PDA

View Full Version : 2003 - 2004 College Bowl Challenge

boldts
12-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 finishers. 1st place will receive $75. 2nd place finisher will receive $50 and the 3rd place finisher will receive $25. Points will be awarded as 1 point for every correct bowl game winner picked. Tie breaker will be person closest to the actual Nokia Sugar Bowl score.

It's all done for the 2003 - 2004 season. Congratulations to LSU and USC in sharing the National Championship. Looking forward to the 04 - 05 College Football season! Thank-you to the Donzi Registry Harbormaster for keeping our contest up on top for us!

Last but not least, Congratulations to our now 2 years in a row, CBC Champion, Jim Dannreuther who also shared the closest to the actual Sugar Bowl final score with Steve Smith and a difference of 4 points! Great job Jim and Steve! Here are our final standings.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jim Dannreuther - 19 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 4 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Doug Glendening - 18 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 9 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tony Sporer - 18 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 17 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ToonaSaladBowl - 15 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 14 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Team Hula Girl - 15 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 16 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">RedDog - 15 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 24 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">MattyBoy - 14 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 27 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">BoldtsBowlGuesses - 13 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 17 <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Steve Smith - 12 wins - Sugar Bowl Score Dif = 4<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Forrest
12-08-2003, 11:40 AM
boldts:
Not to stir things up with anyone, but does anyone else think LSU should be playing USC for the National Championship?

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Yes&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

olemissalum
12-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Yes, LSU vs USC should be the game. I know that Oklahoma is an outstanding team but they are not even the BIG 12 champs. Sorry Darrell,I am sure you will disagree wink
Maybe I will repeat this year as champion of this pick 'em. Good luck and thanks Scott for putting this together.

ToonaFish
12-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Finally, I can reveal my secret formula for picks... last year I believe I placed last in the CBC utilizing a silly alphabetical system. I chose the team with the "higher" in the alphabet letter name to win... clearly a bad idea.

This year I'll sweep the CBC by having picked the teams with the "lower" alphabetical name. Doh.

Bunches,

Celene 'starving the fever, feeding the dog'

CDeal1
12-19-2003, 01:55 PM
I think my Memphis Tigers should be #1 since we won the first bowl game of the year.

Tony
12-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Scott...didn't Jim D. win last year? Is he a pro or something? Me, I'm just lucky and will soon crash down to earth, I'm sure. I'd much rather be leading late than leading early. Plenty of games left...good luck everyone!

boldts
12-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Yep, Jim is our defending Champion from last year. (I need to find out what stats he's using to pick his teams!) :D

olemissalum
12-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Ancient Chinese secret :D

ToonaFish
12-30-2003, 10:51 PM
"Ancient Chinese Secret."

So's mine.

Bunches,

Celene 'it takes a special talent to pick so many losers'

boldts
12-31-2003, 05:23 AM
Well, were at the half way point today. A couple of you knew about Fresno State, but everyone expected Texas to come out on top. How the heck were they ranked #5? I guess the golden boys of UCLA don't like to play in the mud? At least the whole state of TX hasn't let me down this year. Thank-you Texas Tech! :)

Next year, I'm going to have to look into the book of Chinese proverbs! wink

boldts
12-31-2003, 02:46 PM
And the Big 10 does me another favor today. It's teams are 0-3 now. Sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come :) GO Bucks and dare I say, GO Blue :D

olemissalum
01-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Man, I thought the Gators would at least put up a fight. Iowa is sticking it to those Gators. Got that one wrong!!!

boldts
01-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Guess I should have listened to our FL brethren instead of ESPN's experts wink RedDog was the only team with the guts to take Iowa against Florida.

boldts
01-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Congratulations to the University of South Carolina in winning the Capital 1 College Mascot Challenge :) To bad you don't have a picture of your mascot at the school's website. I would have liked to include a picture of your Gamecock mascot.

boldts
01-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Tuff day for team Boldt. 1-3 Thanks Miami! Even that game was a nail biter though! :rolleyes: Big ten is 2-5 :( I guess the Trogans were better than their schedule showed them to be. Looks like the Big Ten teams like to party to much while at their bowl games and since most fans including me still believe "Don't take a Big Ten team in a Bowl pick-em", the tradition seems to be continuing. I did however decide to pick Michigan who disappointed. Now with the Kanas State allegations, Ohio State has to be favored a little more in that game. We'll see what happens at 8:00pm.

