PDA

View Full Version : FISHING REPORT - Texas Oilmen's Rodeo

Team Jefe
06-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Texas Oilmen’s Rodeo – Fishing Report

Wow, I was a prepared to be a little disappointed in this tourney after just getting back from Houma, but let me tell you, this is one nice Rodeo.

For starters it is about ¼ the size of Houma, but they give away just as many door prizes. And YES I won one this time. A Calcutta 150 on a 7’ Lone Star Poppin’ Rod. Very Nice. Also, they gave everyone a nice waterproof boat bag with all kinds of goodies in it….but I’m getting ahead of myself.

Wednesday, June 4, 2003
Major crisis was just avoided. On Saturday, Vicki and I had Jefe’s Revenge out to Kemah to join the SE Texas crew at Redfish. Just as I launched I broke the shift cable on the port motor, that sucked, but JimG & Janet Marie came to the rescue and took Vicki and me on the Yellow & Black 18 (has anyone ever noticed how good Janet looks in here black thong bikini, there is no way she’s 40, Jim is a lucky man for a Miata Drivin’ Queen, Also Vicki was in black and looking very much the Hottie if I say so myself…but I digress).

So Tuesday I was at Kroll’s marine in Rosenberg at 0800 to get the cables replaced. They did it that day and all under warranty. So, Wednesday, I got the REVENGE and headed down to Freeport to meet my crew and benefactor for the tourney. Super Dave Eggers & Mr. Bob Haley. Bob was gracious enough to let us use his house on the canal just north of the 332 bridge. We launched the REVENGE, motored over there, moored up and went to have a nice dinner at Willie Joe’s on our way home.

Friday, June 6th 2003
It was Vicki’s birthday yesterday and we had a great dinner at Carraba’s with our families. In bed about 2230, I had the alarm set for 0200 so we could get to Freeport on time. I didn’t even stir when the alarm went off and got up at 0300. OK now I’m mad ‘cause I’m late. My Dad is filling out the crew for the tourney and we are out of the house and zooming to Freeport. I was able to make up some time by traveling warp factor 9 on the lightly traveled highway (Vicki, thanks again for the Passport).

Finally, were motoring out of the jetties, this is when I settle down…..Kinda. It was rough, easy 4 footers, and they are coming from every direction. But Hell it’s a tourney and we gotta go fishing. The ride out was bumpy to say the least, but we caught a few nice Kings, a dozen Red Snapper, and the Winning Amberjack (keep that in mind). Also, we had several break offs, both tied up and trolling. My guess was big sharks, but who really knows. I’m going to have to restring the TLD’s with bigger line 40lb test just ain’t getting’ it in these tourney’s.

The ride back was very nice, the seas had settled down and it was a beautiful day. When we got back, Dad & Dave volunteered to clean the fish, while Bob I cleaned the boat. Actually, Bob was helping with both operations. Anyway, yes you guessed it…..BIG, TOURNEY WINNING Amberjack was filleted (it actually would have placed third). Huh, What, who made that decision? We are in a tournament remember? Well too late now, so we headed to Matagorda and hung out at the tent all night. It was very much like Houma, free food and drinks, Koozies, and all kinds of other give away stuff. And I won the Calcutta 150. The drive back to Freeport at 2230 was very tiring.

Saturday, June 7 2003
Same ride out as yesterday, same Snapper hook ups, but no big Fish. Bob’s Boss, David Woods was along for his first offshore trip and did well for a Rookie. He only caught the production platform once. After a few hours, we started running trying to find a big fish to get in the tourney. We did find a 7-8 foot Hammerhead that would have won Big Fish, but could never entice him onto a line. So it was back to Freeport, cleaned up and once again to Matagorda. I had to be there to win the grand prize boat. Well, I am still a one boat owner, as are the rest of my crew. Still we had a great time.

This tourney is growing, and is an absolute blast. We’ll be back next year.

Tight Lines,
JEFE

harbormaster
06-11-2003, 07:34 PM
So Jeff, What would you have won with that 3rd place fish?

Team Jefe
06-12-2003, 06:52 AM
Third Place would have gotten us $500.00, a Castaway offshore Rod ($200 worth), and the admiration of dozens of adoring fans...well maybe that part was a little exaggerated.

We would have split the cash 4 ways and the boat would have gotten any tackle. Still not covering all our expenses, but better than a poke in the eye.

The Calcutta Rig helped to ease my pain :D