PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report - Freeport Texas

Team Jefe
06-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Freeport Texas Fishing Report – June 21, 2003

As I’m watching the weather & reports over the past week, I see that the fishing is going to be great on Saturday, but I’ve got other plans already. A couple’s weekend at the Fredericksburg Lavender Festival. Don’t get me wrong, I love going to Fredericksburg. For those of you not familiar, it is a nice central Texas town with lots of antique shops, Great German Food & Beer, and several of Texas’ outstanding vineyards. It was to be a get away from our busy lives, but the other 3 couples who were to go with us had to bail, then Vicki’s mom scheduled surgery for the day we were to leave, and Vicki thought we should stay in town (I agreed that we should be there for her folks).

But, this opened an opportunity for me to fish the weekend. So, I started scrambling to find a crew. Called all my normal mates and everyone was already hooked up, either fishing elsewhere, doing “Honey-do’s”, Kids baseball, blah, blah, blah. I called everyone I knew, but got very few takers. Finally, I got a crew (all rookies to offshore fishing), Lynn Marks and his son Justin, and Jim Haas. Looks like I’ll get to fish all day since there is just the four of us.

We got to Beach Bait and tackle as the opened at 0500, and saw the legend himself, Mr. Bob McNamara, some of you know that Bob taught me most of what I know about fishing the GOM out of Freeport and he was there with a rookie crew like me.

We were in that water at 0530, and motoring out of the jetties to open water. In close there was more sea than we expected, but no hill for Jefe’s REVENGE we motored out at a leisurely 34 mph, and made the GA393 rigs at about 0630. Seas calmed down, water was perfect, but no fish. We worked hard, free lines, bottom fishing, trolling, with not much luck.

Finally, we hooked a small AJ on a snapper slapper and things started to pick up. Justin hooked and boated a nice AJ, and we caught one more small one. We caught 4 kings of which 2 were keepers and several red Snappers, with 2 keepers, and then Lynn hooked up a 38” Redfish. What he was doing 25 miles out in 94 feet of water, I don’t know, but he had a couple of runs and gave Lynn a good fight.

All in all a nice day, calm blue water, just not too many fish. The Revenge did well and we motored back at 40 mph. I wound her up in the channel and got 49.7 mph out of her loaded.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/djreid11.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/djreid12.jpg

Tight Lines
JEFE

krakmeup
06-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Wow, what a day! Sorry I had other plans - BTW, JimG grew up with the dude who invented the Snapper Slapper - talks to him regularly at the fishing/boating shows........

BUIZILLA
06-24-2003, 08:24 AM
How did my name end up on the crew list?

J

JimG
06-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Go Snapper Slapper! Yeah, that's Woody Woodward's invention. Good lure, great guy. When my dad had his charter boat, Woody and I would crew for him in the summer. That's how Woody caught the offshore bug. Still got it, apparently!
:)

Team Jefe
06-25-2003, 06:53 AM
I've had these Snapper slappers since the 2002 boat show, and this is the first fish I caught on them.