PDA

View Full Version : 18 classic

yesyoucan
09-23-2003, 03:57 PM
I am in market for an 18 Classic.Would love to find a Corsican-I am coming out of a couple of old Chris-crafts.I would probably rather have a newer boat.Do not want anymore headaches.
Tell me about windshields.What is the general opinion of whether to have windshield or not.Do you actually sit above glass.
Any info of leads on good used boat appreciated.
Mark
Augusta,Ga.

Donzigo
09-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Look in the DONZIS FOR SALE section for good boats.

Don't bring up that "windsheild/no windsheild" issue brother, unless you can take the heat. It's a wide open question with lot's of opinions, so check your guns at the door and take your chances with that one :-)............

Good luck with your search!

harbormaster
09-23-2003, 06:58 PM
I have a 1995 model with a windshield. It does not shield you from wind or waves when you stuff it. It works well as a drink holder in rough water. I really like the looks of the boat with the windshield. It makes the boat look larger than one with a..... WEEEEEEEENIE bar. There I said it. :p :D :p

Rootsy
09-23-2003, 08:50 PM
weenie bar huh...

Root - weenie bar equipped :D

mattyboy
09-23-2003, 09:20 PM
WEENNIE BAR!!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :p wink :D

Matty

olredalert
09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Yesyoucan,

-----If you are looking for a Corsican you arent going to find a new one.I have the last one ever made and it's titled 1976.All Corsicans had windshields,unless like mine,they got broken and never replaced(It did get replaced after I ended up with it).
-----The Harbormasters DONZI is an extremely clean 18 with a fresh,crispy,newly redone 350.Last time I noticed his price with the new motor was extremely good.And(correct me if Im wrong)the boat is predominatly a fresh water boat.A little salt since its arrival in Texas a short while back,but no big whoop!
-----Hope this helps............Bill S

ToonaFish
09-23-2003, 09:55 PM
I'll vouch for the strength and endurance of Rootsy's weenie bar... eek!

Bunches,

Celene 'but a windshield gives me pleasure too'

Cuda
09-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Oh chit brother, you are better bringing up politics, religion, and mother in laws than the windsheild debate!

Personally, I like the windsheild, but I wouldn't let it make the decision whether to buy one or not. I would by the cleanest 18 I could find within whatever your budget is. If you can get one from a board memeber, you can be pretty sure it has been well loved.

Good luck with your search, it's almost as much fun as buying! :)

mattyboy
09-24-2003, 08:04 AM
Well Poodle if the windshield is correctly foamed in then I would use synthetic and a merc with a chopper gun but if the windshield is not then the only way to go is dino oil 10WTF and a volvo and hand layup wink Now a nice 18 can be found on ebay if the auction doesn't end early ....or if the winning bidders check is in the mail.

Let's see I think that's covers everything!!!! :p wink :D

Matty
"what I say to piss you off this time ,Honey?????

Greg K
09-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Then again what type of camshaft you have and type of filter you use, or if it's painted or gel coated.

Not a weenie..just a dork.

goatee
09-24-2003, 09:32 PM
lol cuda!
i like the look of a windsheild, and the shelter from the wind.

boldts
09-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Ahhh yes. Windshield or Not :) I owned a 18' Classic with-out. Loved every minute of it. What Harbormaster said about water when you stuff it is also true of course although the water probably lands in your lap rather than your neck or face eek! Of course, we never stuff our Donzis now do we :D We now have a 22 Classic with a windshield. Head is still above the shield although I have to agree with Harbormaster, the bow looks like it's out in front of you some 30'. My 6 year old daughter liked the 18 better because of the wind hitting her in the face which now she doesn't get due to the windshield. She gets over it real quickly when the engine comes to life :D

Good luck in your search. They are out there, just might take a while to find the one you want. You'll know it when you see it!

knee deep
09-26-2003, 05:24 AM
The true windshield boats are the older ones with the higher wrap around windshields. Therefore you only have two choices an older boat with that windshield or no windshield. The newer boats with that funny black and chrome slanted thing in front of the cockpit are beautiful boats also but by no means truly "Classic".

Regarding the gelcoat versus paint thing my boat is 1/2 and 1/2........

Get the popcorn into the fray Shoulder Deep!

boxy
09-26-2003, 06:34 AM
knee deep:
The true windshield boats are the older ones. Therefore you only have two choices an older boat with that windshield or no windshield. The newer boats with that funny black and chrome slanted thing are by no means truly "Classic".
W eek! W ....it's too early for popcorn, but I'll bet this post doubles in size by the time I get back from work..... :D

mphatc
09-26-2003, 07:08 AM
There is a Corsican available here in NH , NOT
MINE!! No way, I searched for 20 years to find it!

This boat is in need of serious work, it is all apart and has been for some time. It was painted a long time ago.
For details on this boat contact me off list please.

If you stuff a Corsican your head gets wet, the cockpit stays dry! Right Chris? biggrin. It's so short that the water goes over the top. While it happens you freak out worried about breaking the irreplaceable windshield . . . eek!

MPHATC

boxy
09-27-2003, 07:24 AM
Carmel corn for breakfast, salt and butter for dinner, beer chasers for both.

