PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report – Freeport July 19th

Team Jefe
07-20-2003, 01:46 PM
The aftermath of Claudette has the fishing forecast looking kinda bleak, but I have learned my lesson from last week: Do Not pass up an opportunity to go fishing.

My crew this week is David Wlaters, his son Corley, Coley’s girlfriend Katlin, and her dad Randy. I met the crew at Buc-ees Saturday morning, and we pulled out for Bridge Bait to Wet-Up. As I was waiting for the crew, Krakmeup stopped by on his way to the Marlin grounds. Can you believe he passed up a trip with me to go ride a 55 Bertram and hunt White Marlin?

The trip out was wet. Good 3 footers with a cross wind. Not that rare coming out of Freeport, but Nobody Complained (that is rare!!). We made our way to Anadarko and made a few drifts, but the water was not very pretty. As we made these drifts I saw 6-8 boats fly past us heading for deeper water so we spooled up the lines and headed south.

We got to the Tennecos (G.A. 393) and hooked off the rig. We ran 4 free lines for Kings and 2 deep lines for Snapper, and I ran a deep rig with live croaker for AJ’s. Things went slow for a while, then Fish On. The snappers started like wildfire and over the next two hours we picked up 15 keepers and about twice that many throwbacks. But, no kings or amberjack (I must be holding my mouth wrong).

About 1100 we moved to the southern Tenneco rig and made a few drifts, then went over to a good weed line and picked up several chicken dolphins. Small but what a blast to catch, we even a few larger ones that put on a show jumping out of the water. After that died down we went back to the rig, anchored and picked up our remaining snapper limit. Again, not kings or AJ’s.

That was about it for the crew so we headed home. Corley took the helm for the trip back (I think we was pretty excited about it, but I’m not sure? :D ) and took us all the way into the channel. He was an excellent deckhand and is welcome back on Jefe’s REVENGE anytime. The rest of the crew was excellent as well (especially Katlin, what a trooper). I look forward to our next trip.

As far as shakedown items, both new pumps worked as advertised. The new wash-down location is just right. The netting for the beanbags needs some tweaking; I couldn’t get the bag under the net with the sea motion, the adjustments made to the helm rocket-launchers made a big difference in room. The REVENGE boated well (I mean…it’s a Donzi), but I did shatter the cabin hatch lid (its always something).

All in all a beautiful day, and good fishing.

Tight Lines
JEFE