PDA

View Full Version : Here ya go Xtreme... American History

Rootsy
04-22-2003, 11:16 PM
My latest project... A 1952 International Harverster W4. This tractor is the wheatland model of the rowcrop Farmall H. She is almost complete.. short of finishing the fenders and the battery box and cables... and a good overall cleanup... Can you believe this thing was 6 different colors when i picked her up in da UP eh? i think i put about 10 bags of sand through the blaster on this one!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot201.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot203.jpg

hmmm which one do i do next... only 10 more left!

Fish boy
04-23-2003, 06:01 AM
Man rootsy, that thing is really cool. It looks brand new.

MOP
04-23-2003, 06:33 AM
A WOW! super nice job! I have a friend on Shelter Island that collects and re-habs old tractors and Make & Breaks. Probably like up your way, they have a few shows a year that are really great to see what they have dragged out of the barn, lot or swamp. One show they will display a rusted hulk the following spring it looks like it was just delivered new. Thanks for your time and love to keep this stuff alive and very well!

BUIZILLA
04-23-2003, 06:34 AM
2 thumbs up !!

Roots, IMO. get a chrome stack for it, and HPC the manifold(s) for a final touch.

J

where's the seat?

Darrell
04-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Rootsy:

Great looking tractor, My dad's 1st new tractor was a 1959 450 Farmall. He has had many since, but he still keeps and uses the 450, about every ten years he paints and put new decals on it.

Darrell

Brad Lyon
04-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Very cool Jamie, maybe you could bring your Donzi up to the Titty River this summer and tell me why my tractor wont start anymore. It is a International Harverster model "C", I think?

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon0104.jpg

P.S. Any chance of getting some of that barn wood when she falls down?

Rootsy
04-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys.

MOP, here in the midwest there are more tractor shows than you could possibly attend. Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Illinois could pack a summer. We are afterall in the heartland of America here. Antique tractor restoration has become a very popular ordeal with the older generation and their children and grandchildren. Antique tractor pulling has also grown leaps and bounds... they now have Farmall M's stroked to well over 500 cubic inches producing in excess of 300 hp... out of a block that originally displaced roughly 250 cubic inches and made around 45 hp in Super M form...

B,

the pipe is temporary.. she'll get a muffler when i am finished...

Brad,

that's a C alright... probably a super C actually. Nothing on that which cannot be repaired... is she free or stuck? fuel? fire at the plugs? not much that can go wrong with em, extremely simple (updraft carb, points ignition).

Right now i have plenty to finish.. the white barn behind the tractor in the second photo is filled with em... my grandfathers 1945 M which he purchased new in 1945, my 1950 M with aftermarket wide front end, 1946 IH W6, 2 IH Farmall H's, 1941 John Deere L - hand crank & Magneto - which my grandfather purchased in bushel baskets and reassembled, 1952 John Deere B - originally belonged to my great uncle, and in the Main shop sits the 1947 IH Farmall MD (Diesel) and a 1954 IH Super WD9.

here's one of the W4 in stripped down version

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot400.jpg

here are a few of a farmall H i did for a gentleman a couple of years ago.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot401.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot402.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot403.jpg

BUIZILLA
04-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Screw the muffler :D

it NEEDS a chrome 4" stack like a 1466 :p

J

tell me more about the diesel one

Rootsy
04-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim,

2 diesels actually.. well actually we have 3... the MD and the Super WD9 which is a step larger than the MD but a whealand model like the W4. and also a 1256 Turbo Hydro.... which has the fuel screwed to her and an air research turbo spinning under the hood... orignal 125 horse tractor pegs a 180 hp pto dyno...

actually i just got the MD injection pump back, had a stuck bypass valve... IH used two different pumps.. a bosch and an IH pump, both of my old diesels have the IH pump. The IH pump has an internal camshaft that runs off of the front of the motor via gears and the lobes actuate the plungers to send fuel to the nozzles. Behind the camshaft attached to the pump housing is a small high pressure pump which is driven off of the rear of the pumps camshaft to feed the fuel to the plungers and provide pressure.

on the MD and SWD9 you start em on gas and warm em up then switch em over to diesel. No glo-plugs.

we also have (2) 2-71 detroits and one or two 3-71's... used to actually have a couple small 53 series motors but those brought some good dough so they went... one of the 2-71's is an original 30's vintage GM block but has a broken rotor in the blower.. the other is a later model DD casting. Probably stick one of them in an M with some 90 injectors for some pulling action... used to be a popular conversion to perform. putting either a 2-71 or a sheppard in an M...

BUIZILLA
04-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Rootsy, I am in the diesel fuel injection and turbo business, and own my own certified lab, 6 technicians and 7 test stands.....
we are the largest Garrett, Schwitzer and Holset turbo warehouse in South Fla...hell, we're the ONLY warehouse.. LOL whatever turbo you want, I got it on the shelf..
I have several of those cast iron IH pumps laying around, actually maybe a dozen or more..
I LOVE diesels...

J

get a chrome 4" stack will ya :p

Eugene Nahemow
04-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Now that ride is incredible!!
It's also my favorite color.
I need a barn. :D :D
Great job keeping these machines alive.

Rootsy
04-24-2003, 07:24 AM
sorry scott, already have one sittin in the corner wink and a couple 8-92 TA Silvers too :D

Root - more diesel than gas...

EricG
04-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Rootsy,

Those are increadible restorations.....I sent a couple of those pics to my Step-dad (he's a tractor kind-of guy). He said they looked better than new biggrin. He's looking for an AC D17 Series III or IV, or an AC one-seventy or one-eighty....you know of any good places to find stuff like that?

Great work. Between that and the boat, when do you sleep? wink

EG
-Why do I live in the city? :confused:

Forrest
04-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Wow! Very nice. Us Florida boys never even though about doin' up an antique tractor. Extra cool!!! :cool: :cool:

olredalert
04-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Rootsy,

-------What a collection.Very impressive.Somehow I dont see those things out on the back 40 anymore!Have they tilled thier last row?Have they bushed thier last hog?Have they....ahhhh forget it.A very good old friend,Dale Smith,has built up a huge antique tractor parts business.Im not sure if he renamed it from his former business,but the old business was called O.E.M.Do you recognize the name?I know he is in love with anything IH in particular.
-------Being relatively new to Michigan(6 years),can you tell me where Brooklyn Mi.is?I cant seem to find it on the map..............Bill S........ol red!

TMANN
04-25-2003, 11:50 AM
That’s a nice looking Harverster. You must really enjoy it. :)

TMANN

Rootsy
04-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Bill,

Brooklyn is in the Irish Hills of Michigan. Find US 12 out of ann arbor / saline and head west. Find where M-50 crosses and you are just a few miles south of Brooklyn. Basically it is between Clinton and US-127. This is also where Michigan International Speedway is located.

ClassicRazorback
04-25-2003, 09:43 PM
Thats very cool!

Chris

olredalert
04-25-2003, 10:38 PM
------Thanks Rootsy!I knew I recognized Brooklyn from somewhere.Race track!Now Im back on track.I see what looks like a small lake down there.Is that where your DONZI mayhem occurs?Do you get over Harsens Island way at all(by invitation,maybe).We MI guys should start thinking about some warm weather activities here.I think maybe,just maybe,I see some warmer temperatures on the horizon.That is,if it doesnt snow some more!!!!!!!........Bill S........ol red!