PDA

View Full Version : Any old Stamp colletors?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-26-2003, 05:37 AM
25 years ago when my Grandfather passed he left us his vast stamp collection.
I am no stamp expert but will probably sell to a collector, if you are a collector and have interest in any of this kind of stuff give me a call, I can scan in items for you to view etc.
Most are sealed or wrapped.
Sheets of 1930 stamps, envelopes, all kinds of STUFF. Ex.. Benjamin Franklin "first day issue" American Credo series....

I will add he was a self made millionaire so my bet is some of this stuff is rare. But then again it could be junk.
Bryan

(757) 558-4835

MOP
07-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Bryan I collected stamps for about 10 years when I got out of it I made a good buck. You are more than likely sitting on a lot more than you think. Plaza Galleries in Manhattan would be a good place to contact. They may have a representative in your area if so they will have them come to you. A professional evaluation is very important, if you bulk sell you will not realize the full value though many times it is the easy way rather than haggle with collectors. But I would guess there are some of great value and some that are wall paper. Just curious do you have one of a Biplane flying upside down? If so you have really hit the jack pot, that is one of the most infamous screw up stamps and worth a fortune. You can get a fair idea of values by buying a stamp collector book, but expect to sell a little below face value. I would be very careful this may turn out to be your 60 footer in the islands!

Ranman
07-28-2003, 08:13 AM
Bryan,

My grandfather was also a huge stamp collector. He reportedly had the 4th largest private stamp collection in the country. It was appraised in the late 80's at arounf $4M. As a kid he would have me look up stamp values in the collectors book. I remember one time I looked up the value of a particular stamp and it was worth something like $12,000! The best part was, my GF had 6 of them!!! Be very cautious about what you have. If you do not take the time to look and figure out what's there, someone will steal it from under your nose. Be careful and make sure you know what you're getting rid of...

mikev
07-28-2003, 04:08 PM
hey brian i collect stamps i will send you several links to some good collector sites when i get home tonight. I am intersted in ones of space flight right now. no big hurry this is one of my minor hobbies. (i havent had the box out in probably a year)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-28-2003, 07:17 PM
M.O.P. I can't find the Plaza folks online, help...

Mike V, owning a Donzi gets you in for whatever you'd like... If you have a certain year from 1890 to 1959 and are looking for first issue envelopes or rare stamps let me know specifically what you want.

One book we have is a Postage Stamp collectors from 1847-1957 which Granpa tried to fill in, it gives the history and pictures and you add the stamps. Like an 1892 2 cent "Landing of Columbus" in mint condition.
Several 1894 2 cents.
1908 Lincoln Memorial Stamp.
1922 10 cent special delivery
1912 Olive color original and many many many more stamps and envelopes, to a Liberty 3 cent of 1954.

It would take even a pro weeks to go through this stuff.

But thanks for the leads and comments.
Bryan

CnV & Family
08-04-2003, 06:46 AM
Wow, talk about timing. I had been thinking of my old stamp collection. It's been sitting packed away for more than 15 years. Far fom finished with what I was working on. I have a large number of loose stamps and plenty of pages waiting to be filled.

Brian... just a thought, but if my grandfather had left such as that I would take the rarest of the bunch and have them arranged and placed into an 8x10 frame or have them displayed somehow. The rest would be open to debate. Best of luck on deciding what to do.

MikeV... I'm not sure, but I was into a space frenzy when I was collecting. When I get some time I'll have to look to see what I have. If I run across anything, I'll let you know.

-C

TuxedoPk
08-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Bryan,

If you don't need the money now, you might be better off holding onto the collection than selling it. If you have something of value then continued tax deffered (or free if you are like 99.9% of the population) growth is bound to yield a greater return than alternative investments today.

Finances aside, you and your future heirs are more likely to appreciate this piece of family nostalgia than $$$. Even if you don't sell, I agree with everyone's comments about having it appraised, if for nothing else than insurance purposes and to give you feedback as to the method in which you are storing the collection so as to preserve its condition.

MOP
08-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Tux good idea about the insurance, maybe even a fire box to boot. Wadya think Bryan?