PDA

View Full Version : How much can I tow?

HyperDonzi
08-15-2003, 08:22 PM
92 Ranger 4banger? Any ideas? Real hitch, not the one on the bumper.

CrackerJack
08-16-2003, 09:33 AM
We had a Mazda truck 4 cyl back in the late 80's
and pulled an 18' Regal. This was probably more than the truck was rated for. This is not a good practice in my older and wiser opinion. There is also now the issue of insurance and liability. What are the Ford factory ratings?

MOP
08-16-2003, 01:47 PM
16 for sure 18 it with be on the edge of breathing hard.

HyperDonzi
08-16-2003, 02:25 PM
So the 38ZR is out of the question, Oh well, I couldnt find a place to let me get lay away on it anyway. :( wink Truck isnt to bad for a 4 banger, I beat a civic (stoplight till speedlimit) and I had a fouton, matress and bookshelf in the back, it was hilarious...His girlfriend looked so embarrassed!!

Rootsy
08-16-2003, 03:30 PM
i had a 1993 4 banger bare bones stick (manual trans) ranger when i was in college... i don't know if i'd try to pull the 16 with her.. not for suspension reasons.. but more for power and the clutch... she was the 97 hp gutless wonder 2.3L with 3.73 gears... i once towed a 4x4 pathfinder 40 miles, over the river and through the woods, on wintery icy snowy roads... i replaced the clutch and pressure plate the following spring... ahhh college traveling experiences...

i currently have a 1993 whihc is the same as my old one but is a splash version... and i would not even try to tow my 16 with it.. i don't think she could climb a hill toting 3100 lbs with any sort of gracefulness...
you;d be in first or second doing it.. real slow... trying to maintain traction...

the 3.0 or 4.0 V6's would be much better suited than that little tired squirrel in the cage under the hood...

but hell give it a whirl and see what she has

MOP
08-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Is the 4 banger in the 92 the same as the one in the 97? If so I borrowed my buddies it did fine, true a bit weak but went 70 miles and in and out twice at the ramps. But remember Long Island is pretty FLAT, my V6 Dakota wheezed on a few of the up state hills running 70-80. I think it makes about 160hp not even sure. But way back when I used to tow my race car with a Ford flat head PU that had maybe 90hp. Its all relevant when I was a dirt merchant my Mack made about 350hp and many times I hit the scales at over 160,000 lbs. (Much to the delight of the weight cops) hauling 3LX road bed compound, a lot of old timers look at the HP of today tow machines as awesome! My feeling if you take it easy you will get there yeah a bit later than the rest. I still would not tow much more than 3000 lbs. without trailer brakes with a light truck.