PDA

View Full Version : A word about Miatas

rae
03-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Hey Hyper,
I bought my Miata in 1990. It will be 13 years old this June and now has ~129,000 miles on it. I absolutely LOVE the car. :D Keith has taken me to car shows to see what else I would want in place of the Miata. I keep telling him that until something happens to her (God forbid) I'm happy! Keith can give you all of the info on what it has cost us to upkeep her over the years. All I can say is that it is a great car. It is alot of fun to drive, easy to park and doesn't take long to clean up! The only bad thing is, people tend to pull out in front of you either because they don't see you or figure you're too small to worry about (watch out for soccer mom's in their SUV's!!!!!!!) If you want more info email us.

Nothin like drivin topless!!!! :D :D :cool:
Ruth Ann

krakmeup
03-31-2003, 10:45 AM
It's true - I've taken her to the auto shows and told her to pick anything; she has repeatedly said she will keep the Miata! Of course, it has been a little modified.....

Dropped ~2", beefed suspension, shocks, wheels, nice Dunlops, cold air induction and a few other minor twists. Stock at 116hp, I now have her at an estimated 135 hp, and I just sucked the headlights off an Audi TT cabrio two weeks ago - he was NOT happy. With the mods and good streets, I am taking 90 degree turns at ~50 mph. Try to follow me on a winding road and it will take the right combo of hp and handling to do better. We love the car, and I can't seem to kill it! As Rae stated, 13 years, 130K miles, and only $500 repairs (excludes normal wear and maintenance items!!). Show me ANY one other vehicle like it and we can compare notes! Yes, there is a lot of faster things out there, but much like the Classic Donzi's nothing gives more bang for the buck and seat-of-the-pants fun!!

JimG
03-31-2003, 01:14 PM
I'll back that up! My 1992 B Miata is the best car I've ever owned. The sensation of speed in that car is incredible. Mine is also modified: Full Racing Beat suspension, Tokico Illumina shocks, cat-back. I driven all sorts of fast cars, but NOTHING corners like a slightly modified Miata. Makes me grin every time!

Durable little booger too. I'm at 75k miles, redlined EVERY time I drive it, it's been flawless. Never turned a wrench except for maintenance.

Dollar for dollar, it's the best performer you can buy!

JimG

HyperDonzi
03-31-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info!! Im trying to pick between the early 90's Miatas or one of the 1990-1993 Toyota Celicas. I havent driven either, maybe thats what I should do. The only problem is you cant seem to find Miatas below 5k. There is a 92 Celica GTS down the street, good condition, really good deal for 2500. As all things, Im sure that the Miata would be worth the wait. Another issue is insurance, I'm pretty certain that the Miata will have higher insurance (2 door, 2 seat convertible). How much do Miata's weigh? What motor sizes and hp were offered in the 90-93 years?

What are the best times to sell a car (1993 Thunderbird 5.0) and buy another (90 Miata) and get the most out of the T-Bird and the best price on the Miata?

Thanks a lot!
Tommy

<small>[ March 31, 2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: HyperBaja ]</small>

JimG
03-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Just go drive one. That will answer all your questions. wink

Nothing else compares. I bought mine when I was at the dealership buying a 1993 RX7 Twin Turbo. I walked away from the RX7 after a ten-minute drive in a Miata! It was just more fun...

Insurance? CHEAP! Remember, it's only 1.6 liters. Only one engine for all those years. They bumped the hp in '94, but it's no faster. One of my favorite games used to be humiliating my friend's 1995 M series with my "little" 1.6!

JimG

<small>[ March 31, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: JimG ]</small>

Ranman
03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
Just remember, you can't call yourself a man if you drive a Miata. I know this isn't important now, but it will be very soon. IF you don't want your friends to kick your ass and call you a girlie-boy, stick with the T-Bird. Trust me, you'll get more chicks and you buddies won't call you gay. Throw some duals on the Bird with 2 chamber flows, and you'll be the king of the school.

...please no offense meant if you really are gay, in which case, go with the Miata.

krakmeup
03-31-2003, 08:26 PM
Surprised at the blast, Ranman. Take a look around and see what cars ever made an impact on automobile history, and just try not to include the Miata.

JimG
03-31-2003, 08:38 PM
Wow! Never been accused of being gay!!

Guess I ought to let Marie know... :) What happens when she drives my Cummins? Hmmm. :o

JimG "never knew his car determined his sexual preference..."

Sagbay32
03-31-2003, 10:08 PM
Go inflate your chest somewhere else......maybe Car Craft has a message board.

j/k

Mike

harbormaster
03-31-2003, 11:47 PM
Hey Jim,

Did Keith tell you how I kicked his Miata's butt with my Z3?

