PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report – Freeport 8/23/03

Team Jefe
08-25-2003, 08:51 AM
I’ve had this trip planned for several weeks now with Jerry & Wendy Bean. I met the Bean’s through Roger Rood (a frequent crewman on Jefe’s REVENGE) and took to them right off. Absolutely wonderful people, fun loving, happy, upbeat, just the kind of folks I like to be around, but both rookies to offshore fishing. When we planned this trip, Roger and his wife Nancy were to join us, but they decided they needed to get away for a few days and headed to Sea World in San Antonio. So, I sent the word to a few folks who had shown some interest in a trip, and got a positive response from my close colleague Carl Aubrey and his lovely wife Melanie. Unfortunately, Carl hurt his back the day before the trip and had to cancel. Undaunted, and unwilling to cancel, I sent a broadcast email Friday morning to anyone interested in a last minute trip and got a quick yes from Mr. Lynn Marks. You will remember Lynn from an earlier trip this year where he caught a big Bull Redfish 25 miles offshore. Lynn is a seasoned angler, former guide, and was very welcome on this trip to assist with deckhand duties.

My day started a 0130…really 0144 (I hit the snooze twice), over to the storage lot getting things ready. Lynn met me there at 0300 we finished up and hit the road about 0315 (15 minutes ahead of schedule). We met Jerry & Wendy at Hwy 288 (the Nolan Ryan Expressway) and Hwy 6 in Manvel Texas and traveled together to Freeport. Stopped a Buc-ees for ice, bait and food; then made our way to Bridge Bait to “wet up”. We got there at 0512 by the truck clock; there was only one boat ahead of us. Once we launched I needed to do a little trailer work (easier then than the afternoon, and we are still ahead of schedule). By the time Lynn and I finish at 0535 there are 8 boats in line at the ramp. The old saying goes “the early bird gets the worm”. Well for Jefe “the early worm gets the fish”. So we motor out, slowly since I don’t as yet have a radar (Scot, you listening), but the boat is wet and we are headed south, not waiting in line at the ramp.

As the sun starts to rise, I see that the weather report is completely wrong. Forecast was 40% chance of Thunderstorms and seas around 2 feet. Not near enough to keep me off the water, but I thought we might have a bumpy morning and have to wiggle around some rain. Well boys and girls, we had seas about 2…inches, and the rain clouds just evaporated. I could not have asked for better weather.

We motored out to Anadarko at about 42 mph and had nice water, so we got set to cut a drift, only we didn’t drift, we went about 100 feet in 15 minutes. No big deal, I was getting the lines ready and putting them out; showing Jerry and Wendy how to thumb the reels and set the hook. First drift nothing, so we reset, second drift nothing. OK, one more try then we’ll move. Third drift, I got Wendy out first. Then as I am helping Jerry, all he!l breaks loose, both Wendy and the reel start to scream, backlash, then nothing. We had our first strike and loss of the day. Again, no big deal, that’s why they call it fishing and not catching. We get Wendy reset and continue our drift. As things settle down I notice another boat approaching, looks familiar, Cobia, Antennas mounted up front, wooden fish cleaning box on the back. Well I be, it is the legend himself, Mr. Bob McNamara and he has an all girl crew (something I have yet to experience). Mac starts his drift and the unspoken, subconscious competition gets underway…can I out fish The Mac Daddy.

Well as it turns out No. But we gave it a serious shot. The problem turned out to be inexperience and bad luck. Wendy and Jerry got about 15-20 strikes between them, with 8-10 hookups, the problem was their inexperience with letting the king fish take the bait and set the hook. Jerry even got a VERY NICE king within 10 feet of the gaff and had a small bobble where the line went slack; fish spit the hook and was gone. Lynn didn’t get any serious strikes all day, go figure.

After this hook up then loose the fish trick happen several time, we decided to try a different location and headed for blue water. I finally talked Wendy into running the helm, and she took to it like a natural (one more person who can take us home while I get a nap). We got to the Tennecos and found a crowd, started our drift and Jerry hooked up, OK let him take it…..set the hook, good…..keep the line tight, good, good…..GET THE GAFF and we boated a nice 3 foot King. Now that’s how it’s done. Jerry and I are both jacked up on adrenaline; man I love this stuff. Jerry then proceeded to catch a couple of nice Red Snapper, always a welcome addition (especially with some Sauce Piquant). Things started to slow down, so we decided to start trolling. I put out a Rappala, and the Baby Blue HALCO Trembler (Thanks Danny), and our second pass we hooked up. It is now Wendy’s show, she fought well, but then the line went limp, not again???, so I told her to keep reeling, maybe he’s still there. Sure enough he was, because he was foul hooked. No matter, we got him in the boat, another 3 footer (I’ll let Jerry and Wendy argue about whose was bigger). We then tried for some more snapper, but there were divers all over the rig so, it was a big pain and we decided to call it a day.

We headed back and Wendy took the helm all the way back to Bridge Bait. We got in about 1400, trialered the boat, and cleaned fish. Then washed the boat, headed back to Manvel to gas up, and say our farewells to the Beans. Lynn and I then headed north. We were almost back to the storage lot, when I noticed a HUGE bubble on the driver side rear trailer tire, Oh Sh!t (excuse my French, Mom). Luckily we got off the Beltway and onto a side road before it blew out. We changed the tire and made it the rest of the way safe and sound.

Another great day on the water. I know for sure in the same situation we will catch more fish next time, Jerry and Wendy are quick learners. They are welcome crew anytime, not one complaint, they were upbeat and having fun the whole time (following rule #3). Lynn, my friend, wonderful as always. For those of you who were unable to, or chose not to attend, you missed an outstanding day.

Tight Lines
JEFE

The Crew
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DJReid26.jpg

Man, This Captain Gig is really tough :D
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DJReid28.jpg

Who's is bigger? I know who gets my vote wink
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DJReid30.jpg

Good Day Fishing !
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DJReid29.jpg

harbormaster
08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Hey Jeff,
Call me next time you need crew.

Team Jefe
08-25-2003, 12:59 PM
I hear you Poodle. As I'm sure you noticed..
I got WENDY in the water first.
I showed WENDY how to run the helm.
WENDY is in ALL the pictures.

And Yes...WENDY's fish is Way Bigger !

Don't get me wrong, Jerry is a cool cat. But at the end of the day, if the girls stay happy, then everybody's happy.