PDA

View Full Version : Information Concerning Donzi 18' 2+3

KDG
10-15-2003, 06:11 AM
I recently purchased an 18' 2+3. Although titled as a 1972, the seller indicated it may be a 1966 model. The engine hatch is split by a removable center section and hatches for port and starboard. The hull is yellow with black, brown striping. The interior was replaced with black vinyl. The Outdrive is a Volvo 260 with a Ford 351 Windsor engine. The rear engine mount includes a Holman Moody tag. Valve covers are M/T.

Would anyone be able to confirm the year, provide interior color options, and also let me know if this was a Holman Moody engine? This is a project boat and I'll be taking my time with the restoration. Any information would be much appreciated.

mattyboy
10-15-2003, 08:45 AM
sounds like you have a triple hatch barrelback,
yes then it is earlier than a 72, a few members have them here, if you can find a hull number look on the back side of the dash, up by the bow eye the rear stringers will be in black marker
it was most likely repower with the 351w the 351 was not available until 69( from Ford) yes it is a h/m engine with the tag mine is the same way

welcome to the family you'll find your answers here where's laurel springs???

Matty

penbroke
10-15-2003, 11:29 AM
My (limited) understanding is that the triple hatch boats were only built in early '66 but there may be exceptions. If this is so and the 351W was not available 'till 69 it can't be the original HM engine. I think the 260 drive may have been changed as well.

I have one that is (was originally) red hull and deck with white stripes and all white interior. It was originally powered with a non HM Ford 289 2bbl Interceptor with a Volvo 200 drive.

Post some photos. There are people here that can provide answers to just about anything.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted on your progress.

Frank

KDG
10-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks to both of you for responding. The Hull I.D. as listed on the title is 3 98DE7 9787.

I'll need to do a little research once the boat is delivered here this weekend. Laurel Springs, NJ is located on South Jersey, near exit 3 off the NJ Turnpike and about 15 minutes south of Phila on the Jersey side.

The engine will be rebuilt this winter and is out of the boat along with the removed drive. In terms of pictures, she's pretty dirty now but once I've cleaned her up, I'll post some.

Thanks Again!

Kurt

TuxedoPk
10-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Take a look (post if you have pic) of the transom. Does the deep-V run all the way to the transom or is does it have a more gentle curve at the transom like current 18s?

I believe that Matty is probably correct about it being a triple hatch, which I believe were all build with the deep-V running to the transom, but others on the board could tell you definitively whether all of the triples were build this way or only some.

Rootsy
10-15-2003, 02:12 PM
yes the barrelbacks (both triple hatch and single hatch versions) all had the true V, no rounded keel... and were fully straked all of the way to the transom, both inner and outer strakes.

if it is a triple hatch, from the data presented in the past which i have read, somewhere around 90 - 100 triple hatches manufactured in 65 - 66 before switching to the single hatch.

the barrelback version was ended and changed to what we see in today's 18's in 1968. somewhere around 230? or so barrelbacks laid up from 65 - 68.

mattyboy
10-15-2003, 02:23 PM
it has been talked about here that the earlier boats 64-67 came with 289's 302's and eatons ( the eatons were weak) and were repowered to 351 and volvo 200 series outdrives, this was done in Feb of 69 to my boat
by holman moody on the west coast it went from a 289 interceptor and eaton to a h/m 351w and volvo 250 all with h/m badges on it. good chances it was repowered!
Good luck with the project
let's seem some pics
clean or dirty
they all look good

Matty

TuxedoPk
10-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Matty- How many other triples have made the migration back to Don's home state? :D

Anyone have info on WHY the change was made from the true V to the rounded Keel?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Look behind the dash for a handwritten serial number. Also look to see if there's a hull# plate inside the transom. If you don't find any, don't worry. Many of these early 18s don't have any serial #s.
Mine is a single hatch barrelback #18-117, which we think is a '67.

FR :p

mattyboy
10-15-2003, 08:13 PM
RIDE