Hey Randy, what do you drive? A Ford?

Team Jefe
04-01-2003, 06:55 AM
Randy/Mike - Where's the love? Talking about car fun for the money, Miata is it. And I don't even like foreign cars.

T-bird? Classic no doubt, but for that much money, The Vette Get's 'em Wet.

Besides, If RAE or Marie ever breakdown, they can just call me. We can pick up the Miata and throw it in the back of my F-350 :p and go where ever you two lovely ladies would like wink

JEFE

krakmeup
04-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Hmm, Z3, kicking my butt???? Don't recall that one, Scot :D . In fact, the Miata drivers LOVED kicking Z3 butts in the early release days, until BMW finally tweaked their power, and the Z3M is awesome. I know there are many that don't enjoy discussing four-banger muscle, and I come from a long line of V8 fanatics, so I always have to be careful when talking 'little engines', just didn't know it made me gay! BTW, I've ridden in the Monster Miata (V8), and several blown Miatas, each would rival ANY Detroit or foreign steel....

HyperDonzi
04-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Randy, The T-bird is a cool car, I know doing exhaust on that (stock has 5 catalytic convertors!) will result in more power than exhaust on a 4 cyl. but that thundrbird (1993) has been dying slowly. Fuel pump, ignition, water pump, is burning oil, and needs new struts. It has the 302 and 155,000 miles on it. My parents both grew up in Detroit, my grandpa worked at ford, and my other granpa worked at chrysler. The only import either of my parents ever owned was a Fiat...which was crap.

Harbormaster, Did you see those M-Series Z3's?? Those are some pretty sweet cars...

Krak-me-up, I saw a few of those 5.0l miatas...I bet you could burn out in every gear.

Ranman
04-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Guess I should have added some of those smiley face thingys. I didn't mean to blast anybody, it was just supposed to be good natured ribbing. :D
Guess I didn't come off that way. Well to continue the ribbing...

The original post came from Rae, who is a woman, right? (perfect for a Miata) Oh yeah, hot babes driving big trucks look even hotter. The opposite does not apply to men. Anyway, I read her post and Hyper's at the end (sorry I skipped the in-between ones as I'm trying to be more productive at work). I think it's cute what you guys are doing to these cars. Parts must be cheap since they are so small. :D It sounds like fun.

As far as the history of autos, the Miata is just one, very small, insignificant little blip on the radar screen. What huge impact have they made that I'm missing? I would say thst the Pinto had a huge impact on the auto world too, but I wouldn't brag if I owned one. :D :D

That doesn't change my opinion of the Miata though. It's a great little car...for chicks. Chicks look great in them. Guys look... well goofy (translation: gay). Maybe it doesn't make you gay, but it makes you look gay. They may handle like a Lotus and be the best thing since sliced bread, but guys look silly driving Mazda Miatas. Hey, this is just MY OPINION and obviously you don't give a damn about that, which I think is great, but personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

I've ridden in the Monster Miata (V8), and several blown Miatas, each would rival ANY Detroit or foreign steel.... Now this I take offense to. :D That statement is pure nonsense. Soooo.... What you're implying is that the Monster or blown Miata would be the best car in the world? Listen, you can take a Chevette, lower it, drop in a big V8 and put some nice seats in it, but the bottom line is, you still have a Chevette. The same goes for this Fast and Furious crap out there. Wings and stickers (oops, I'm sorry, decals) don't make the car any faster. Few things are more fun than blowing the doors off a winged and stickered ricer.

Anyway, I was just pickin' on you fellas. HEy gimmee a break, I do live in Detroit. I thought these were your wife's cars and not your pride and joy.

BTW: Yes I am traditionally a Ford man. I currently drive an F-150. Jenn is an Explorer Girl soon to have a Mustang Convertible.

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Ranman ]</small>

JimG
04-01-2003, 09:57 AM
:D Did someone take Ran's Ritilin away today? He he!

Dude, do you REALLY pay that much attention to how you look in a car? When you are as old as I am, I guess you just drive what you like... wink

If you really worried about how you look in a vehicle, you'd buy a real truck! :D Down here in Texas, we think the same thing about guys in 1/2 ton trucks that you do about Miatas! They are just sooo cute! :D D (just kidding guys...) :)

And frankly, I guess don't mind being thought of as gay... if people really thought that, they'd let me, like, go shopping with their wives and stuff.. he he!! :D

"It's OK honey, I'm just going shopping with Jim in his Miata... I'll be back later!" eek!

