PDA

View Full Version : Don't be had by an E-Mail "Hoax" like I was!

Walt. H.
06-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Don't be had by this! :mad: :mad:

It is a "Hoax" eek! disregard if you receive it! I did't Know and followed the instruction.I thought I recognized the e-mail address from here, I was wrong. It's Total Bull $!#t!!

Date: 6/19/2003 8:16:16 PM Eastern Standard Time From: duane@mars.ark.com To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;

>Unfortunately, a virus has been passed on to me by a contact. My address >book WAS infected. My contact notified me and I found that my computer >was >infected and by following the steps I have deleted it from my system. >Sorry >for this problem. >Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find >it >in your computer too. The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by >Norton or McAfee antivirus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days >before >damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the >address book, whether or not you sent e-mail to your contacts. >Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it: >YOU MUST DO THIS. >1. Go to start, Find or search option. >2. In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe >3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all subfolders and any other >drives >you may have. >4. Click "find now" >5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT >OPEN >IT! >6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the >file without opening it. >7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go >to >the Recycle Bin. >8. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS >BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS. >To Do This: >a) Open a new e-mail message >b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO: >c) Highlight every name and add to "BCC" which means blind copy) >d) Copy this message and paste to e-mail; >

Don't do anymore then just read it!! It's all B.S!!

MOP
06-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Walt a very good practice is not to open anything with a paper clip next to it indicationg an attachment. Even a friend can un knowingly pass a virus onto you. If you want to send something cut and paste it into the next E-Mail. If everyone did this faithfully there would be very little trouble with virus's. They must be opened to do harm.

TuxedoPk
06-21-2003, 01:10 AM
Walt, although no one likes to be had by a hoax, this is relatively harmless.

The file that the hoax had you search for (and then delete) is Microsoft's debugger registrar for Java. Unless you are are using Microsoft's Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs, the file is never needed. No harm is done to your computer, but one is led to believe that they 'have it'. On a positive note, you did free up some extra disk space!

Depending on what Operating System you are running, (Windows 2000 for example), the file will automatically be restored by the system once it is detected to have been deleted. (There goes your extra disk space!)

Walt. H.
06-21-2003, 02:03 AM
Thanks guy's,

Hi phil, yes you are correct but there wasn't any attachment or paper clip just a regular e-mail that I thought I recognized. It turned out to be someone I corresponded with through e-bay regarding an old fashion Evinrude forsale some time ago. I was in his e-mail address book and when he received the "hoax" thinking it was real he followed through with the warning by warning me as well.

TuxedoPark, I have windows XP and all I did was go into my systems restore and back my file setting's to this past wednesday. Now that cute little teddy is back sleeping in his den like a little bear cub.

Thanks guy's,
Walt...

Hopefully i'll know better next time!

Darrell
06-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Walt:

I feel your pain :mad: , I opened a e-mail I thought was from a member and unleashed a virus called the KLEZ, it too gets into the address book and sends e-mails to your address book people under your name, using about twenty different subject lines. After a week or so when you re-boot, you can't. We had 8 computers linked together and had to have them all cleaned, 2 by wiping the drives :mad: . Now we have one stand alone computer to take in all our e-mails, so the system doesn't get infected again. Also we had a virus called bug-bear on two of the other computers. Needless to say I was not the most popular person at work for a few days. Don't you think people with this much computer skills could make a great living in the work place. It cost us about 1800.00 in coumputer service charges not to mention mine and a co-workers time for 3 days.

Darrell

goatee
06-22-2003, 01:31 AM
just got that email today,,,thx for the heads up!!!

Walt. H.
06-22-2003, 10:15 AM
OK !!! I'm glad this helped someone before hand. :) :)

Best regards,
Walt...

Cuda
06-22-2003, 12:49 PM
That's one of those deals where the cure is actually the virus.

On another note, I had klez in my old pc, so I bought a new one. I didn't transfer anything to this pc, but it began sending the klez emails again. I have run klez removal tools and it doesn't detect any klez on my pc.

Fish boy
06-23-2003, 08:27 AM
TuxedoPK is correct, as he has been with every other computer related post I have read from him so far. Good to have an expert on the board.

As far as klez, it sucked/sucks, but it is not the only one out there. Currently, along with the thousands of viruses/trojans... there is one circulating called bugbearB
http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=100358

not pretty, so if you have not updated your virus software yet, please do so. If you do not have virus software, get it. Mine picked up Bugbear 2x already.