PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networks & Cable Net

RedDog
04-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Yee Haa - after 2 failed previous attempts that resulted in crashed computers, I now have a wireless network up and running. Here I sit in my recliner and I can browse, e-mail, and print over a fast network hooked to a cable Internet modem. I like this!

TuxedoPk
04-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Congrats.. I hope you are using encryption between your computer and WAP...

RedDog
04-02-2003, 07:24 AM
What do I know? I checked the box for 128 bit encrytion and a 28 or 29 character "key" was generated during setup.

It is also my understanding that the WAP provides a firewall? Previously I used ZoneAlarm but it is my understanding this is not now needed?

On the 3 differnet systems, I am using the Microsoft router/access point base station, USB adapter, and PC card adapter.

harbormaster
04-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Tim, Good for you!

The hardware firewall on those is usually pretty good.

Ranman
04-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Come on Scot. Let's go do some war driving by Reddog's place and see what we can find. :D :D

...what? oh, that's nothing officer just some old computer equipment.

RedDog
04-02-2003, 01:33 PM
What is this talk about a "war" in my area? Do I need to activate First Mate Mason (a.k.a. Deadeye) eek!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydt013.jpg

HyperDonzi
04-02-2003, 03:43 PM
I know how you feel trying to setup those networks....me and my dad spent about a week with it, then finally after 3 hours of tech support got it working!

TuxedoPk
04-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Tim, glad to hear you checked that box, but...

First, that isn't the most secure encryption protocol. For home use, I wouldn't worry though. Don't shoot the messenger now that all is working, but on 3/31 Microsoft just released a security update to fix some of the protocols flaws. Check out http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-994719.html

You DEFINATELY still should be running firewall software on each of your computers. Zone Alarm is a great product.. continue using it. For someone buying it for the first time, I'd go with the Pro version bundled with Pest Control. The Pro gives you some extra features such as cookie handling, and Pest Control will be able to detect and remove malware that would render even the best hardware firewall useless.

If someone were inclined to buy a security suite rather than best of breed software for virus, firewall, etc., then I would definately say go with Norton.

In terms of the hardware firewall, it is designed to block port scans, denial of service attacks, etc. But in order for you to be able to use the Internet, it needs to open ports such as port 80 for web browsing. If you have a piece of malware on your computer that wants to be 'useful', it very well might communicate outbound using port 80... thus the perimeter firewall doesn't help.

On the PC side, you want use the Internet, so of course you are going to want to allow port 80 to initiate web connections. BUT- you really only want Internet Explorer or Netscape to do this. If another program tries to initiate a connection on this port, you want it blocked (or prompted to see if it is ok)

Final note on the MS firewall. It only supports NAT (Network Address Translation). Basically, this hides the individual IP adresses of each of your home computers behind one IP address given by your ISP. Better firewalls will support a methodology called Stateful Packet Inspection. Linksys even has one this type for about $80.. all their others only support NAT.

While security is a layering process, desktop firewalls are MUCH MUCH more important to have than hardware based firewalls, both in the home and corporate sectors.

If anyone wants to talk about spyware and privacy issues, it would make for a good thread. I'm not willing to mention here that killing your cookies defeats the 10 free NADA boat valuations/day.. So don't ask!

RedDog
04-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks Tux - its about as clear as cam timing now :p

No really, I appreciate all of the input - it will just take some time to digest.

TuxedoPk
04-03-2003, 02:25 AM
LOL.. I'd agree with you but I don't have the slightest idea of what Cam timing is. I've been going thru the boating learning curve getting ready to buy my first Donzi. It feels like at the pace I'm going, the only water I'm going to see this season is taking a shower.