JimG "Bought his first Detroit musclecar when Ranman was TWO YEARS OLD"

krakmeup
04-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Whew, thanks Ranman! Guess I need thicker skin sometimes too - passion comes from any place people find it! I'm a Ford nut (family Ford dealership in Manhein, PA years ago) and was almost dis-owned by Grandpa when I bought the Mazda! And now Ford owns them! Mustangs run deep in my history, as well as Pantera, Cobra, Lightening, F-150's, and of course Lincolns! The Chevy in my Donzi gives my dad heartburn, but that's another story..... :D

My comment on the Miata's impact is opinion also, but it sure seemed to help spawn the re-birth of the convertible with classic styling. I'll keep my four-banger comments for another forum. Thanks for the go 'round!

Ranman
04-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I know, I've been hopped up on coffee all morning. It tends to make me rant.

Naw, I don't pay that much attention, but it does factor in. If you've seen me 6'4" 260lbs, you'd agree that a Miata is not for me. (Neither are most other passenger cars for that matter.)

Down here in Texas, we think the same thing about guys in 1/2 ton trucks that you do about Miatas! They are just sooo cute! So what does that make you in a Miata? :D

I found the following on the internet, so it has to be true. Enjoy.

What your car says about you:

Acura Integra - I have always wanted to own the Buick of sports cars
Acura Legend - I'm too bland for German cars
Acura NSX - I am impotent
Audi 90 - I enjoy putting out engine fires
Buick Park Avenue - I am older than 34 of the 50 states
Cadillac Eldorado - I am a very good Mary Kay salesman
Cadillac Seville - I am a pimp
Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people
Chevrolet Chevette - I like people's reactions when I tell them I have a 'Vette
Chevrolet Corvette - I'm in a mid-life crisis
Chevrolet El Camino - I am leading a militia to overthrow the government
Chrysler Cordoba - I dig the rich Corinthian leather
Datsun 280Z - I have a kilo of cocaine in my wheel well
Dodge Dart - I teach third grade special education and I voted for Eisenhower
Dodge Daytona - I delivered pizza for four years to get this car
Ford Fairmont - (See Dodge Dart)
Ford Mustang - I slow down to 85 in school zones
Ford Crown Victoria - I enjoy having people slow to 55mph and change lanes when I pull up behind them
Geo Storm - I will start the 11th grade in the fall
Geo Tracker - I will start the 12th grade in the fall
Honda del Sol - I have always said, half a convertible is better than no convertible at all
Honda Civic - I have just graduated and have no credit
Honda Accord - I lack any originality and am basically a lemming
Infiniti Q45 - I am a physician with 17 malpractice suits pending
Isuzu Impulse - I do not give a damn about J.D. Power or his reports
Jaguar XJ6 - I am so rich I will pay 60K for a car that is in the shop 280 days per year
Kia Sephia - I learned nothing from the failure of Daihatsu Corp
Lincoln Town Car - I live for bingo and covered dish suppers
Mercury Grand Marquis - (See above)
Mazda Miata - I am out of the closet.
Mitsubishi Diamante - I don't know what it means either
Oldsmobile Cutlass - I just stole this car and I'm going to make a fortune off the parts
Peugeot 505 Diesel - I am on the EPA's Ten Most Wanted List
Porsche 911 Turbo - I have a three inch thingie
Porsche 944 - l am dating big haired women that otherwise would be inaccessible to me
Saturn SC2 - (See Honda Civic)
Subaru Legacy - I have always wanted a Japanese car even more inferior than the Isuzu
Toyota Camry - I am still in the closet
Volkswagon Beetle - I still watch Partridge Family reruns
Volkswagon Microbus - I am tripping right now

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Ranman ]</small>

boxy
04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
All this talk about cars...here's a site that always makes me cry, (in a tough, 3 inch nail through my hand, manly sort of way :D )
cars in barns (http://www.carsinbarns.com/)

krakmeup
04-01-2003, 10:56 AM
LOL!

HyperDonzi
04-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Ranman, the last time I read that list it had "I dont mind being decapitated by a semi" for the Miata.

Sagbay32
04-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Tommy,
If you want the "College bound, Gonna get a good job to support you" kinda girl go for the sporty convert. (This type of girl will impress your friends later).

If you want the "Wow he's gotta fas' car" type of bimbo go for the big V-8. (This type of girl will impress your friends now).

Experience speaks for itself.

