PDA

View Full Version : Alpha SS vs Alpha 1

1996Z15
06-15-2003, 08:31 PM
I've seen a few Alpha SS' on Ebay and even got to see one close up on a local 18 2 + 3 and I was wondering if they can take more HP and more abuse than a standard Alpha 1? Down the road I am going to want to increase my HP but have heard that the Aplha 1 is not that durable. Anyone have any experience with the Aplha SS?

Rootsy
06-15-2003, 09:26 PM
I've been running an Alpha SS this year behind the 16... i am putting 375ish hp to it without a hiccup and i've spun her 6000 rpm.

there are a lot of different opinions on the durability of the SS. The SS uses the same gears and generally most of the parts as teh alpha 1. the u-joints are different than an alpha 1 BUT the alpha gen II u-joints fit without issue and are much more beefy. the vertical shaft is shorter on the SS since the distance between driveshaft and prop shaft is 3 inches less than the alpha 1. the SS uses a UNIQUE driveshaft housing... and it is also hard to come by... the gearcase is a CLE outboard case design although i've been told that the SS gearcase was a bit more beefy. therefore if you puke the bottom you can easily aquire a gearcase... but the driveshaft housing is HARD to come by.

there is a gentleman in detroit who does performance drive stuff and guarantees his SS's to 550 hp... doug lovins has an 18 with and Ss and is pushing 410 hp through it and he USES the boat... no issues... gary at hydromotive told me he is putting 640 hp and 6500 rpm to one on a 19 foot sea ray... these numbers are really scary to me but i guess @ 6500 rpm you are not making a lot of torque.. since the 2 curves cross at 5252 rpm. but either way you have to go through that torque curve to get there...

so if you are worried about it then don't put monster power to it. use the best gear lube you can.. merc hi-perf or redline high shock... and keep it in the water and don't hammer it hard out of the hole... a light hull helps too...

i gained about 8 mph just swapping the gen II for an SS on the 16.

Cuda
06-15-2003, 09:28 PM
There are some who claim they have stronger gears, but most knowledgable people say they are the same, which I believe. If they had stronger gears, they would fit in a regular alpha too. The only difference is a shorter shaft and the CLE foot.

HyperDonzi
06-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Rootsy, 8mph eek! I might have to borrow someones this fall and see how great it is!!

Rootsy
06-16-2003, 02:37 PM
hyper,

most of the speed gains were due to 1) less drag on the gearcase 2) and most significantly on the 16, being able to trim it out and remain stable... therefore i get more hull out of the water... before i had to keep it tucked in with the gen II, even with cleaver... otherwise it was a wild ride.

only downfall is that it is very sensative to weight in the boat.. she really loses speed when you add passengers... more the hull (bottom config) and the prop than anything.

turbo2256
06-17-2003, 12:11 PM
You should also know Gary at Hydromotive is running a 383 SBC with twin turbos ... a lot more torq than a N/A or blower motor.

GeneD
06-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Well said James.
And people thought I was talking out my exhaust tip hole when I told them of the speed gain with the bolt-on drive.
Ha, all those that scorned me, please refer to the above post.
As for beefiness, I yield to the higher horsepower dudes. I only spun that thing to 4800 RPM's.
And if you put the prop on that I told you to get, you will lower those RPM's down to a sane level and I'll be you'll see even more speed.

Rootsy
06-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Gene,

no i havn't spun a mirage + yet... but from past experience... man do they ever suck on the 16... i know folks like em on the 18 to an extent and i KNOW even more with the SS on an 18... they are fast... but not the best mannered prop... i'm running a full blown, completely stock, hydromotive quad IV 25P right now... 5500 rpm, 75 mph. that thing's A HELLUVA LOT of prop... might not be the fastest but it is friggin comfortable at 70+!

the stock quad IV OT was as fast (76ish) as the labbed cleaver but really was a drag in the mid range... maybe some tweaking of the diameter, etc on the quad IV will get us back up there wink

and i am getting rid of my wicked HP so i am probably gonna have to step UP to a 26 or 27P to maintain that 5500 redline... that's more for my motors sake than the drive...

and yes gene i pretty skeptical when you told me you gained 10 just by swapping drives... i am a believer now... facts is facts... i've been there! got the t-shirt... :D

GeneD
06-19-2003, 07:09 AM
No no no...
The Quad IV Hydromotive is an excellent prop.
I found that 4 blades didn't give me the speed I wanted, but controlability is awesome.
Good choice.
But consider dropping that RPM down. Anything above 5K scares me.
Most BB Merc are coming with rev limiters set at 5250 or something like that.
The SB I believe...should be running max 5000, regardless of it's HP. Unless of course your camshaft curve says otherwise.

Rootsy
06-19-2003, 02:35 PM
i know what you are saying gene, for a sbc you are perfectly safe to 5500 rpm in the rotating assy.. after tahat you need to start stepping up the bottom end (4 bolt, steel crank, rods, hypereutectics), especially if you are putting power to it and anything over 6K and you better be balancing that tougher rotating assy. BBC's are a different beast and should not turn as many rpms as a sbc, apples to apples... more rotating mass, longer strokes, etc.

my current camshaft peaks HP @ 5200... the one on the bench at home peaks @ 5500 - 5600... and it's going in sooner or later. with high continuous rpms you need to be more concerned with your valvetrain than your rotating assembly... especially if you are running big numbers on ramp accelerations. If you are sprung too weak you will eventually fatique the springs... either it'll lose power cause you float or one will break and that can be ugly.

i have no concerns turning my motor 5200 - 5700, i don't do it for LONG continuous periods... but i am not afraid to do it if i have to, or when i want to... i have plenty in the valvetrain toughness arena... when some time and funding permits it'll have a matching shortblock sitting under it. :D