PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brake question

boldts
07-22-2003, 10:33 AM
My trailer brakes recently bit the big one. Actually even exploded one of the brake cylinders which in turn locked up that hub. Best news was that the drum was OK, bad news was both side brake assemblies needed replaced along with the tongue master cylinder. Now to the question:

When we bought the boat, the cable that applies the trailer brakes should the trailer come loose from the truck was broken, so since the rest of the brakes were being fixed, I also had them replace this cable. Question is, where does this hook on the end of the cable get attached to? Does it attach to the trailer hitch where the safty chains attach or does it attach to the safty chain itself?

Thanks guys in advance!

Scott
Able to stop the weight again in comfort

HyperDonzi
07-22-2003, 10:58 AM
We would always attach it to the back of the car. Going to pull the boat out this week, do you want a slip at alum till Sunday evening?

boldts
07-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Tommy,

Nice offer. Thank-you, but I'll have to get back to you. Not sure what the weekend plans include if any boating. My company is holding a car wash on Friday where for $10, you get to watch your management do the cleaning. I might just have to drop in with the truck and the boat for $20. :D

HyperDonzi
07-22-2003, 09:23 PM
I would do that... My boss said he will give me a raise if I take him on the boat and go get the honeys wink

Ranman
07-23-2003, 07:39 AM
Hook the cable to your vehicle. My receiver hitch actually has 3 holes for chains/cables. Two large holes for the big chains and one smaller one that I assume is for the safety brake cable.

MOP
07-23-2003, 08:04 AM
My 2 cents on the cable, to many times if the trailer gets loose it takes the tow vehicle with it. We had a bad roll over just last week. A cop I know said the cable was intact like as if it were not attached. 30 feet of plastic and an SUV rolled. I have always told people the cable should be attached leaving just enough slack for tight turns so if it breaks away braking is immediate. I tell my customers if they even think its getting loose try to braking lightly and in unison letting off if the trailer tries to go under the tow vehicle and try to stay in line with the trailer better to bash the back of the vehicle than roll it. The cable hooks to the tow vehicle.

boldts
07-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Thank-you Randy and MOP. I never had brakes on a trailer before, but it makes sense since if the trailer were to come unhitched, if it were attached to the chains, there wouldn't be the tension needed to activate the brakes. My main reason for asking was that I wasn't sure the brake cable had enough slack to go all the way up to the hitch and not be activated in a turn, but I'm sure I could get some chain to extend that cable if needed.

Thanks again. Randy, hope to see ya up on StClair in August. What weekend is your wedding again?

BUIZILLA
07-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Scott, the emergency actuator arm, on hydraulic surge brakes, has a *detent* cut into the pivot arm a ways down the arm itself, on the rear side. If you pull HARD on the arm manually, you will see that the arm rotates forward until it *locks* into position of the master cylinder cover plate. This LOCKS the brakes up completely. The function of the cable is to do just that, but it must be pulled VERY HARD to get the arm to lock in the detent. A casual pull on the safety wire WILL NOT lock the arm in place. You can bleed the brakes by pumping this actuator arm as well, being mindfull NOT to lock the detent into position. Once the detent is locked, it has to be pried slightly forward from the cover enclosure, to release the arm from the detent position.

J

HyperDonzi
07-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Remember, your chains need to be crossed UNDER the hitch. The reason for this is if the hitch ever came un done, it will catch it like a basket.

boldts
07-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks gentlemen for all the information. Chains are always crossed under the trailer. Learned that from way back when we were kids and dad had boats. Just had never delt with hydraulic brake systems on a trailer before. Also learned that the Tenessee trailer has automotive bearing seals. Didn't think to much of it since I thought this might be an advantage if out on the road and a bearing problem developed. How-ever, naturaly, these seals cost a little more than regular trailer seals. Oh well, just glad to her back home and ready for roadtrips again.