PDA

View Full Version : S/S Disc brake?

MOP
07-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Anyone been using the S/S discs any length of time in SALT? Would like to know your thoughts on maintenance issues. Thinking about trying them.

boldts
07-24-2003, 10:09 PM
MOP, I can't tell you anything about using them in salt water, but when my trailer recently needed the brake assemblies replaced, I asked about using disks vs drum. I was told that the high cost wasn't felt to be worth the change in systems. I was told to give it a few more years until popularity and use of them becomes greater. As more are used and sold, like computers, the price will come down. So, I still am running drum brakes on my trailer. Good question though. Can't wait to further my knowledge again from the members here.

Team Hula Girl
07-24-2003, 11:06 PM
MOP, I use the SS disc brakes on my trailer. I believe the only way to justify the cost difference is how much use they will get, and how good do you need your brakes to be. I feel that a trailer that is not used as much and just sits for long periods of time tends to have more issues than well used trailers. (Just my opinion)

I trailer my Donzi 3-4 times a week. Sometimes it may only be a mile and sometimes it may be 250 miles. I trailer it quite a bit on the interstate and feel more comfortable with the electric disc brakes at high speeds. I do not have a brake flush sytem that comes on some high end trailers. However, I always wash it down at the ramp when I am done. My current set of brakes have lasted me about 14 months so far and they still have about 25% life left before they need to be changed. I try to keep a log of how many miles the trailer travels for future reference. The current brakes have about 4500 miles on them.

I use Corrosion X as a lubricant/protectant on the whole trailer except for the parts that require grease.

The only negative that I have about disc brakes is the dust. I have Glavanized wheels and they are virtually impossible to keep in new condition.

John

MOP
07-25-2003, 06:56 AM
Scott and John do appreciate the input, John the idea of the electric disc's intrigue me. I have a Bud that hauls for a living and has electric on his hydraulic rig two years of dunking in salt with a wash kit they still work great. Are yours tongue actuated or do you have the wand by the dash I've used both on other people rigs and kind of like the wand. If I do it I will probably paint the wheels for easier clean up, thanks for the thought on the dust.

RedDog
07-25-2003, 10:04 AM
MOP - I put a set of discs on my Rolls trailer. I think I bought them mail order from Overtons - they are made by Tie Down Engineering. Nice kit with bearings included. In order to back, you need the reverse lock out solenoid. I tried to avoid it by locking out the actuator with a bolt when backing, but that is too much of a pain.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydt014.jpg

springs
07-25-2003, 10:11 AM
I purchased an aftermarket washdown system for my Grady-White trailer a couple years ago. If I remember correctly it was about $40. Works great.

Team Hula Girl
07-25-2003, 10:46 AM
MOP, I have the tongue actuated type with the cylinder and actuator sitting on top of the tongue. The brakes are manufactured by Tie Down Engineering. The trailer is manufactured by Performance Trailers in St. Petersburg Fl. My towing weight is about 7000/8000 lbs. Tandem axle Aluminum. (4 wheel disc)

This is my second trailer with SS Disc brakes. The last trailer was a Loadmaster.

John