PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Barriers Removed; Winterization Unecessary!

Craig
10-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Good grief I've done it!

Well I can't take all the credit; this "vision" came to me this frosty morning while I happened to be looking at my old Cobalt catalog (this was even before coffee).

While the picture (below) did sort of inspire the idea, I think I can safely say that I have all but solved the seasonal barrier for northern boaters and virtually eliminated the need for winterization!

Look at the pic below. It's an entire lake of green anti-freeze. Probably no one stumbled on to this before because this picture was probably done at Cobalt's secret testing lake, somewhere out in Kansas in the late 60's while they were secretly popping Donzi molds.
Here's the picture:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann600.jpg
Here's my idea:
An entire lake, strategically constructed in the central U.S. (I'm looking at properties now), filled entirely with antifreeze! It's such an obvious solution for depressed boaters everywhere. Why didn't I think of this before?

Of course I'll need some money...

I've estimated the cost (beyond the part about digging a big hole) to include the initial filling, assuming a 50 ac. lake at a depth of 7.5' to be in the ball park of 123,000,000 gallons of anti-freeze (100% mix.). So, at$3.00 /gal., there's about $370 mil. just to get started.

This volume was calculated assuming vertical interior lake walls intentionally. Also, some kind of PVC or geotextile lining will be needed for the entire floor and walls (I'll figure that in later; I'm too excited about this right now).

Anyway, the vertical armored lake walls will eliminate the need for any kind of no-wake zones so the speed limit on "my lake" will be posted as simply "W.O.T."

There will be no worries about "puree-ing" Manatees since, I don't think they are typically found in 100% anti-freeze in their natural habitat. So, in a sense, the lake will be "Manatee friendly" (because they'd not survive there in the first palce).

The related down side to that will be, of course, no fishing.

Come to think of it, no ice skating.

Limited water skiing sould be okay. I would recommend the use of dry suits.

I am still working on the rain problem (i.e. the addition of fresh water from the sky), but it might not be a problem as even up to a nice 50%/50% blend still works well for freeze prevention.

Not sure what I'll do with regard to a spillway yet. That could mess up the whole works. Additional water from rain causing a mix of water and anti-freeze to spew out into clear running streams. Yep, that could be a problem.

However, in an effort to keep it a somewhat environmentally friendly lake, I have planned (at least) to still have a fresh water flushing station for when you leave the lake. This will be a must.

Otherwise, not only would boats be hauling anti-freeze to other "fresh-water" lakes and waterways, but they'd be stealing about $9.00 worth of anti-freeze every time they came (left) (whatever)! That would break me in a hurry!

Well, that's about it for now. If this is something you would like to support, your donations would be appreciated.

Oh, one more thing, I called the Prestone people this morning. First try, they hung up on me. I called back, they hung up again! I called back and said real quick like: "I'M GONNA BUY 123 MILLION GALLONS OF XEREX ANTI_FREEZE IF SOMEBODY DOESN'T TALK TO ME!!!!" This got me in touch with the head guy. He's willing to work with this idea and give me a discounted per gallon price if I agree to name it "Lake Prestone".

Told him I'd have to think about it. I thought it would be cool to have a lake named after me.

Lake Craig? Na!, It doesn't work... Lake Zimmermann? Oooh! I like it.

Forrest
10-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Craig, you're out there, but I like it! However, you might want to check with that State's Department of Environmental Protection before you start that project. You never know, you just may need to obtain a permit or two to do such a project.

Also, you would probably stand a better chance of getting this project off the ground while the Republicans are still in office. You never know, some ex-hippie tree-hugging Democrat may want to try to put a stop to it, or at the least, dilute the antifreeze solution to where it won't help your engine fend off the cold. What is wrong with people who would want impede such a project? I mean this thing would be good for the economy and would sure help with employment in the ethylene-glycol industry. Also, you will need employees to maintain the lake's 50/50 balance, not to mention and increase in fuel and other marine related sales in the area, and like a State Park, you could charge user fees. It sounds like a win-win for everyone. Just put a few signs up that say, "Don't drink the lake water, or uh, lake solution" and, "Sorry no pets allowed", and you'll be in business.

Hmmmmm . . . Lake Prestone - That has a good ring to it.

I sense an upcoming mid-winter Donzi event at Lake Prestone!

How 'bout, Awakening of the Anti-Freeze (AOTAF) :D :p wink

Craig
10-24-2003, 02:28 PM
That sounds like one favorable response. Now about those permits...

Actually, I knew a guy that had the means to build a "non-antifreeze" lake (seriously). That is, of the fresh water variety. He was shot down due to wetlands present at the site. That's no surprise now, but this was about 15- 20 years ago believe it or not.

More recently, some folks proposed a nice man made lake in our area. Would have been a dandy. They had studies, nice maps and info. in our local newspaper articles, etc., etc. Again; shot down.

It's a good thing the corps of engineers built a bunch of lakes a long time ago cause they sure can't do it now.

I know some argue about this and there are some who even push to have big dams removed depending on the situation.

Where has common sense gone. We need more lakes to go boating on.

