PDA

View Full Version : Ski sporter article

MOP
08-26-2003, 01:50 AM
Found while cruising the net pasted up here, looked pretty factual

About the Ski Sporter.
With the retirement of the Boston Whaler 13, the Donzi 16 is one of the oldest fiberglass powerboat designs still in production.

The very first boat to wear the Donzi name was a little 16 foot runabout called the Ski Sporter. Its design layout, was based on an earlier wooden racing boat known as the 17 foot Wyn-Mil II. The Wyn-Mill II was later developed in to a production boat all on its own called the Formula Jr. two years after the introduction of the 16. Although the Formula Jr. and the 16 are very similar in design, they do not share any dimensions and should be considered completely different boats, derived from completely different proto-types. Designed by Jim Wynne and Walt Walters, the Ski Sporter was introduced in 1964. All pre OMC boats have a distinctive wrap around passenger seating arrangement. The newer two plus two seating arrangement boats re-introduced in '92 are referred to as the Sweet 16s or 16 2+2. I can find no official reference to any Wrap-a-round 16 being referred to as a "Sweet" 16. The Wrap around seating models are great for the boat's intended mission, that being a combination sport boat and ski boat, allowing a lookout passenger a view to the stern in a semi reclining position. Rough water pilots will quickly find their passengers complaining of neck and back aches as the side style seating arrangement is very hard on the body. Very early models came with Eaton C drives, which were soon replaced by Volvo Aquamatics in 65. Many of the early, 64 to 65, 16s were updated to H/M Ford small blocks and Volvo Drives. In the first three years of production (64-66), the 16s had metal scripts which spelled out "Donzi Marine."
From 1971 to 1978, Donzi made an production outboard version which was called the "Baby." There are a few pre-71 Outboards, but these were special order, non-production boats.

There is a lot of speculation on what defines a "barrel back" but this argument is specious as there are NO fiberglass Barrel Backs: The term simply does not apply to glass boats. The arced transom found on early 18's was never used on the 16.

All 16s, to this day, have a hook build in to the hulls that help the boats plane and is consistent with the skiing aspect of the design. Early, standard 110 Hp. Volvo powered boats didn't exceed 43 MPH. Speeds over 57 MPH are effected by this hook.

Performance 16's, had Holman and Moody Small Block Ford V8s, and H/M badged Drives.
Holman and Moody were slow to use a newer form of engine to drive coupling and therefore many of these early boats have a slight build out in the rear seats for clearance which was compensated by the Bilt-Rite interiors.

You will notice that there is a break in the production of the 16. This occurred while OMC owned Donzi and was designing a new line of small runabouts to replace the 16 and the 18. Fortunately, OMC changed their minds and these later became the Fourwinns Unlimited U-17 and U-19 boats. Also during the OMC era there were boats referred to as Donzi By Chris-Craft. Chris-Craft was one of the other many companies held by OMC at the time. In 1966, the well respected Canadian builder Shepherd, took out a license to build 16's and 18's.
The 16, 18, 22 and GT 21 are the most copied of the Donzis and one should be careful to check out any of these boat's histories. Non-licensed copies include Legend, StarCraft, Viper, Dolphin, Sterling and Cobalt - though the Cobalt was a well made boat.

Having such a long production run, the 16's are a diverse lot.

They came with:
Eaton Drives
Volvo-Penta Drives
Out board, right hand helms
Merc Type 1s
OMC drives
Merc Alpha and Alpha IIs
Berkeley Jet drives
Vee Drives.
And a few experimental Vee Drive powered, jet drives.

Power was also diverse.
Holman and Moody
Ford Marine Interceptors
Volvo Penta
Chrysler
Chris-Craft
And various Merc Engines.

The 64 to 65 boats were all white gel-coat, with three available interior and stripe colors:

White
Lucan Red - Named after John Bingham, the 9th Earl of Lucan
Christina Blue - Lucan's sister-in-law, wife of Billy Shand-Kidd, Princess Di's uncle.
Grumble Green - Named after Shand-Kidd's dog.