Mike.....just havin a little fun :D

ps. Smiley is for Randy

HyperDonzi
04-01-2003, 03:27 PM
As for the fast cars at school....My friend had a bone stock 98 Integra that was the fastest at our school, even beat a Mustang GT. Then again, most people at school cant drive the car worth anything... One kids parents bought him a turbocharged Eclipse, he was racing that Integra and was shifting at 3k. After I get a car, Im going to be looking for some driving tips... :D

Ranman
04-01-2003, 04:45 PM
My driving tips are as follows:

If you want to race and keep your license, do it on a track. Street racing is not what it used to be. The penalties are WAAAYYYY too stiff. Don't do it. Buy a pickup that will tow your first boat. Owning any boat (if parents will allow) is way cooler than any car.

If you're going to race on a track, don't drive the car you're planning on racing to the track. If you do this, there is a very high probability that you will need to hitch a ride home. It's not a race car if you don't tow it to and from the track and we only like to see race cars on the track.

Bottom line is, be smart, be responsible, its hard, but you can do it. Get a boat, have fun with it, it can be a V8, get less tickets and keep your license clean. You will thank me later.

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Ranman ]</small>

HyperDonzi
04-01-2003, 06:49 PM
About a month ago, we kinda got caught....Got let off easy, decided not to race on the streets that night.

Buying a boat...Parents wont let me, they say use the Baja. Mom said when Im 18 I could, but not until then :(

As for any racing, I want to get into autocross, looking for cars that will be easy on insurance, handle good, fun to drive, etc...

Thanks for the advice,
Tommy

DonzigoJR
04-01-2003, 06:54 PM
I can only say that the people I see driving Miata's, are typically clowny looking men wearing pink shirts and listening to Katie Lang and Elton John. :D

No offense if you like those artist, but you get the picture, I hope....

Miata's are great if your upgrading the go-cart. Go for the MUSCLE!!!

Just Kinding...Good luck with what ever decision that you make. :D :D :D

DonzigoJR
04-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Ranman,

I think that what you found on the internet was fabulous. I can't agree more with almost all of the findings. That God my car isn't on your list!!!! :D :D :D

JimG
04-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Here's my driving tips:

Buy the Miata. A lightweight, well balanced, slightly underpowered car will teach you to drive MUCH better than an overpowered Detroit musclecar. Learn to drive in deep, late-braking. Redline it every time as you leave the apex. (You'll scare the crap out of the poor Mustang GT driver trying to follow you! Ask me how I know...) wink

Autocross it. You can drive it there and drive it home. You will absolutely humiliate 'Vettes and Mustangs on the autocross track. It's dirt cheap to maintain, gets around thirty mpg, and will last for 200k miles run hard. Tires are cheap, too. Don't try to stuff big tires under it. The Miata only weighs 2200 lbs, can't heat big tires. I run stock size tires, and no one can catch me in a corner. (A Saleen, maybe. If there is a real driver behind the wheel...) :o

Later, after your insurance goes down, go for more horsepower. With what you've learned about driving from your Miata, you'll be a force to be reckoned with in a Corvette or Viper.

BTW: The only people who will think you are gay for driving a Miata, are the people who've never been in one! I once got to scare the crap out of my redneck 'Vette-owner best friend, ("What's that fag car?"). He couldn't talk for a while when he got out... he he! :D

JimG

Steven Cohn
04-03-2003, 02:23 PM
I owned a Miata for three years and have never been accused of being gay. Actually, the car was a chick magnet because I'm sure it wasn't me. It could have used more HP, but it cornered like a formula one racer. The Miata was/is so much more than my MG ever was.

Ranman
04-03-2003, 06:10 PM
overpowered Detroit musclecar There's no such thing.

Redline it every time as you leave the apex. (You'll scare the crap out of the poor Mustang GT driver trying to follow you Now there's good advice to give a 15 year old. I hope your parents don't read this board Tommy.

You will absolutely humiliate 'Vettes and Mustangs on the autocross track I'll give you the Mustang...MAYBE, Vette's I don't think so.

A Saleen, maybe. If there is a real driver behind the wheel Hmmm, I can't recall ever meeting a "real" driver who piloted a Miata.

Later, after your insurance goes down, go for more horsepower Given the redline advise, you think his insurande is going to go DOWN!

my redneck 'Vette-owner best friend This is your best friend? Maybe,you should listen to him a bit more often, sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Now Jim, don't get all huffy, I'm just raggin on ya buddy, I can take it just as good as I can dish it out.

...that ought to get 'em goin.

ToonaFish
04-03-2003, 07:22 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/thong.jpg

Be nice, ragtops are hot...

