PDA

View Full Version : TRS Outdrives

evetsathom
03-23-2003, 04:23 PM
I need information on TRS outdrives. I know nothing about them. I have always been told that I should stick with the Bravo. Any takers ?

Cuda
03-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Most people that have had TRS drives seem to like them pretty well. They are supposed to be stronger than a standard Bravo. Apparently the transmissions were the weak link in the set up. The merc trans were supposedly bad and the BW's were better. This is just based on what I have read, I have no first hand knowledge with them.

smoothie
03-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Do a search on TRS,and you will get all the info that you are asking for... wink

olredalert
03-23-2003, 08:22 PM
-------A TRS with a small block,almost any small block,will take a tremendous amount of abuse in my opinion.I understand that the merc trans is somewhat weaker than the Borg-Warner,but maybe not as much difference as is often portrayed.
-------Back in 1979 I ran my big-block/TRS powered X-18 hard.I was younger then and used to have a take no prisoners attitude.It gave me no trouble for the 3 years I ran it.Matter of fact,thinking back,I never even changed the trans lube in that merc trans.Thank God I have wised up a little.......ol red!......Bill S

Budmann
03-24-2003, 09:29 AM
TRS...BULLETPROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigGrizzly
03-24-2003, 07:34 PM
I have a TRS on my supercharged Criterion the engine is dynoed at 698 HP and 700 ftpounds of torque, I have a merc trans -the weakest of the three, they cane with the merc trans , the borg C10-17 and the borg C10-18. all the Huber and cyborg trans are hopped up borg velvet drives- for high HP. My merc trand is now hopped up because after 22yeard it slipped the clutches. Thanka to Tom Huber and his wife(she explained how to assemble it) my trands will hold the 698 ponies. The TRS its self is strongrer than a bravo by a long shot. I was told it was also st5rongrt than an XR also. the problem is they are getting scarse. Now would I change a Bravo for a TRS- NO. would I trad my Trs for a bravo No on that one too. what is really nice on the TRS is the fact you put it in gear and the boat moves with out any gear grinding - it just moves

MR MAGOO
03-25-2003, 09:54 AM
I`ve had many TRS drives over the years also. My currrent boat is a 38 Cigarette Top Gun with twin 750 hp Hawk blower motors and TRS drives. Put over 100 hrs on it last season. The gears and shafts in a TRS are MUCH larger than a Bravo. I had recently bought every gear, bearing, shim and seal to completely rebuild a TRS and everything was in stock from Merc.

One point I would like to make is that the TRS MUST be assembled by someone who is familiar with them and has the proper shimming tools. They can be very time consuming to rebuild as there is a shim for almost every bearing. I`ve had 4 boats with TRS drives and the only failure was a broken pinion gear that was caused by incorrect shimming of the pinion gear height.I think in some cases the TRS had got a bad rep because of slipshod repair methods.

As for the MercTrans, I`ve had great luck with them in small blocks and mild big block applications. I had a 24 Superboat with a 482" Gale Banks twin turbo set up with a TRS/MercTrans and I can not tell you how many front pump gears I had broken with that combo. If I was running my fastest prop, a 29 Mirage Plus, I could blow the tranny any time I was too agressive out of the hole. It did last longer spinnning a 27p.

Grizz, did you do any mods to the pump to make it last in your Criterion?

<small>[ March 25, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: MR MAGOO ]</small>

wytmike
03-25-2003, 11:00 AM
I have a TRSf drive with a 454 Banks Stage1 Turbo(525 h.p.) hooked to it in a Z25. Have well over 200 hours on it with no trouble at all.

<small>[ March 25, 2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: wytmike ]</small>