : Project Minx

Big Yank
11-03-2003, 09:59 AM
I am a new member to this site and hope some of you can help with a rebuild project I am starting.

I have a 71 Minx in original condition that need to be re-powered. :confused: I am leaning towards replacing the original 302 and Volvo drive with a new fuel injected V8 and new out drive. My question is would I be decreasing the "classic" value of the boat by re-powering with non-original spec. power and drive units? Should I consider rebuilding the existing motor and drive instead of replacing with new? I plan to keep the thru-hull exhaust either way.

mattyboy
11-03-2003, 10:03 AM
this is the place for that kinda help, if it is a 71 it's not a minx , could be a gt or a hornet maybe
welcome aboard post pics you'll get the help you need

Matty

Big Yank
11-03-2003, 10:34 AM
I thought it was a Minx. It has the bathtub molded in cock pit. That's a Minx right?

mattyboy
11-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Big Yank
look at the model list
the minx became available in 1986
click this link

http://www.donzi.net/dlist/index.htm

an look at the pics maybe you can find something that looks close
hope that helps
here's a minx
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell525.jpg

posting pics would really help, you'll find all the info you need here

Matty

Big Yank
11-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks I will check the site.

I don't have a photo, but the Gallery photos on this site under "Eufaula 2000 Labor Day Roundup" has a pic. of the same boat. The yellow one w/ the green stripe and interior is what I have.

mattyboy
11-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Big Yank
that is a 16 classic with the 3+1 seating or wrap around it is called the skisporter it is not a rare model but that doesn't mean it is any less desireable. the 16 is a fun boat for smaller water and can be made to be quite fast,I have a 16 skisporter with the volvo setup and a 351w my boat is high 50's can hit 60's with the right conditions, the volvo is strong but has some disadvantages like no trim( but it can be added) and they are heavy, props can be hard to find but parts in general are readily available, if you decide to change drive to merc that's okay too just make sure you have the right setup.

hope that helps
search on Forrest Colie 16
Jamie Root 16

Matty