Looks like we didn't need too much anyway, I guess the onwers of newer 18 2+3's don't mind being told their boats aren't "classics" :D :D

TuxedoPk
09-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Blutarsky's Genth Era Corsican would probably be worth considering. It's got the rare "Super Size" rough water cup holder option. Could be the last surviving one with this option- but best cheking with CDMA. :p :D :p

tailwind
09-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Everyone has a different perspective:From an entirely engineering perspective, the numbers are still out there. It does seem that our yankee bros seem to prefer without windshields. For me personally , I do want the windshield. Although, not faster, it just looks cool!

mattyboy
09-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Well there ya have it :rolleyes:

Matty :p wink :D

Rootsy
09-28-2003, 07:05 PM
YEAH... and the last time Y'ALL tried to argue with us yankees we kicked your butts! so there ya have it matty.. without windshields it is :D and since i am an engineer i must be correct... wait i'll crunch the numbers just in case... yep... the ole numbers fall in favor of no windshield :D :p wink

Rootsy - weenie bar (with finger imprints) equipped... :p

DonCig
09-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Those without, Those with.
The age old dilema continues.
But the accounts and bankers always side with those with!

Sorry to those without,

Signed,

With

Scott Pearson
10-01-2003, 05:16 AM
Or you can just find a Bench Seat Hornet with a windshield (because they all had them) and call it a day. :p

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spear671.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spear672.jpg

(NJ)Scott :D

boxy
10-01-2003, 06:26 AM
MadPoodle:
Only the canuck transplant hasn't figured out that boating is better than talking about it. Your 12 days of summer are over :D :D :D

The other Scott

Guiness in the fridge. We are winterized :D wink I resent that remark, I'm not a transplant. :D
You're right about our 12 dys being up though, it was 35 F here this morning. Time to but away the patio furniture, and dig out the ski/snowboard stuff. Tremblant should open in a month.

Ranman
10-01-2003, 07:20 AM
I just don't understand why people find it so easy to take cheap shots at other people or their belongings. Maybe when you're behind a keyboard it's easier to make a comment you wouldn't make to someone's face. Maybe we forget their are actual people on the other end. I used to think this site was full of people who share a passion for Donzis regardless of what type or style. With all the negative comments I've seen lately, I guess those days are gone. :rolleyes:

Loving all Donzis, but shielded from the rest.

Rootsy
10-01-2003, 07:42 AM
the yankee engineer whom won';t winterize for 3 more weeks got it though rabid dog wink :D :p

hmmm whatever is in the 55 gallon drum and smells like antifreeze :D ...

or better yet.. remove engine, drain water and disassemble for winter skunk works wink

harbormaster
10-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Oh Yeah Knee deep. That means that the only classics are the ones with HM fords and volvos. Right? :D

Hey griz. Did you know that your Criterion is no longer a classic? :D

JimG
10-01-2003, 10:57 AM
I just don't understand why people find it so easy to take cheap shots at other people or their belongings. Maybe when you're behind a keyboard it's easier to make a comment you wouldn't make to someone's face. Maybe we forget their are actual people on the other end. Hey "Person posing as Ranman"! Who are you and what did you do with the real Ranman? :confused:

I can remember two "actual people" down here in Texas who's belonging's were slammed pretty hard. :o

That doesn't change my opinion of the Miata though. It's a great little car...for chicks. Chicks look great in them. Guys look... well goofy (translation: gay). Maybe it doesn't make you gay, but it makes you look gay. They may handle like a Lotus and be the best thing since sliced bread, but guys look silly driving Mazda Miatas. Feeling a little more mellow these days, are we? He he! :D

JimG

Ranman
10-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Poodle,

I wasn't talking about you. I get your jokes. Mostly. wink

Damn it Jim! You got me. Re-reading my own words is a bit strange. You have a point regarding my previous comments, however, for the most part I think we were teasing and it was in good fun (I hope). Again I apologize if I seriously offended you before. It just seems that there have been some comments made on the board lately that seem to have been "not in good fun". Maybe I'm paranoid and thinking people are taking shots at me when they're not. Anyway, guess I don't really care either way. Oh by the way, I still don't care for Miata's, but I'm sure it looks good on you. :D :D :D .

Now what the hell did I do with my lithium...

Ranman
10-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Jim, BTW, did you miss my other statements when you quoted me?

Guess I should have added some of those smiley face thingys. I didn't mean to blast anybody, it was just supposed to be good natured ribbing.
Guess I didn't come off that way. Well to continue the ribbing...
Anyway, I was just pickin' on you fellas. HEy gimmee a break, I do live in Detroit. I thought these were your wife's cars and not your pride and joy.
Anyway, this is too far off topic, so I'll leave it alone now.

JimG
10-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Just razzin' ya Randy! :D

I've come to the same conclusion that you have: It just doesn't pay to slam someone's "pride and joy" , even if you don't like it. That's real people on the other end, most likely someone you'd really like if you met them in person.

I'm guilty, too... I made a few comments about F-150's. :o I shouldn't have said anything, that's a real high-quality vehicle. Why, some of the nicest ladies I know drive F-150's! :D :D

JimG

BigGrizzly
10-01-2003, 06:13 PM
WOW rootsy is an engineer what traine does he drive.
A Criterion SS is not a Ceiterion- Let me see, it floats like a Criterion it sonunds like a criterion and has the same equipment as a Criterion and says Criterion on the side and rides like a Criterion-- so it must be a Classic with a wennie bar. Now I think I got it

TuxedoPk
10-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Poodle- I was out de-icing my hitch, what did I miss? :D wink :D

Rootsy
10-02-2003, 07:53 AM
TOOT TOOT :D

mattyboy
10-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Jamie ,
you sound like a tug boat!!! :p wink :D

and those Miata's are they with or without windshields??? :p eek! :D

Matty

boxy
10-02-2003, 11:30 AM
There was a Miata tucked tight under the bumper of my Dodge last week. He had a windshield when I looked in my rear view mirror, before I started to back up, but after I was clear of the parking spot it was gone. Maybe he has one of those new fangled retractable windshields. :D :D