Hmmm? I like some of those ideas Forrest, sort of a private state park? Is that possible?

Ooops, gotta go, the guy from Prestone is calling back on line 2.

Ed Donnelly
10-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Nix the Prestone. You will have to go with Plumbers antifreeze. Enviroment friendly and doesn't kill dogs. Make it a public company and list it on the NYSE. I am good for at least 2 or 3 shares...Ed

Craig
10-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Okay; these are good ideas, but again, that change would effect the name... Hmmm?

I think Shakespeare was wrong when he said "What's in a name?" The name is important.
"Plumber's Anitfreeze Lake" .... doesn't really sound inviting enough.

Perhaps simply "Plum Lake." Not bad, but sounds, perhaps, a bit too much like a ballet. Swan Lake -Plum Lake... That's no good. Oh well.
Maybe "Plummer Lake" without the "b".... like a family name. That's not bad.

This is important stuff! I mean it's gonna be a hard enough PR job to get people interested in a neon green lake.

I thought about the pink anti-freeze, but the label says that it gels up a little when it's real cold. Plus, you know you're not gonna get many go-fast boat owning males to come to a "pink" lake.

No, it has to be green.

boldts
10-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Craig,

I most have to much time on my hands, because I'm sitting here reading this and thinking, "Why Not?"

I've got a little different thought on it though. Make it an indoor lake. Yes, indoor! It would be like the Empire State Building of NY or the Astro Dome of Houston, TX. It would be a top ten "Wonder of the World"

Now, since it is indoor, you eliminate the need for Anti-Freeze (Sorry Prestone) and you have no run off. How-ever the increase in jobs simply moves to other areas. Construction, water filtering, heating and AC for year around operation, marinas, dealers of not only boats, but food, lodging, clothing, best thing is it could still be built to resemble a state park inside with trees and ground fowledge that grows year around.(We have an indoor garden at my work place complete with water falls, trees, flowers and fountains) You would need baffles in the walls to dissipate the wake kind of like "Soft Walls" and I think cranes for launching the boats vs launch ramps. Parking for trucks and trailers would remain outside. Winter snow removal jobs available. Building would need large exhaust fans in the ceiling to remove all the thru-hull exhaust and sounds.

Biggest problem I see with this is the roof span. There has to be some engineer out there looking to put his or her name in the great feats of life history book who could come up with a way to place a roof over a 50 mile long by 2 or 3 mile wide lake. How wide does the Golden Gate bridge span? Something like that might work. I mean ships are able to miss the foundations of the supports. Couldn't 100 MPH boats do it?

There would have to be an entrance fee just like you pay to go roller skating or ice skating indoors. Would $100 a day be to much to pay for not only the use of the lake, but launching your boat and parking the truck?

Heck, they have indoor pools where you can go to a place just like the beach and even surf. Why not a lake with no weather concerns where every day of the year is a perfect boating day! I think it could be so popular that reservations a year in advance could be possible. People from all over the world would come just to see this marvel in construction. Could you imagine the gatherings that could be held in this place? Every boat club in existence from old to new could schedule a weekend. Now you just brought the catering folks into the mix. Support from the boat builders. What do you think about an indoor off-shore race? Wave pools have waves, the indoor lake could also. The flat bottom drag boats could run on it, maybe even a ski race like Catalina.

Of course our permit list and cost just increased, but what a feat this project would be! Like Mount Rushmore and might take years to complete. You and I may not even live long enough to see it when completed. Wow, it gives me chills just thinking about it. A boaters paradise :)

HyperDonzi
10-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Can you tell the colors are changing? HAHA, I like the idea though. And I am already used to a green lake. Forget it, I should just move to florida.

Ed Donnelly
10-25-2003, 04:51 PM
What are you guys thinking?? Far cheaper for 250 registry guys to buy a private marina in Florida,buy a scraped Concorde,and be in Florida from anywhere in the country in an hour or less.At $25,000 per member a year = $6 1/4 million a year to carry the mortgages.Ed

boldts
10-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Ed, I like it, but you still have the salt factor which will add to the owner's expense. The indoor lake is nothing but good clean fresh water running through the engine and exhaust pipes. Not to mention not messing up the electronics of our favorite Donzi boats :)

Add a landing strip for the Concord to the plans and get Air22 to fly it for us and anyone can be in the Midwest in a 1/2 hour or less :D

boldts
10-25-2003, 11:37 PM
Yep, Poodle you do. (I used one to flush the Donzi on it's way back North from Sota) :D The locals didn't appreciate the thru-hull though ringing thru the marsh wink

You guys have most of the National Championship teams down there, can't the Midwest have the only indoor lake right in the middle of the country? Oh and we would both have a problem of getting all those nice offshore type fishing and speed boats to an inland lake whether it be in FL or the Midwest. While the indoor lake would require trailers to get the boats there, you would need permits to build a canal to the ocean and some way to remove the salt so that your fresh water lake remains fresh water. Then, you got that manatee ordeal and a five hour no-wake ride to get to your fresh water lake :rolleyes:

Grabing the beer, pop-corn and the lazy-boy for this one.