Bunches,

Cloverleaf on the Alfa Romeo Board

JimG
04-03-2003, 08:17 PM
I am not gay! :mad:

but I think maybe my boyfriend is...

he he! :D

Ranman
04-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Me neither.

I think my boyfriend knows your boyfriend.

boxy
04-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Tommy if you do buy a Miata, make sure you buy one of these....
:D :D

Miata Option (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400991396&cat)

JimG
04-04-2003, 06:55 AM
He he!

Ranman, we've GOT to meet up at one of the gatherings one day. We'll let our boyfriends run off, and I'll buy you a beer! I think I owe you one... :)

Later,

JimG

Jake
04-04-2003, 02:45 PM
I have never met a manly man who drives a Miata, not to say there is none, I simply have not met one yet. They can definately be fun to drive, but I would not want to own one.

Krakmeup - what was your dealership's name? I live 1/2 hour from Manheim. We buy cars there often.

Jake

krakmeup
04-04-2003, 07:52 PM
Jake -
The dealership is no longer there, it was Kreider Motors (my Grandfather owned it). We now have close ties with Keller Brothers Ford in Buffalo Springs, a little ways away from you there.

Keith

Crazy Horse
04-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Jim, while you and Rain Man are out I will take care of Marie and Jenn...glad to help out.

boxy
04-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Damn Rock Stars, they always get the girls... :D :D

ClassicRazorback
04-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Is this like "Moped Syndrome" :D

Team Jefe
04-06-2003, 12:53 PM
You know Horseman, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Cuda
04-06-2003, 01:09 PM
I gotta side with Ranman on this subject. I am 47 and still don't feel comfortable getting in touch with my feminine side while driving down the road. Miata is definetly a chick sled. Now if you want a slightly under powered, great handling car that doesn't make you look like you're headed to see a Meryl Streep movie, check out a Triumph TR6. Still my favorite car I ever owned.

Just save a step in life and get a truck now. I don't know how people get along in life without a truck.

Stix Magill
04-06-2003, 11:30 PM
Has anyone driven the new Minis? I was told it was unbelievably cool.

Drove a Miata once. Drove nice, but not for me.
too..... gay.

Just kidding.

Scott

Donzi Jenn
04-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Ranman - you'd think that at the very least, you'd offer up your boyfriend to me first!!!

See the respect that I get. :rolleyes:

boxy
04-07-2003, 09:49 AM
DJ, I'm guessing if he's Randi's "boyfriend", he's not going to have much interest in you, or any other female for that matter... :D :D

DonzigoJR
04-07-2003, 12:44 PM
If you buy a Miata I still think that its manditory to have a little lisp when you talk and a nice light voice. With every purchase they give you a discount on sex changes as well. :D :D Other then that Im sure there great cars....for guy people.LOL

Just kidding.... :D :p :D

HyperDonzi
04-07-2003, 02:48 PM
This is getting funny...

Ranman, here is a site that will have you laughing.

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/you_might_be_a_ricer_if.html

DonzigoJR
04-08-2003, 03:06 PM
That website is funny as @$#%. However I dont think that even the Miata has the balls to qualify as a Rice runner. I think they fall somewhere near the lines of a Mouse runner. I heard that many of the Miata owner's sffer from pre-mature ejaculation. Not sure if its true. Just saw that under the hints in my girlfriend's Cosmo magazine.

roadtrip se
04-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Saw Ranman tonight. Asked that I look at this thread. Very entertaining.

I sat in a Miata once, unfortunately the windshield came up to my chin. Problem!
Not to mention the knee caps on the dash.
Cool cars, but not for me. I just don't fit.

I grew up in a Ford dealership. I have owned
several Mustangs. We have a 03 Cobra and a 86 SVO in the garage. The SVO has 50/50 weight distibution and a true joy to drive for the same reasons you folks love your Miatas. Great balance and easy to toss around on the auto cross.

The Cobra will eat your lunches. Handles better than the SVO and will outrun anything but a Viper and a Z06 with a strong driver. Car and Driver said this is the best Mustang ever! I took my Chevy loving buddy, Mark Horne, for a little spin last week and he was amazed. He commented on how "tight" the car handles AND accelerates.

A little challenge to you Miata lovers for the Texas Round Up. Any of you guys who want to bring those Miatas up here and eat a little crow, we will be happy to oblige. Miatas are nice sports cars, but Mustang eaters????

Could make for some interesting photo opportunities!

Bring it on...

Todd

<small>[ April 09, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: roadtrip se ]</small>

Ranman
04-10-2003, 12:16 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

ToonaFish
04-10-2003, 07:14 PM
A new tow vehicle for MadPoodle?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/poodlemobile.jpg