PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Over XI. The path not taken..

Formula Jr
05-04-2003, 01:20 AM
In our last installation, you'll recall that Owen was alittle set back by the condition and title status of the GT 21 he was seeing for the first time in Annapolis.

I had brought everything needed to outfit a boat, fully expecting a run on The Bay in my new baby. Its clear now that, that isn't going to happen, and I have to laugh at myself for filling half the van up with boat stuff: I had even brought the dog's PFD.

Speaking of Dogs. Henry is in heaven. This Dog always surprises and in a strange way educates me. He is smarter than I am. He's a total activity junky. The two nephews are giving him a run for his money. And he's loving every second of it. Before, If I threw out a ball or a frisbie he'd just look at me, with a little, "What did you do that for?" But here with the kids, he's finding tennis balls and dropping them at their feet for a round of fetch.

The first time we headed out to the Brother's community docks to go fishing, I turned to Steve and said, "Check this out. I'll bet he finds your boat." Sure enough, he runs out on the maze of piers ahead of us, stopping briefly at each boat along the way. And well before we even get close to the dock, there's Henry sitting looking at us, then at the Blackfin with alittle grin - "It's this one; isn't it?"

I've never seen a dog that does stuff like that. The more you throw at him, the better he gets.

Its 5AM, when the nephews flip on the pre-school TV and channel surf in the exact same manner of their father. There is something, incredably sweet, when an eight year old, says "Morning, Uncle Owie!" I've never been a family kind of guy, domestic life was not something I wanted on my plate. But, to be awoke at 5am, by a totally hyper-active kid, all charged with the possible events of a new day, made me think of the richness, the family man/woman has every morning.
And then there's the beauty of the ritual. The pattern, and sameness of the domestic life.

"Where's your home work? Those socks don't match. Yes, your good socks are still in the wash. We will look for your pet lizard while you are at school. Finish your fench toast. Do you have the slips I had to sign? Did you find the library book?"

Sweet complexity......in a dance of love......

Like I said before, this trip spoke of something different than all the others. It was a crescendo of ideas and emotions. Not a mid-life crisis, that is an over-used phrase. Would I have liked another path? No. I guess, you just can't have it all. When you embrace life, and thats what we are talking about here, there are seperate and equally valid paths. Mine was/is different than my brother's. His riches are just stamped in different coin. But when a kid wakes you at 5am, with bright eyes, its like some one gave you a shinny penny. :)

farmer tx
05-04-2003, 01:40 AM
Owen,
I really enjoy Crossing Over.
Keep them coming.

MOP
05-04-2003, 08:43 AM
Here Here! Great post! I to have been re awakened to the joys of the Little Buggers! I am having the best time cranking up my grand kids sending them home wired and suffering the rath of my daughter in law. But hell thats what grand pops are for. It truly is painless child birth for my Bonnie, nothing like being around a Grand Ma! Lifes ups and downs seem to fade when the little buggers charge in and destroy the whole house, and yeah we love every minute of it.

EricG
05-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Another great installment Owen...keep them coming.

It's funny how some simple little things can change our outlook. After fighting with Kathy for over a year, she finally conviced me to get a cat. I've never had a pet in my life...and I really didn't want one....But after having her around for a few months, I can't imagine the house without her....there's just something about seeing her walking around the house with a stupid stuffed mouse hanging out of her mouth that makes me smile.... Now kids, let me get used to the Cat for a while first :rolleyes:

Henry may be smart, but let's see him get his head through my new titanium port-hole screens wink

EG

oldLenny
05-05-2003, 03:06 PM
I'd like to know how it is that kids get up at 6 am on weekends, after going to bed late the night before, only to greet me and my hangover, and on schoolnights when they go to bed on time they can't be woken up in the morning???

Owen, been there done that, both versions of life. I think a potpouri of lifes' events makes up a better mix. Not just one or the other.

ToonaFish
05-06-2003, 12:18 AM
The best Xover yet!