Donzigo
10-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Every once in a while, you read about some woman slowly poisoning her husband by mixing anti-freeze in his tea until he croaks. So, there should be "NO TEA ZONE" signs erected at the entrances..........just to be sure.

Ed Donnelly
10-26-2003, 08:31 AM
The boys to the south have way too much fun already, with their 12 month boating season.. Lets exclude them with my foolproof brainwave idea..
4 skis fastened to the bottom of the northern Donzis.Drives up and locked. Engine and prop from a swamp boat fastened on top of the engine hatch.Then on to any of our beautiful unpolluted frozen lakes.We have now extended our boating season by an additional 3 months.The southern boys could never handle our brisk fresh air..Ed

Craig
10-27-2003, 06:47 AM
Oh man, I hadn't checked in for a few days. This is a riot!

Scott - You're right; I thought I was going to be accused of having too much time on my hands just for writing the initial post, but I think you've topped me.

Great ideas! I think this thing is getting too big for me. I may have to leave it in more capable hands.

Still have some suggestions though: I do like the idea of an entirely "indoor" facility, although I don't know what I'm going to tell the anti-freeze people. They were really liking the idea. They're gonna hate to lose this contract.

One important adjustment I see is that we will surely have to increase the initially suggested 50 acres. I mean, shoot, folks flock to crowded outdoor lakes now; often even if the weather is crummy. Projects always get bigger than planned. It's only a budget that we'd be messing up. On the plus side, hey you've eliminated the anti-freeze cost.

I like it! I like it!

Donzigo -- That thing about an old lady poisoning her hubby...we could do something with that if we stayed with the anti-freeze idea.
Doesn't that come from the old classic "Arsenic and Old Lace??"

We could raise money for project funding by getting someone to produce a parody movie for the cause. You know, like the old "Airport" movie parody "Airplane." We could call the movie "Anti-freeze and Old Lace" (same basic idea).

Oh and I like the soft wall idea too for calm areas, but I thought the vertical walls could serve to churn things up and sort of simulate ocean waves. I know! We could incorporate "THE WORLD"S LARGEST WAVE MACHINE" for off-shore simulation. Could maybe devote 40-50 acres just to that.... a mini ocean!!! The heck with just a lake. That's small thinking!!!!!!!!!!

Options, options, options....

Giant waves...hmmmm??? I think we'll have to increase the pool depth now too. Someone make a note of that....

BigGrizzly
10-27-2003, 06:56 PM
I don't winterize I just drain the exhaust and inlet hose. Oh I forgot I.m closed cooling. sorry

ToonaFish
10-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Just one question... when are y'all going to get your projects done if you boat year round?

I mean, look at Jamesbond and Poodles Crit and Bizuilla... the Florida guys get them apart and then never get around to putting them back together... with year round boating, you'd just end up buying a new Donzi every time you took one apart.

Bunches,

Celene 'life is one big project'

boldts
10-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Celene,

Have you ever seen a man work on something like there is no tomorrow when he knows he is going to use it tomorrow? Spent many a long night working on cars, boats, even the house if it meant I would be rewarded with the opportunity to have an enjoyable day the next day.

By the way, an exercised Donzi doesn't break. It also welcomes the chance to be used again! It's usually its owner trying something new that gets the boat taken apart. :D

Humm... a name for our indoor lake. How about Lake NevaBad after an Indian tribe of the great Midwest. When do we begin construction? Any engineers figured out our roof span yet? Anyone in Real estate looking for our land location yet? Think of all the boat manufacturers who would move their plants to the Midwest to have access to this facility. Lower taxes to boot!

Craig
10-29-2003, 05:38 AM
I don't know Scott; Toona makes a point. I (with my "stinkin'-rotten-summer-boat-time-consuming- outdrive-project" (as I've come to affectionately call it)) was, at one point, going to figure up what my grand total of "THREE" rides this summer cost me.

I mean, the cost of the repairs, tools I had to buy, my time, insurance, boat sticker, trailer tag sticker, gas, etc.

Then I thought, I probably don't want to go there. Each ride was probably only about 2-3 hours, so I could have figured the cost per hour or even per minute. I think it would depress me.

But then you have a point too... I think (or I could convince myself) that the need for repairs is just a result of all that winter down time. With the Cobalt, of course, I can't claim the "exercised Donzi's don't break thing" (I liked that)-- but hey, this summer was just a Volvo outdrive repair (same unit, so hey...)

Regarding the roof situation of Lake Winterfun: I checked with a place that makes roof trusses. They say "It can't be done."

What do they know! I think they just don't want to go boating in the wintertime bad enough!

harbormaster
10-29-2003, 08:33 AM
You can tell cabin fever is setting in....

Forrest
10-29-2003, 08:55 AM
ToonaFish:
... the Florida guys get them apart and then never get around to putting them back together... Put 'em back together! Hell, these days, I don't even get a chance to take 'em apart! eek!

ToonaFish
10-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Forrest:
Hell, these days, I don't even get a chance to take 'em apart! eek! Move to Pensacola...