PDA

View Full Version : Question about Georgia Lakes

mamakin
10-04-2003, 06:40 AM
For ya'll who boat in Georgia or have boated here!

I live 10 minutes from Lake Oconee (70 miles east of Atlanta)and just to get a boat ride fix, we do go boating there ocassionally. I personally think its a shallow mud hole. You can be running the lake and go from 20' to 2' in an instance. They didn't clear the trees when they made the lake and they are still sticking up everywhere. Good for fishing, not for pleasure boating. Can anyone recommend a nice lake in GA or even Alabama and SC? How is Lake lanier?

I spend most of the summer on cumberland and would like to be able to find a "nice" lake closer to home to extend our boating season.

TIA

Dr. Dan
10-04-2003, 09:14 AM
:D Tomahawk,BadTat & The Grizmeister can give you specifics...from what I understand....it is a great place to boat and offers diverse water!

www.lanierharbor.com (http://www.lanierharbor.com)

Doc :cool:

MOP
10-05-2003, 07:04 AM
Lake Lanier has to be a mind trip for anyone that has not seen it including ME! Being a yacht broker I have sold s few Ocean sized boat to guys that boat on it. I also tried to sell a 60 foot McGregger sail boat with very deep draft that was sailing that lake. Its definitely deep enough for our Donzi's.

mamakin
10-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys! I hope the others that boat there pop in and give me their views also!

Actually, We leave our Donzi in KY at cumberland. We have a little SeaRay here at home in Ga for our boat ride fixes. I couldn't imagine putting our Donzi on Lake Oconee, Heck I hate putting my SeaRay in that lake, have hit sandbars with it. But a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do for boatride withdrawls! :D

Sounds like Lanier must be deeper/cleaner if they put those bigger boats on it. The lanier website says they even have a poker run on it! COOL! I'll have to check and see if the mapsource CD has lanier on it for the GPS.

tmdog
10-05-2003, 10:24 AM
If you like boating, you will love Lake Lanier. Many islands that dot the lake offer nice beaches for any activity you enjoy. Miles of open water 40 mi. "Grizz quote".Many ramps to load and unload. I live in N. Ga. and love it. JIM

BigGrizzly
10-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Here goes: Lake Lainer is a rather deep lake I have seen over 120 feet on my deoh guage. It is 40 miles long and 5 miles wide with over 400 miles of coast line very wide chanels even at low water there isn't nuch of a problem. Altitude id 1071 above sealeval. There is some serious iron on this lake with well over 25 100 plus mile an hour boats that are verified and these are not the race boats just plrasure boats. Weekends can be crouded on holiday weekends in the south lake sections. Labor weekend is not my favorite weekend all the Gulf boats come home to flush out. There are some veru large and high dollar boats here also. Its nice to be here thoe

Greg K
10-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Another is Lake Hartwell on the SC/GA border. It's easily accessible from I-85. About 2 hours east from downtown Atlanta. 56,000 acres of water and around 950 miles of shore line.

boldts
10-05-2003, 09:04 PM
mamaken, just wondering what model Donzi your keeping at Cumberland? The Midwest Donzi Club has held a gathering at Lake Cumberland for the last 3 years now. Next years dates are May 20th thru 23rd. We run the gathering out of the Jamestown Resort. Would like to have you join us if possible next May. Sorry to get off subject. But they have a Donzi at Cumberland and thought they should be a part of our party :D

rustnrot
10-05-2003, 10:03 PM
mamakin, bring your Donzi over to Lake Thurmond aka Clark Hill Lake near Augusta. We've got plenty of water this year. We are also bigger (yes, bigger) than either Hartwell or Lanier with very low crowds ever. There are a few of us just getting into Donzi's and would love to see your boat. Give us a shout. We'll show you wooden boats that we restored and repowered.

mamakin
10-06-2003, 04:02 AM
Thanks everyone!!!! Ya'll have been very helpful! Looks like I've got some lakes to check out here!

Boldts, thank you for the invite! Yes I have heard about the Donzi gatherings at cumberland, Are they always in May? I'm thinking they are, because we've never been able to be at the lake when they are held because of business. We've got the baby Donzi. 2000 Z23 sportdeck, red/white w/black graphics named Byte Me. Its the only donzi deckboat on cumberland (that we have seen).
If you frequent cumberland in the summer, would love to hook up with you or any of the forum members! I'm close to Conley Bottom, but do go anywhere from the party cove to 76 falls and all points inbetween!

rustnrot, cute nick! I've heard of Clark Hill, actually have seen the signs outside of Augusta, I thought it was just a little lake! Will definitly have to check it out! Sorry, won't have the Donzi tho, we never bring home to Ga.

Thank you all again! Have a wonderful week!