PDA

View Full Version : "New Friends"

harbormaster
01-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Take a moment to tell us how you met/found new friends with the Donzi Registry.

I am especially interested in folks who have searched the boat registry for folks in their location and have found new boating aquaintences.

Happy Friday!

Ranman
01-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Really, it all started here in MI one very cold and drizzly morning in April of 2001. Through the use of the board, several members organized an informal get together on Lake St. Clair. I came pulling into a McDonalds parking lot, Donzi in tow, thirty-five minutes late to see three other Donzis waiting and wondering where I was. The three Donzis were Sam, Jeff Wright and Scott Bolt.

We worked our way to the local boat launch and dropped the boats in. I think the outside temp hit a high of about 55 degrees that day. While dodging thunderstorms we managed to take a short ride and along the way we met up with another Donzi.net member Voodocanoe.

Overall there was a low turnout on a very chilly day, but we all made the best of it and had a great time.

That experience prompted me to travel to AOTH II with boat in tow. Donzi Jenn and I caravanned with several other Donzis from MI and OH to Lake Cumberland. That first day in Kentucky, we didn't know anyone except for a few folks from MI. By the end of the weekend, I felt like I was with old friends. The MI bonds grew stronger and new friendships were made.

I had so much fun meeting and hanging with the Lake Winni crew (Crazy Horse, Donzi Trish, Pony Boy, Mustang Susie, Woodsy, Princess, Tom Davis, etc...). They were exactly the group I had imagined and the laughs never stopped. During the weekend in KY, the Winni group told us about the Lake Winnipesaukee Poker Run they were holding that July. Donzi Jenn and I decided to take up the invite and flew out to New Hampshire and attended the Poker Run. There we met up with our new friends, saw some familiar faces from KY, and bonded with our Donzi family even more.

After the Poker run in July, Crazy Horse and I started talking about the Owners Rally in Florida. We decided it would be fun to get together there and enjoy the weekend. We also decided to stay for a couple of extra days after the event. To our surprise, Richard Aaron (Donzigo) extended an awesome offer to stay with him at his home in St. Pete. Needless to say, we had a great time and Richard was a fantastic host.

Again, in Florida we got to see some old Donzi friends from the other events, we met some new people and Donzi Marine took great care of us all weekend.

Owning a Donzi and participating on the board has opened a whole new set of doors for Jennifer and I. We enjoy boating tremendously, but the people, bonds, friendships, and gatherings have taken Donzi ownership to a whole new level. We have met the great majority of the regulars on this site and I can easily say that I have never met a better group of people. The whole thing has been first-class and I look forward to continuing the good times with our new friends for seasons to come.

Here's a list in no particular order of great people I've met from this site and look forward to seeing soon just to name a few.

Sam Pilato (Sam)
Bill & Jan Stephenson (olredalert)
Doug Lovins (Doug L)
Jamie Root (Rootsy)
Jeff Wright (jwright)
Brad & Kim Lyon
Bill Kalinowski (KRAVEN)
Doug Glendering (Doug G)
Keith Vandervrieken (Donzified)
Tony & Cherrie Sporer (Tony)

John Totaro (Crazy Horse)
Trish the Dish
Stevie Marr (Waleyetwo, Pony Boy)
Mustang Susie
Dave Wood (Woodsy)
Princess Nancy
Chris Allard (CDMA)
Cliff Wind (Bertram Boy)
Diana Wind
Richard Aaron (Donzigo)
Smila
Mike Miller
Digger
Scott Bolt (bolts)
Greg K (aka Dork)
Scott VanAlstine (Harbormaster)
Scott Baxter (Madpoodle)
and many more...

boldts
01-24-2003, 09:14 AM
I'll try to keep this short, but I had owned an 18 Classic for some 12 years and almost never saw another Donzi except for once in a while working for GLOPRA Offshore races as a patrol boat up on Lake Erie. Those folks used to think I was nuts because it didn't matter how ruff the lake was, I would show up ready and willing. The Donzi always received admiration from on-lookers as I lunched her.

It had been a long time want to meet other Donzi owners and gather together with them at a near-by lake. Surfing the web, I came across this website and low and behold, I found a place where Donzi owners from all over the country and other countries met to discuss my favorite possession, Donzi boats. About a year later, The Midwest Donzi Club was formed and a gathering called The Awakening of the Horses began it's annual gathering. In an effort to get this news out to other Donzi owners, I searched the registry primarily for the Midwest states for e-mail addresses that I could send an e-mail to informing those owners of the club and gathering. I also advertised here on the Registry and created a club website.

Holy Cow, what a response! Our first year we had over 40 Donzi boats in attendance from as far West as Oregon, (Not a Donzi, but the beginning of the Sweet 16, a Formula Jr) and all along the East coast including Florida. I was in heaven and a long time dream came true for me. AOTH has continued to grow with over 60 Donzi boats and their owners last year.

My wife Beth and I have met so many wonderful people who share my passion and love to run their Donzi or any boat for that matter, on a beautiful, large, inland lake with a whole bunch of other friends. Because of this website, I have met and traveled to many lakes and locations that I probably would not have. I only wish I could attend every gathering that is happening every year. I try to do a new one each year and sometimes more than one. Lake Winni, I will get up there soon along with Lake George. This year how-ever are plans to see 1000 Islands, Virginia Beach, and the Maryland area Bay.

Scot, thank-you for making my dream come true in my life time! Scott Boldt

Formula Jr
01-24-2003, 02:11 PM
"Donzi" was the one of the first words I ever typed into a search engine on the internet. I had always been traveling around the coutry looking for new Lakes to splash on. But when I found the Donzi.net sight, the light bulb lit up that I had found a method to meet other folks who enjoyed the same type of boating. I really wanted to meet some of the major playes, so I timed one of my cross country trips to attend AOTH I.

There I met;
Randy, Tony, Todd, Scott, Scott, Scott, George, Rick, Frank, Tom, Peter, Mark, TD, Brad, Mike and many others with the same love of driving fast.

The next year, I went local and we had the PNW Scramarama on Lake Washington, where I met;
Kathy, Eric, and Jeff. True to Donzi Form - all excellent folks.

Next Event was a South Puget Sound Run. Two days of blasting good times, with Eric, Kathy, David and a crazy Canadian named Lenny.

Later I got an invite up to the Gulf Islands, had a blast, and got to meet some of Lenny's canuk cronies. Not really a Doni event, but I never would have gone if not for the connections made here.

But aside from the people I have met in person, there are dozens of others I have e-mailed with, talked on the phone with and its a great feeling to know there is a whole community of like minded folks out there that I can plug into ... :D

Dalelama
01-24-2003, 03:26 PM
I found the Regestry in mid-2001, after picking up the Minx... there I found Scott Baxter (Madpoodle)... I used to water ski & dive with him practically every weekend in the late 70's.. and ended up rooming with him for awhile in 1980-82... hadn't seen him for 20 years.