Current models are standard with two barrel Merc 4.3 engines and Alpha IIs

66' 16 Specs
Length 16' 7 ½"
Beam 7'
Deadrise 24 degrees
Weight 1500
Fuel 25 Gals
Speed 40.6 with 110 Volvo Aquamatic

mattyboy
08-26-2003, 07:50 AM
MOP,
I read this and could almost qoute it verbatim then I relaized
Formula JR had this posted up under the model list
where did you find it? hope the plagerizm police aren't tuned in :p wink

Matty

MOP
08-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Post updated and spell checked as per little email nuge, I found it while doing some Donzi research on the net so I cut and pasted up here. Hope some more input comes out of it about the Donzis.

mattyboy
08-26-2003, 08:59 AM
MOP,
my point was Formula JR was kind enough to post this in our model list section over a year ago,
http://www.donzi.net/dlist/skisporter/sh.htm

MOP switch back to caffinated, the de-caff ain't cutting it wink :D

Matty
leaded please

smoothie
08-26-2003, 09:15 AM
:D Mop...flop down in bed and get some sleep...I see you posted this at about 3:00 am last nite...It must be the decaf :p :D

MOP
08-26-2003, 08:09 PM
When you catch up to me in age your memory will be as bad as mine, lasts an hour or so!

mattyboy
08-27-2003, 09:46 AM
So MOP you got CRS( can't remember $#!+ )
well one good thing about that is you meet a new friend everyday!!! wink :p :D

Matty

Silver Streak
08-27-2003, 11:00 AM
CRS is not a laughing matter! This morning I had trouble remembering the name of the guy in the mirror whose face I was shaving. :D

Rick

Been told older is better but can no longer remember why.

Walt. H.
08-28-2003, 12:07 AM
As long as we can still remember who bought the last round and when the bills have to be payed each month, we're doing OK! :D :rolleyes: :D

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-31-2003, 07:21 PM
Warning: C.R.S., if left untreated could develop into C.R.A.F.T. You don't wanna know what that's like.

FR :p

MOP
09-01-2003, 11:49 AM
What? When? Where? Ooops its happening again! eek! :D

Pegasus
09-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Found this in my bag of tricks....can you date it?
http://www.donzi.net/photos/skisporter.jpg

Morgan's Cloud
09-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Stephanie...
I used to have that brochure as a kid in the very first info pack I got from Donzi ! Wish I still had them all :(
I'm going to take a guess and say 1969/1970 ?
Do I win a prize ? ?

Pegasus
09-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Dunno depends...coming to the Hometown Sieeetsa?

Craig
09-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Just saw this. Nice article MOP. I noticed this line and had some info. to add:

"All pre OMC boats have a distinctive wrap around passenger seating arrangement. The newer two plus two seating arrangement boats re-introduced in '92 are referred to as the Sweet 16s or 16 2+2. I can find no official reference to any Wrap-a-round 16 being referred to as a "Sweet" 16."

Not sure when the article was written but I have a Boating World Magazine article (Summer 1994) on my office wall that details the Donzi 16 Classic and 210 Medallion.

The article pictures the 16 with the wrap around seats and on the side is a small decal that says "Sweet 16" just ahead of the " D O N Z I " lettering.

Kind of interesting.

Was that a factory applied sticker for some years?

mattyboy
09-24-2003, 01:41 PM
does anyone read around here or what??? :rolleyes: ,Please this board is filled with all kinds of neat info I would suggest everyone who has not visited all the sections of the board please do so.
this "article" has been posted in our model section
for almost 2 years now!!! It was not a nice find cause it was never lost!!! :p wink
Formula JR put alot of work into that section I hope it is not for nothing!

Craig I believe the point the article was trying to make is that prior to OMC ownership the 16 had wrap around seating and was called ski sporter, then after being discontined the 16 was re introduced and was made with 2+2 seating as an option or 3+1 seating and was
refered to has the SWEET 16 and might have been marketed has such I do recall a magazine spread with a red 16 and a corvette has a tow vehicle which referred to it has sweet this was around the time it was reintroduced. Now it's called the classic 16. much as a GTO is a called a goat the 16 will always be called sweet
Craig if you could scan that article that would be great info to put on the board

Matty

Craig
09-26-2003, 06:29 AM
Matty,

Will do. I'll have to find the magazine first. The copy on my wall is a "Xerox", no wait, a mimeiograph, wait... it ain't the original!

It would look better to scan the actual magazine.

I think I have that somewhere.

It might just be a copy I requested and got a "copy". It might also be the article (in my collection) that had an aerial view of a white and red Classic 16 on the cover, but they didn't have back order magazine copies by the time I requested it, so just got a copy. Hmmm, I'll have to check.

Either way, I'll try to scan something.

Craig
09-29-2003, 06:13 AM
Mattyboy,

Just to let you know; I posted the article over in the "Performance Talk" section.

Craig