PDA

View Full Version : Scallops

florida gator
06-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Anyone like those little critters? Went out yesterday to find a spot to go on 7/1, when the season opens, and they are everywhere.

vonkamp
06-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Cool! I love scallop season, I usually launch at Keaton Beach Marina. Will have to scout out my areas soon.

Stix Magill
06-16-2003, 08:19 PM
I would love to buy a small cooler full from you if at all possible. Well iced and next day air to me. Email me if this is possible with a price. Make it worth your while for a Donzi friend. :D
My wife and I have enjoyed scallops every anniversary for years and our next anniversary is coming up. I would love to suprise her with a feast.

Thanks,
Scott

Cuda
06-16-2003, 10:37 PM
I used to scallop a lot when I was young (10 to 12) and I lived in Panama City. I did it again for the first time around six years ago, when I kept a trailer at a fish camp at the mouth of the Suwannee. We usually go to Rocky Creek, which is just south of Steinhatchee. If you go there, be aware that the creek got it's name for a reason. I hit a rock there on a jet ski! The first couple of weekends is hell up that way. You may have to park a mile from the boat launch there are so many boats there. It's not hard to find the scallops, just look for all the boats and pull right on up. It's a blast! Kids really love it, it's like an Easter Egg Hunt under water.

I haven't checked this year, but there was talk of opening it up south of the Suwanee last year? Do you know if it is? If so, I'd say Homosassa would be hard to beat with all those beautiful grass flats and clear water.

Cuda
06-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Btw, last year was a banner year for them, the best I've seen yet. They tend to be cyclic, so no telling about this year.

Forrest
06-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Vonkamp, don't tell anyone about that place. eek! Most people don't even know about that part of Florida.

Folks, here is the latest report: There are no Scallops between Keaton Beach and Alligator Point.

florida gator
06-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Cuda, they actually opened around here last year. I was just north of Homosassa this weekend and they are everywhere.

Stix, I guess I can check into the logistics of doing that. Anyone know if it is legal? I would not sell them as I believe I would need a license for such. Pay the shipping and I'm ok with it.

vonkamp
06-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Did I say Keaton beach? I meant Grayton beach :p . Anyway I'll be out there on my Aquasport 225 looking. See you all out there!!

James Adcock
06-17-2003, 01:55 PM
I've had some fresh scallops. I rode my bike to Nova Scotia one year. How do those scallops compare to the ones between Keaton Beach and Alligator Point? Forrest? You know, Don't you? Come on. Tell the truth,......Buddy!!!
Thanks, Jamie

Forrest
06-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Jamie, aaaah . . . never been to Nova Scotia, but I'm sure that they are better up there! :p

Cuda
06-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Forrest:
Jamie, aaaah . . . never been to Nova Scotia, but I'm sure that they are better up there! :p I'm sure they are, so all you folks head up to NS to get the really tasty scallops, and Forrest and I will get by on these nasty things we have here.

Cuda
06-17-2003, 07:47 PM
florida gator:
Cuda, they actually opened around here last year. I was just north of Homosassa this weekend and they are everywhere.
That's great news! We went out at Tarpon Springs the last year they were open there. In two hours, three of us found one scallop. :( Wonder why they closed it.

Stix Magill
06-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Florida Gator,

If you can make it happen, email me at stixmagill@hotmail.com and I will send you a cooler and some shipping funds. UPS ground would be 2 days at the most.

Mouth watering,
Scott Smith

florida gator
06-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Cuda, there everywhere now.

Stix, I'll check with UPS here. I think overnight would be best for freshness. It'll probably be around 2 week of July.

Forrest
06-20-2003, 09:45 AM
You know, I've got to wonder if My Way Seafood in Panacea, FL, ships out Scallops when in season. RickR's kin folks own the place and Florida Gulf seafood is absolutly no fresher anywhere else - except maybe on your own boat.

My-Way Seafood
1249 Coastal Hwy
Panacea, FL 32346

850-984-0164

RickR
06-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Forrest
I'm not related to Sam and Debbie (My Way) but we have been friends for a long time :D As you know they are GREAT people with some of the BEST SEAFOOD you'll ever eat!
My freezer it empty of FLA Seafood for the 1st time in years :( I might have to take a road trip soon.
I hear congratulations are in order! Did you get your dock in?

I do not know if they'll ship seafood on the retail level but it would be worth a call to check. My favorites are cocktail crab claws, shrimp and grouper.

Forrest
06-23-2003, 09:09 AM
RickR, OK now I have the My Way connection straight. Come on down and load up. You heard it right. Now if I can learn to keep this thing from scraping my original Covico steering wheel on my 16 Donzi, I'll be OK! The dock is in, but the jerk across the canal is challanging DEP's decision to issue me an exemption permit for my elevator boat-lift in the State's Admistrative Hearings. The hearing date has not been set yet. More delays. This ass wad thinks he owns the canal since he paid to have it dredged for his condos long before I got there.

Still working on that 1/2 bag of oysters that I picked up at My Way on Saturday. They are great - and I don't want to hear about the "R" months from anyone either!