PDA

View Full Version : ok who has the virus?

Rootsy
08-20-2003, 07:33 AM
had received 7 emails yesterday and another 20 overnight from a whole slew of addresses from folks here... most with the new "worm" for attachments... plus 2 returned undeliverable because it masked that i had sent it. same for all of the different emails i had received with different senders.

so if you are having some "issues" maybe soemone here can help ya long in curing the ailment so we don't spread it...

mattyboy
08-20-2003, 08:10 AM
I don't have a virus but I do have this burning sensation.......... eek! :rolleyes: :p wink :D

Matty

oldLenny
08-20-2003, 09:30 AM
I have had about 6 a day for the last couple days, not yesterday or today mind you, that were returned undeliverable due to the address (recipient) not being valid. I never sent them, when I look at my "sent" mail they are not there either...The addresses are not in my address book either...I am using WIN98 as the platform and Outlook Express.

What is this? in plain English.

Rootsy
08-20-2003, 09:40 AM
basically lenny, my take on it is that someone with a virus in their puter has you in their address book in their email program. the virus sends email to other folks in the address book and uses one iof the addresses in there as the return to address. The virus will mask itself to look like you sent it and then swap to usign someone else as a return address a few emails later, etc. so when the email bounces at the recipients server for whatever reason it sees you as the return address and sends the undeliverable message back to you...

i have gotten both versions.. ones addressed as being from various folks i know here as well as those i have NO CLUE of and also returned undeliverable as being sent from myself.

or something like that.

Fish boy
08-20-2003, 01:20 PM
This looks like a job for TuxedoPK- you around? I could take a shot at the answer, but he should be able to nail it.

By the way, do you have virus software and have you updated it recently?

Rootsy
08-20-2003, 01:58 PM
ABSOLUTELY Fish.... i update my mcafee promptly for every new dat file that is released... when i get the update for work i do it for my laptop also...

hence i am "virus free"

boldts
08-20-2003, 02:13 PM
I saw 3 or 4 yesterday for the first time. All had an attachment called deleted.txt which was the original message that had been deleted by my virus checking software (Norton Pro). None of the froms looked familiar to me though. Didn't really pay to much attention to them other than deleting them from my inbox.

TMANN
08-20-2003, 02:16 PM
What you are having a problem with is a virus called the SoBig Virus. It was found two days ago and is spreading fast today. Go to this link it will explain what it’s doing and it has a link to a tool that will remove it. I would run the tool if you think you have the virus. Then update your Antivirus software and you should be fine. Also just because you are receiving the email does not mean you are infected but better safe than having everyone in your address book pissed at you...

Here is the link.
Norton AntiVirus (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@mm.html)

TMANN

MOP
08-20-2003, 06:28 PM
My mail junk including notification of virus's have jumped a lot in the past few days. I just called a few buddies they are seeing the same thing. I use Computer associates A/V which updates at least 5-6 times a week and a firewall. The amount of times I get Pinged has gone up dramatically, seems like a lot of people are trying to get into machines lately. Most of my pings come from either a 206 or a 202 IP, no way of telling where they are from. I ran the numbers through a checker site and the came back as virtual domains which cannot be traced.

TuxedoPk
08-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Rootsy- Trying to track down exactly where it started is like trying to figure out where a $2 ho picked up the clap. (The least off color anology I was able to think of)

The only thing we can can do is make sure that we are protected- (download latest Microsoft patches from the MS web site, have current virus checking software that downloads new signatures at least weekly if not daily, and run a personal firewall)

It's surprising that more board members didn't chime in having this problem since it is such a close knit group where having each other's names in our address books is common.

** Reminder to all on the board.. don't get over confident with having good virus software; installing all the Microsoft Security patches still needs to be done.