PDA

View Full Version : Kick out for a while & don't know why??

Walt. H.
05-13-2003, 09:46 AM
I'm back on this morning I figured let me try again and here I am!
But did this happen to anyone else here last night??

I hope it was only an electronic computer clitch or a Prank of some kind. Because it really knocked me out of my chair when I read the following: " Sorry, but your IP Number is currently banned in our forums. You may not post or register on our site. Please feel free to email us at if you have any questions.

Your IP number is:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

That was as bad as coming home and not finding any Beer in the refrigerator,or Droping the only prop nut over-board.YUK!!
:( :confused: :( :confused: :( :confused:

TuxedoPk
05-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Walt,

Without knowing more I can't give you an exact answer. 9 times out of 10 these are simple web pop up hoaxes. If you ever get a message like this again, compare the IP address you see to your own IP (which changes daily for most people)

To see what your IP address is, press the Run button, type in the word COMMAND and press enter. You'll have a DOS box available to you.

Type IPCONFIG /ALL and press enter. You'll see a bunch of info that won't mean anything to you, but you'll also see your IP ADDRESS. If it isn't the same as the message you've received, you know it is a hoax.

Now the exception to that rule, if you have an external firewall, that box has the IP Address visable to the outside world, what you see on your computer(s) is only used internally, and then translated by the firewall. If this is the case, use your firewall management software to see what the PUBLIC ipaddress of the Firewall is, and that is what you would compare to the message you received.

In reality, very little is done to restrict access based on IP addresses; typically a security administrator will only block an address if an attack is stemming from that address. While it is most likely a hoax, if someone takes control of your computer they can use it in an attack on a 3rd party. This is typically called a DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service Attack) as the computers used to attack the victim are distributed around the world and are composed of computers that have themselves been hacked.

*This is one reason why security professionals tend not to retaliate attack- very often those computers directly attacking/flooding a server are not even aware that they are involved.. they are victims of stolen computer resources, and negligent to the extent they have failed to provide reasonable security precautions to prevent such activity.

Ed Donnelly
05-14-2003, 02:59 PM
I got the same message when I was using mt lap top with a phone line. I went over to my desk top with cable and got right in,but couldn't post reply. Sent Scott all the #s and it seems OK now..Ed

Walt. H.
05-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi Guy's,= Tuxedo Park & ED D.
Thank you for the helpful info. It was all straighten out by scott the H. Master. It was an accidental error that I got hit by.

Tuxedo, Now I know what I use to sound like when I started talking motor head lingo before it was called that year's ago, :confused: Sorry," I lost you after 9 out of 10 times it is a web site pop up hoaxe.
If my computer was a car not only won't I know how to open the hood. I won't even know what or where a hood is!
But i'm learning something new every so often.

Thanks again,
Walt.....