PDA

View Full Version : Any auto muffler Gurus??

MOP
07-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Got a high flow Cat and Flow Master on the Dakota today. Looked under it when done the Flow Master was installed ass backward. Dealer said makes no difference as it was the new style two chamber jobby! Any input on reversing it? It is a bit louder than expected but not bad. I have a quiet Donzi so I might just as well have a noisey truck.

BUIZILLA
07-23-2003, 08:24 PM
MOP, the muffler guy is an idiot. The FM's have V shaped directional flow baffles that assist *cancelling* the noises for sound control. Tell him to install it the correct direction, or give you your money back. The 2 chambers are NOISY, so your going to tire of the mid-range resonance purty quickly I think.

Just my .02 cents.

J

MOP
07-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks Jim, I was not real happy about it. Will talk with him tomorrow.

FASTEDDIE
07-23-2003, 09:01 PM
M.O.P.
Walleye (Steve Marr) of the famous Winni Bandits owns 3 muffler shops and should voice his opinion. Since he never goes to work , I'm not sure if he can answer your question. :D :D

Ranman
07-23-2003, 09:45 PM
The 2 chamber Flows are loud. On the Mustangs (ie 2 mufflers), we would call it the 1800rpm "drone" either you love it or you hate it. If you want to quiet the drone, go with the 3 chamber flavor. Either way, have it installed correctly as what BZ is telling you is correct.

BigGrizzly
07-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Buz is correct, if it werent important they wouldn't have a arrow on them. shoot 6the muffler guy

Walt. H.
07-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Phil,

All of the above info is 100% correct! It just goes to show some people shouldn't be in business when they can't fess up when they screw up. :mad:

Bottom line is the old clich'e " If you want it done right, do it yourself" but you knew that. :D Sorry,

Walt........

BUIZILLA
07-24-2003, 06:34 AM
MOP, on my 98 Dakota 5.2 shop truck, I bought a cat-back from the Mopar performance catalog. Been on there for about 100,000 miles now, cheaper overall, than a cheapo muffler shop could do it, and the Mopar warranty was tops.

J

Barry Phillips
07-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Hi M.O.P. , that Fowmaster installs one way and one way only, the right way and that gose double for the CAT. I have installed a Mopar Performance and a Dynomax system on my Jeeps and they even enboss little arrows in the dirction of flow, so the guy #### up. Take it back., you could fail inspection.

SO-SLO

MOP
07-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks a lot for all the super replys, it spured me on to speak with Flow Master and Meineke. Dan the rep from FM had a heart attack said limit speed till replaced. Said several Stupid shops have been sues over engine damage, says manifols and heads get extremely hot on a long haul or at high speed. He also said it was the wrong application and recommended the Series 50 SUV $37 bucks more, said it actually made more horse power than the two chamber on that application. Good news store backed down off of their high horse when i called the second time with the ammo. Series 50 coming in two days will only charge the $37 difference. So overall i have no B----. Thanks again!

Phil

G - FORCE 88
07-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Hey MOP

I put the same FM 50 series on my 2002 f150 supercrew, wow! what a difference, the sound is a nice loud not to loud and definitly not stock. The HP increase is noticeble. You will be happy with the 50 series, and make sure the dumbbutt puts it on right this time. :-)
Jon

Moody Blu'
07-26-2003, 07:43 PM
yea i had flow mastrers on my 1972 cadillac coupe devile and i made sure they were installed correctly.

IMHO I do think the flowmaster is very heavy. I bought a borla muffler and hedman 3" cat for my f250 and it was very light and exhaust note was sweet.

have fun with the new sound!

Gearhead99
07-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Your info is very correct. You have to install Flow Masters the correct way. Backward isn't OK or good.

The two chamber mufflers are WAY to loud. Had them on Mustang and had to remove them for three chambers.
It would set off alarms in the parking lot !!!

The 1800 rpm drone is terrible and will get on you nerves when you're cruising.