PDA

View Full Version : Lawn mower question

2biguns
08-01-2003, 09:26 AM
I want (not necessarily need) a new push mower. I've got a riding mower to handle the big part of the yard (about an acre) but like to use a push mower on the front because it looks so much better.

There is one fairly steep bank so a self-propelled would really help. I also would like to occasionally use a grass catcher to keep things neat.

I have a self-propelled Honda that was/is a great mower but it has been in the shop forever and the self-propulsion is very poorly designed in my opinion. Belt continuously jumps off the blade pulley and I am constantly having to turn the mower up on its side and fight with getting the belt back on the pulley which ends up dumping oil into the exhaust. I guess the only good thing is that when I crank it after fixing the belt it closely resembles the smoke screen that 007 has on his Aston Martin :D

Any suggestions?

MOP
08-01-2003, 09:25 PM
I also use the rider for the bulk of the job, I have an old Sears 20 icn self propelled that has not died yet and has had very little done to it over the atleast 15 years. I have also heard good things about the Lawn Boys. Your best source is your local mower repair shop for advice on the good ones.

Ed Donnelly
08-02-2003, 03:28 AM
Just bought a Lawnboy with electric start,rear wheel drive(My Snapper died after 11 yrs.)Bought a front wheel drive and had to take it back. With my bad knees,I lean on the handle and it lifts the front wheels off the ground.....Ed

boldts
08-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Been using a Snapper with self propel and either mulch or bag options on it. Bag is in the back so nothing sticking out to the side. I've had it for 8 years now and have only had to take a file to the blade to sharpen it up. Been a great mower so far! (Knocking on wood)

Kirk
08-02-2003, 08:52 PM
My .02 I have a 1954 Locke Reel Triplex with an 80 cut...it rolls the lawn as it cuts. It is all I have ever cut with. Up Hills down hills it cuts great. You should be able to find one cheap. If you plan on using it more for trimming get the 25' Trimer. Great unit!! reminds me that I have a 1946 trimmer that needs to be restored!!

12HP Briggs is original and runs like a top!!

KJ

Dr. Dan
08-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Steve....I am sorta doing the same thing just the "Flip Side"....I just bought a little Lawn Tractor...to help me speed things up on my postage stamp size lot! :p I purchased a Scotts Brand Self Propelled Mower from the Home Boys @ Home Depot.....it was a $400 Mower and it was on sale for around $299 as I remember...this mower has given me 3 seasons of trouble free running, and it does a great job on hills and a neat cut. For inclines it has the Much Larger Tires in the Rear, the drive wheels are in the front, it has side discharge, mulching and bagging capabilities...for the money it has been comprable to Hondas and the Snappers I have used....with out their serious price tags...looking forard to my new Yard Donzi arriving sometime this week.... :D

Doc of Fescue