PDA

View Full Version : AM General HUMVEE expreience?

harbormaster
03-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Anyone have experience with AM General HUMVEE's ?
I have heard that the H1's are lemons. I really do like the looks of them. I don't care about highway cruising speed or fuel economy. Anyone out there ever had one? I am especially interested in knowing more about the 80's through early 90's H1.

<small>[ March 27, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

BUIZILLA
03-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Go open the hood on one of those and get back to us... eek!
I worked on one diesel example...last one I would touch...never again.

J

The H2's look kinda cool though, but the sub 10mpg ALL THE TIME sucks..

Team Jefe
03-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Scot I have to agree with Buzilla on the crappy 6.5L converted-from-gasoline GM deisel motor just sucks.

But, everything else on the H1 is Super Cool. I had a lengthy test drive of one a few years ago (the how is a long story for another time). I put a 4-door, truck bed version through its paces. Highway driving, dirt road driving, though 4ft of water, over moguls (with two tires off the ground at a time). It performed awesome,I was going down a washboard road at 60 mph with a cup of coffee sitting on the console next to me, perfectly smooth, I really liked it......but it only has room for 4 people and the motor really sucks.

Hey you're a computer guy, all computer guys are loaded. So,get one and wedge a 7.3L powerstroke in there with a Banks system or something, cranking 1000HP and you'll have one hell of a ride :D

JEFE

olemissalum
03-27-2003, 05:53 PM
The 6.5 in the Hummer in its stock form is a PIG!! However the Hummer version never went with the electronic pump that gave GM fits from 94 and on versions so is a pretty reliable engine. They can be really made to scream with a marine version pump and new injectors and exhaust system. I had a 6.5 and would not advise one unless you are a die hard GM man. Even if you invested money in upgrading it will not pull like Powerstroke(which I have now :D ) Just my 2 cents since I have had one before

olredalert
03-27-2003, 06:56 PM
------Besides all the above the center console doubles as a queen size bed.Just in case your wife throws you out for buying it in the first place...LOL.........ol red!......Bill S

harbormaster
03-27-2003, 08:16 PM
They made a version with a gas v8 in 95 that supposedly was pretty peppy.

rae
03-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Hey Harbormaster,
We rented one for the weekend about 9 years ago. All I know is that it was cool as s**t to drive! :D :D :D :D We have a really cool picture of it in the garage with my Miata.

By the way, I am a working girl again!!! :D :D

Ruth Ann

Woodsy
03-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Scott...

Got to drive one quite a bit working for "the Lab"...

It rides like it looks... rough is an understatement. It is very wide, wider than J Lo's ass! Doesn't fit into normal parking spaces, and god help you if an 18 Wheeler passes you on a two lane highway... and they will because it will not go over 65mph willingly.. 55 is tops if your towing. Given the cost of these things, i would not go out of my way to buy one..

That being said, it was a blast to drive off road! We were testing an "instrument" and got to play all over the swamps & rivers & quarrys... At 30mph nothing will stop the thing.

Woodsy Von LabRat

harbormaster
03-28-2003, 04:22 AM
I had found some military versions for under 25k. I also found some civilian versions under 25 also. Just a toy. I probably can't afford it, but I am kicking tires none the less.

HyperDonzi
03-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Rae, how do you like those Miata's? I have looked at a few online...

Harbormaster, The H1 are pretty cool, but dont you think thats overkill for an 18? Could it be time for that 22? :D :D wink

AGUESS
03-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Scot, Have you ever looked at a G-Wagen. This is the G-Class Mercedes. Look at one from around 1984-85.

They are a lot like the Humvee, but not as wide. I understand that they perform better.

go to: www.clubgwagen.com. (http://www.clubgwagen.com.)

or to: jtoutfitters.com. then to the G-wagen forum.

I like the long Wheel Base (LWB) and have driven the SWB 1984. Great Truck.

Alex.

krakmeup
03-31-2003, 09:36 AM
Hey Scot - as Rae mentioned, we rented an H1 for a long weekend several years ago. Ever since then, I have been watching the used market to see prices come into reality. My impressions - simply an awesome vehicle. As for those who might suggest it is ugly, rough, and over done, please give me a break - this is a vehicle designed for FUNCTION in extreme situations, and then it has been somewhat(= minimally) urbanized. If you are a wannbe Hummer owner that wants to cart the kiddies to soccer practice, buy the H2 (a highly modified Tahoe).

Driving an H1 is a blast - yes they are slow (0-60 I recorded at ~18 seconds in the standard diesel version) and very large. As for parking it, I smile and say don't park it - just shut 'er down and get out (at ~6' wide with mirrors it DOES cause you to walk from the outer spaces at Wal-Mart :D ). Stock service allows you to ford ~30" water, 16" ground clearance, and the angle of approach is 74 degrees!!! If you want to trail ride, just be sure your buddies in their CJ's set the bridges wide enough for the Hummer, a common complaint when riding with other off-roaders.

The engines were the soft spot, the comments herein are noteworthy - slow, hard to work on, died early deaths, etc etc. It would have been nice to see Cummings, for example, put a nice stong diesel in these trucks.

Take a look for used vehicles at http://www.attilathehum.com/ to see a great site. If prices are around $25K I may have to dust off my notes again. I've heard to stay away from the gas versions as they simply were underpowered, and the military versions often require too much re-modification to have any comfort. For example the mil-spec version does not have any insulation and only jump seats (made to accomodate four soldiers with field packs on their backs, and in place of insulation would be kevlar armour sheilding).

I'll be glad to run down with you to Alvin and introduce you to Auggie, our local Humvee expert at Ron Carter's dealership.

Keith