PDA

View Full Version : NE Blackout

ToonaFish
08-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Okay, Matty, fess up.

You've been rewiring the sixteen haven't you?

mattyboy
08-14-2003, 09:19 PM
yes I was !!! and "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT????"

this is the 3rd really big blackout I have lived thru in the NYC metro area

The first one was in 1965, and I was 3 my Mom and I were walking home from the store when all the lights in the Bronx went out. When we arrived at our Apartment building we had to walk 4 flights of stairs and the hall way was filled with the neighbors having a blackout party, at the time my Dad was NYFD LT. he came by with the engine company and the pumper to check we were ok, I thought that was so cool made all the kids in the building jealous!!! Those guys left with so much food and stuff from all the neighbors it was great.

the second one was in 1977 and I was a punk teenager in the bronx, it was in the height of the "Son Of Sam" crisis, the Bronx went nuts a Pontiac dealer in the area lost 57 cars that night, I was just hanging out when my Dad who was retired then came and pulled me off the street,which saved me from getting into trouble
at the time I thought it was bogus, but now I know the older I get the smarter my parents get!!!

And now the third today, when it happened all thoughts went back to 9/11/01, cell phones out traffic out the kazoo, finally get home and well we had all the kids in the neighborhood over to have a lil blackout party and when I started to tell them about the old days in the city they just look at me like I had 2 heads!!!!!!
But that's ok cause atleast they were not out getting in trouble.

AND DON'T BLAME ME I HEAR THIS STARTED IN CANADA SO WHAT WAS BOXY UP TO??? wink

Matty
gonna be a baby boom in 9 months

farmer tx
08-14-2003, 09:45 PM
I think they need to check the construction site in New J. for faulty wiring as a cause.

Ed Donnelly
08-15-2003, 12:53 AM
Canada is blaming the States.The States is blaming Canada.Its nearly 2 am.still no Electricity, and I'm not blaming anyone. Thank God for Lap tops and AOL...Ed

Walt. H.
08-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Power came back on for us here in the Mid-Hudson area around 2:am and so far so good but there is word it may go out again as they restore power in other areas.I still have the boat battery in the house with 12-volt light bulbs strung all over making it better to walk around without flashlights. :) We drank all the beer last night with friends before it got warm eek! now we need more. :( One big mid-week party for us but not for the people stuck in elevators and subway trains in many city areas, hot and dangerous. Hopefully everything gets back to normal real soon.
Ps, the bathtub is filled with water now, to flush
the toilets just incase we have that threatened
power outage again.(for the girls)not me,yeah really.LOL

Take care all,

Walt

TuxedoPk
08-15-2003, 11:27 AM
20 minutes south of the NE NY border we went thru 1 hour of brownouts/blackouts starting a little after 4. The stores on the main highways had power; power was back on just over the NY border by 6 and back in NNJ by 8.

Unfortunately our ISP was out until 10am today; I still can't believe they didn't have a backup generator.

Matty- living in long island in the early 70s we were out for 5 days..

Walt- Where in Mid-Hudson? Have my boats at Stony Point.

boxy
08-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Hey Matty, it wasn't me, but I haven't stopped working since the power went out. We emptied a buddy's grocery store seafood department into my refridgerated truck last night, watched it till the power came back on at 3:00, then loaded his store back up. I just back drove from the city, Ottawa is still 50% with out power, with a buddy's resturant food cooling in the back, if he gets his power back, I'm taking tonight's specials back to him, if not we're going to have a huge block party...calamari, salmon, chicken, rib-eye's sundried pesto, and lots of cold beer. :D :D

That is the best part of having a refridgerated truck, your beer is never warm :D

Take care everyone, talk to you soon...

Walt. H.
08-16-2003, 01:30 AM
TuxedoPk,

I'm a quick run up the Hudson to the "Rondout Creek"(Kingston)just before the Rhinecliff bridge. Approx.15-20 minutes past the Mid-Hudson bridge maybe a little more, 10-12 min's for some :p not me but i'm working on it. :D Saltpoint is above "Haverstraw"? A'm I correct?

Walt.....

TuxedoPk
08-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Walt-Yes, I'm just North of Haverstraw. The run between Kingston/Rhinebeck and StonyPt is just about as nice as it gets.. Passing Bannerman's Island, West Point, Bear Mtn Bridge..

Walt. H.
08-17-2003, 01:13 AM
T.P,
Yes it is nice, but the water is usually a little nasty around Bannerman Island => wind tunnel effect from the mountains on both sides I guess. I like to run up above Saugerties past the "Rip Van Winkle bridge" to the Athens area, the land flattens out on both sides of the Hudson and the water is more lake like.I can run flat out most of the time there and really play with the trim for the best mph with out hitting any returning rip waves that the Hudson likes to throw at ya! and there is a sandy beach around the island at Athens.(only one in the area that I know of, everything else is rock. 'Boy'do I miss Jamaica Bay B'klyn, and the Rockaways). :(
This year is a wash for me boating wise, most likely I won't get the boat wet. My stringers and floor are taking me much longer then I figured. "Do to a bunch of unplanned diversions". :mad:
Next season for sure god willing I would like to get cruising with everyone thats in our area for some boating activities. Maybe call it "The N.E. Hudson beer and clam Run Group" :D :rolleyes: :D

I'll catcha later,
Walt.....

McGary911
08-17-2003, 09:01 PM
I work in NYC. Arrived at work at 10am on thursday, and didnt leave until 12:30 pm on Friday. No sleep. Talk about tired. I do computer support for Merrill Lynch, and we had about 50 branch offices affected by the blackout. I worked so late that I missed the offshore race in pt pleasant NJ that started at noon on Friday. I guess i was lucky in the sense that my building had a backup generator, and super cold a\c (for the computers really, but us people enjoyed the cool too). :D

Best part is i took off monday to go to ozzfest here in jersey, so i wont have to clean up the mess tomorrow in work. and there will be a mess.

I gotta admit tho, NYC was something to see. So dark and quiet. I have never seen anything like it. Only illumination was headlights, some emergency lighting, and the moon. Actually could see a bunch of stars, a first for the streets of NY.