PDA

View Full Version : My 7th day off since mid March, and lightly Looped!

MOP
08-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Long story! My Dakota spit a couple of exhaust manifold bolts sounded crappy, Looked things over looked like a plumbers nightmare and near impossible. I found out this seems to be a very common thing on the V6. First went to a couple of local shops I trust either they were off the wall on price or just did not want to do the job. So went to dealer he said no problem they will pull it apart get the head off Etc. Etc. Said it would run about $600.00! I won't say it but I know you guys know what I was thinking. Decided to take today off and do it one way or another. Stared at it about 15 minutes from a few angles, figured the best was to pull the wheel and the well. Walla looking right at it, a bit tight for drilling but what the hell for $600 I try anything. Lots of drilling and EZying and up a size finally got it right. No blood or bruises but short one bolt and washers hit the store 97 cents inc. tax for new one grade 8 bolt and two washers FIXED. All said and done two hours and 97 cents, I had a good time. Went out had a great diner watching the rag baggers do the Wednesday night thing, split for dessert at my buddies. several aperitifs later I figure I saved about $350 why not calibrate. Got over on the system!