Forrest
01-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Oh well . . . at least it's nice to see that the 'Canes played no where near championship level football this year. If it wasn't for Payton, you guy wouldn't even gone to bowl game. He's great, but I hope he graduates soon and gets a job in the NFL. Congrats on squeaking out that 16-14 BCS bowl win on your home field.

Congrats to USC - college football is now over till Labor Day weekend.

Forrest
01-02-2004, 10:45 AM
MadPoodle:
. . . I would say no Florida team played at a championship level this past season.. Ours, yours, or Cuda's..
Amen to that statement. None of us deserve to be mentioned with the likes of USC or LSU.

Scott, I would like to take you up on that offer, but unfortunately, that game conflicts with Eufaula 6. For that reason, it's going to have to be TV in the X-18 (or 16), or TV in the motel room, or TV in some back-woods Alabama bar - but if we do that, I'll bring Emmo for protection. BTW, what time does that game get under way?

-----------
Forrest

Surviving (now another) somber "day after" in Tallahassee.

olemissalum
01-02-2004, 07:17 PM
All I care is that my REBELS won!!!!!!!!!

boldts
01-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Holy Cow, where the heck were the Vols tonight? Doug Glendening sure doesn't care about the Vols as he was the only contestant to take the Clemson Tigars :) That win puts Doug right up there in the mix for the top spot.

Early in the 1st quarter, the Bucks look like they came to play tonight. :D

olemissalum
01-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Scott, I'm with you there. Really thought the a top 10 team could handle Clemson, or atleast put up a fight. Doug had the "Chinese proverbs" on that one. wink

Tony
01-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Good job Buckeyes! Yes, the Big Ten was woeful again, overall, and my Spartans in particular really stunk. If I would have picked that one with my head instead of my heart I would have a one game lead on Jim D.!

So, it looks like no need for a tiebreaker for first place. There was no way I could pick a team coached by Nick "the mercenary traitor" Saban...GO SOONERS!

ToonaFish
01-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by MadPoodle:
Hmm, forgot about that.. OK, so if I pack the 12 volt TV, we can watch on the island whilst grilling??

Only if the Georgia game isn't on!

Bunches,

Celene 'if ball games only lasted the first half, the Dawgs would be the National Champs'

olemissalum
01-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Scott, thanks again for having the bowl pick em. Got lucky two years in a row. My secret is not betting on the games wink because as soon as I do that I lose all ability to choose the right team :D I also can not accept the $$$ for this, if you want just send it to the Harbormaster with your name on it. I just enjoyed participating. Thanks again and look forward to next year!!!!

boldts
01-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Jim, my pleasure and I'll be happy to send your winnings in to the Harbormaster. I don't buy that no betting excuse though as I am not a betting man either and it sure didn't help me this year :D You did a great job with your picks. Might have to come up with some kind of award to send to our Champion each year. The way your predicting your winners, there may be no need to ship it anywhere for a while :)

Tony
01-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Scott,
I, also, thank you for running this contest...it is fun to track picks and results. Please donate my third place prize money to the Midwest Donzi Club.

Doug G
01-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi Scott,

From the Motor City, thanks for running this. Please forward my winnings to the Harbormaster as well. :D

101 days til launch!! :D :D

Thanks again, and to everyone, may you all have a safe, prosperous and happy New Year.

Doug

boldts
01-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Thank-you Jim, Doug and Tony for your generous donations. Tony, you asked that the Midwest Donzi Club receive your winnings, but I as President of the club would like to send your money to the Harbormaster also. With-out Donzi.net and members like everyone who participates on it's boards, there would be no Midwest Donzi Club.

I'd like to also use this opportunity to invite any and all Registry members who haven't, to join the club. There is no membership fee and the whole idea behind the club is to let other Donzi owners along with Aronow company built boat owners a place to meet other owners. We get together once a year at an annual gathering to enjoy each other and our boats. It's always a pleasure to see Magnums, Cigarettes, and other Aronow boats at the gathering.

For those of you who are members of the club and you haven't sent me a picture of your boat, please do so! Our website is also used to show future owners what the boat they are wanting or looking for looks like. I ask this of all our members. (It makes my computer screen saver better all the time also.)

Have a wonderful 2004 and I hope to meet or see as many of you as possible.