PDA

View Full Version : Updated Donzi garage pictures.

Scott Pearson
09-21-2003, 07:25 AM
Here is an update on the progress of the garage. We set the I-beams yesterday. The second floor will be getting framed in another week or two. Still looking for a good cedar siding person....no luck yet. Garage should be done mid winter.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearbuild01.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearbuild02.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearbuild03.jpg

(NJ)Scott

smoothie
09-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Man Pearson...those are some serious beams,They should hold mattyboy and the kegs OK :D

Scott Pearson
09-21-2003, 08:28 AM
The I-Beams are W18X50 and almost 40 feet long. They weigh about 2000lbs each. We had a big crane here to place them. Took all but 20min to get both of them set. Then I came back and welded them to the plates on the pilasters. Should be strong enuff!

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
09-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Yeah for all the $#!+ and tuna cans on the east coast :p wink :D
Looks good Scott, coming along nicely.
Now more work less posting :p
I was gonna cut the grass and do some yard work today but it is too nice,
screw it it will be covered in snow soon enough,
so out on the boat I go wink
oh I forgot a day visiting family, damn I rather cut the grass

Matty

harbormaster
09-21-2003, 09:45 AM
awesome!!
How high are the goorways? 1st floor ceiling?

You have come a long way from the ice skating rink....

Scott Pearson
09-21-2003, 10:18 AM
The ceiling in the garage is 13 feet. The 2nd story will be 8 feet. To the peek of the roof will be 34 feet.

The 3 doors in the front are 10X10 and the door in the back is 11 1/2 X 12

Scot....your telling me! It was some mud hole. I brought in over 300 tons of stone!

(NJ)Scott

oldLenny
09-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Scott, I take it they are 18" high with a 5" flange...???

What is the mid-span load (static) rated at?

Are you putting up a couple of "cars" and hoists on the beams?

Also, are you putting the second floor on some freespan truss arrangement or are the beams going to take the load and thus limit your lifting ability?

...questions, questions, questions... :D

farmer tx
09-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Lenny,W18x50 means they are 18" tall and 50lb's per foot.

Mark

Scott Pearson
09-23-2003, 04:56 AM
Lenny,
Yes there is going to be a truss system. The weight will be on the front and back walls. The loads on the 2nd floor are 15lbs per sqf dead and 30lbs per sqf live.

I plan on a type of trolly system on the beams to lift decks, motors etc.

The beams are almost 7 1/2 inches wide.

(NJ)Scott

Donzi Blackhawk
09-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Looks great Scott. What are the provisions for the tool crib / work benches, unless this is a display only garage. Will it be heated?

Due to the nature of its future contents I suggest a contest to give it a name other than just "the garage".

Bryant (The Donzi Den)

Scott Pearson
09-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Bryant,
Yes it will be a working garage. I have all stainless steel work benches and cabinets that are going in. The heat will be radiant in the floors. Also a 9,000 lb 2 post lift will be going in the first bay to the right.

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
09-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Yes Bryant you are indeed correct, this structure needs a formal name:
well being it's contents are a chicken, a pumpkin,a hornet,a baby, a sportsman, and also might be visited by a white goat, and a guinea hen, and the bandit. I think redneck riviera, or
the new zoo revue is in order wink :p :D
And don't forget the most important specs on this building will be 43.5 degrees @ 11 lbs psi.
( for you tea toalers that would be the correct temp and flow for the beer out of the stainless steel double tap beer cooler.)
BTW if this is a working garage you won't see me near it, I don't touch the stuff..... eek! :rolleyes: :p :D

matty