PDA

View Full Version : Center Hill Lake - TN

RedDog
07-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Haven't I noticed a couple of board members talk about visiting Center Hill? I will be spending the weekend there 8/1. Staying at my sister's inlaws place at the back of Hale's (Hail's?) Branch. While over the past 35 years I have been there few times, I really don't know the lake well. Any recommendations on where to go for cruises - isn't there a water fall accessable by water?. We will have my Donzi and a friend's pontoon boat along.

olemissalum
07-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Red Dog, yes there are water falls you can get to by water. If I remember right they are near the Cookeville boat dock. There is a no wake zone around the dock and then I think it was the first cove on the right. They are called Fancher Falls, we stopped somebody on the lake and asked for directions. Have a GPS or good lake map as the lake if you are not familiar with it can be very hard to get around. Lots of turns and all seems to look the same if you are not familiar with it. I know I used my GPS alot :D
It is a beautiful lake!!!!

BUIZILLA
07-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Red Dog, I have a house right on the lake across from the Aquatech School at the very end of Austin Bottom Road. I am VERY familiar with the surroundings. There are actually 3 waterfalls, 2 are MUCH larger than Fancher. One is down farther the fingers than Fancher in the Burgess Falls State Park, and the other is at the far south end at the Rock Island State Park. West end is the damn and Centerhill Marina. 64 miles as the boat goes, 42 miles as the crow fly's... I like the boat mileage... The TVA has a kick butt COLOR lake map with detailed areas, including elevations.

Several good parks and boat ramps to use. From your direction, Cookeville Boat Dock at exit 280 and/or Edgar Evins Park and Centerhill Marina are at exit 268. There is also Sligo Marina on SR70 at the mid-channel bridge. Hurricane Marina is very good also at exit 273. Alan Jacksons house is directly north and across the pond from Hurricane Dock. We ski on the backside fork of his house. I have a private community boat ramp you can use, but it's REALLY kinda hard to find the first time..

Better if you call me, than me spend untold paragraphs here esplaining all the attributes.
305.592.7070 days

Jim

RedDog
07-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jim - I think the best launch point for me is Edgar Evins Park and then park away. The in-laws have one of the few private docks on the lake where I will anchor for the nights - sister's father in-law is an old attorney that managed to "grand father" a dock permit good through s grand kids. 200+ acres lake front with big vinyard at the top of the ridge. Its prime - I am just looking to narrow down my limited time for exploration.

If you can be in the area, track me down - it should be a great time - for both families (kids)and adult time.

BUIZILLA
07-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Where exactly is the in-laws dock/house?

J

RedDog
07-24-2003, 08:57 PM
BUIZILLA:
Where exactly is the in-laws dock/house?

J Back end of Hales / Hails or something like that creek/branch - small floating dock with walkway to bank - house is a couple of hundred yards up from dock - can't see from water

Exact location somewhat fuzzy - extreme lubricaion has always been in effect in past visits which have included New Years night romps in the lake :D