PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pearson a Real Gem!

rustnrot
11-03-2003, 06:53 AM
I'm sure that is old news to those of you who know Scott. I've only known Scott a few days (through the internet) and he is one helluva guy!. He volunteered (without knowing me) to bring my new (to me) 1967 16' V-drive from NY to NJ yesterday. Wouldn't you know it, it had a blowout on the trailer but Scott took care of all of it in stride! Apparently this is not the first time that Scott has had a trailer tire blow out bringing a Donzi from NY to NJ. Thanks a million, Scott!!

About the boat, Scott is taking pictures of it today and we will get some posted here. It is baby blue with a v-drive and a 289, white interior. Supposedly PO had engine rebuilt but it has a "knock". I'm not usually this casual about buying boats but I bought this one sight unseen (a few internet pics only). Needless to say I am getting a new trailer before I go from GA to NJ to pick it up.

A million questions will come but for now I know it has a Crusader 1:1 v-drive, 12x14 LH prop, and an unknown tranmission (velvet drive perhaps) inside. Apparently the v-drives are rare, this especially so being a 16. Stay tuned.

Team Jefe
11-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Rusty - You will find out that in this family, real gems are a dime a dozen. I cease to be amazed at what the members here will do for each other.

Pearson, you're all right....I don't care what Van Alstine Says ! :D

JEFE

catch 22
11-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Rustnrot, Sounds like a cool set up. What trailer did you deside on. Keep us posted. Jim :)

mattyboy
11-03-2003, 08:15 AM
OH HIS A REAL GEM ALRIGHT!!! wink :p :D eek! :D

good luck with the project Rustnrot and when it's done I hope you change your board name to gleam and shine or something wink :p :D

welcome aboard

Matty

Bob
11-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Rustnrot- You will have a blast with that set up. Crusader V drives are bullet proof-just make sure you keep enough lube in them. Use 80-90 wt non-foaming. I have one in my Hornet behind the Velvet drive. Lets see the photos!

TuxedoPk
11-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Scott provided me with a lot of help answering countless questions before I purchased my first Donzi..

Just a word of caution, I know who Scott is friends with so make sure you don't leave for GA without your rudder :) wink wink :D

ToonaFish
11-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Congratulations! Now, has anyone warned you NOT to let Pearson near your attic?

Bunches,

Celene 'no Toona cans, yet'

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/innocent600.jpg

FR :p

olredalert
11-03-2003, 07:55 PM
------Love that name.Thats a keeper.
------Pearsons a keeper too!We wouldnt let him leave even when he thought he wanted to!Careful though or he will have you painting your 16 some gorgeous pearl color,inside and out.
------You will find almost any of the members,new or old,will help you do just about anything,from buying,thru restoring and even into selling when you are stepping up to the next DONZI.If you are leaving the fold just dont tell us.We dont want to see any one leave.We are all having too much fun!.......Bill S

Scott Pearson
11-04-2003, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words...ohhh and ladies :D . I will tray and take some pictures today. I didnt get in from work until late yesterday. I will shhot for tonight.

Ahhhh and yes....its always and adventure leaving NY with a new boat.

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
11-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Well then stop taking boats out of NY!!!!!! :p wink :D
and as I recall it was me freezing my ass off on the jet ski!!! wink :D

Matty

rustnrot
11-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Yes, that is the boat. What can I expect with the standard 289, 50 mph? The early 16's had no tabs, is this a problem or not really below 50 mph or so.

mattyboy
11-04-2003, 09:12 AM
you'll want tabs, wink
not sure on the numbers on a v-drive, I would think your in the ballpark.

good luck keep us posted
Matty

olredalert
11-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Matty,

-----Im not so sure he will need tabs.The fella with the 427 Corsican V-drive near me runs about 60mph.You would think he would do more but there is so much hull in the water that the boat just cant reach its potential.As a trade off the boat turns like its on rails,and is extremely stable.
-----Maybe a rocker set-up like Geoo has installed on Mighty Mouse?You might generate some lift that way?
-----With an absolutely stock 289 I dont think the boat will hit 50mph but it might.Build a nasty 347 stroker and you might equal the Corsican mentioned........Bill S

-----As a sidebar; Be sure how much water is under you at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattyboy
11-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Good points Bill,
but I like the tabs on a 16 for the side to side leveling.

Matty

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-04-2003, 03:23 PM
I know a guy with an 18' V-drive Donzi. It doesn't have tabs and his boat runs a little on the wet side. Add to that the foward weight distribution of the V-drive setup (as compared to the outdrive) -AND- the hook that's built into the bottom of the 16, and I think tabs would be a total waste of time and money.
If you want to trim the boat side to side,... well that's what passengers are for!

FR :p

P.S. Here are the other two shots I took when I checked it out this summer:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/innocent2600.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/innocent3600.jpg

mattyboy
11-04-2003, 05:11 PM
the hook is in the water on plane in a v-drive 16!
eek! learn something new everyday wink

Matty

olredalert
11-04-2003, 07:06 PM
------Man,that boat is a cutie!Good find...........Bill S