PDA

View Full Version : Lake Winni Poker Run

Digger
01-13-2004, 08:36 AM
can we get a confirmation of dates and put it on the calendar?
thx!

Dr. Dan
01-13-2004, 10:05 AM
:D I speak to the CulottaMeister regularly, this year it is on July 31st! :p Always some kinda fun...to be had...on a Winni Run! wink

Doc :cool:

Digger
01-13-2004, 11:03 AM
awesome, thx Doc! see you there

Team Jefe
01-13-2004, 01:54 PM
July 31st, Woo Hoo :D ! ! !

Great, I was afraid it was going to be the week before, which is the same week as the Grand Isle Tarpon Rodeo...My biggest tourny of the year.

AJ and I are there. We'll probably get there on Thursday the 29th and leave bright and early Sunday Morning.

CAN NOT WAIT :D :D :D

ToonaFish
01-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Does one need a passport for travel to that far off land?

Bunches,

Toona 'wondering about necessary vaccinations too, but certain the water is safe to drink'

boxy
01-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Actually Toona I don't believe they have drinking water at Lake Winni, and I'm sure everything else you consume will pretty much nulify the need for vaccinations.....
The date seems perfect, it's almost a month before the 1000 Islands run, that'll give me almost 30 days to either post bond, or recover.... :D

Digger
01-14-2004, 05:07 AM
passports not req'd, but a durable liver will be helpful.

come one, come all, boat or no boat. I will have extra seats as will others!

Hey Toona cool avatar!

ToonaFish
01-14-2004, 05:14 AM
The avatar is a John Totaro original, "Looking For Her Life" from his current show.

Is there nothing these Winni Bandits can't do? (And do well, at that!)

Bunches,

Celene 'Looking For Her Liver'

donzinh
01-14-2004, 08:07 AM
OK, so we are late with the post!!!! Still working out the details.

As ALWAYS, the Lake Winni Poker Run will be the LAST SATURDAY OF JULY. This year it falls on the 31st.

On Saturday, like previous years, we will be departing from the NASWA. The rest of the details will be forthcoming.

If you would like a mailing of the dates and details, please email us your address at donzinh@comcast.net Once all the details are planned and restaurants, bars, etc... have been contacted, we will also post it to the events calander. Anyone wanting to come, but needs a place to stay, there are a lot of us that have taken in strangers for the weekend.

donzinh
01-14-2004, 08:09 AM
OK, so we are late with the post!!!! Still working out the details.

As ALWAYS, the Lake Winni Poker Run will be the LAST SATURDAY OF JULY. This year it falls on the 31st.

On Saturday, like previous years, we will be departing from the NASWA. The rest of the details will be forthcoming.

If you would like a mailing of the dates and details, please email us your address at donzinh@comcast.net Once all the details are planned and restaurants, bars, etc... have been contacted, we will also post it to the events calander. Anyone wanting to come, but needs a place to stay, there are a lot of us that have taken in strangers for the weekend.

Bonnie

Digger
01-14-2004, 09:30 AM
no sweat Bonnie! just wanted to stir the pot a little and get everybody thinking about it. stay warm up there! think Summer!

Team Jefe
01-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Ring.....Ring....Ring...., uh hello

Is this the Hotel Von Outboard?

good, I'd like to reserve a room please....Yes, 2 persons.....King bed if available...really anything will do.

Yes, we'll be up for the Big Lake Winni Poker Run....Why yes, we will have a DONZI....and yes is does have outboard motors....a discount, really, that is wonderful....great, we'll see you on the 29th.

Air 22
01-17-2004, 07:54 PM
George/Bonnie....

Crissy and I will be there this year w/ DONZI wink

Dr. Dan
01-18-2004, 06:05 AM
:p Thanks for the Warning Dwight....I'll alert the media..... "Pilot From Nova Scotia Lands at the Naswa"....men hide your Daughters & Sheep! eek! WooooooooSaaaaaaaaaaa!

:cool: Doc

boxy
01-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Dr. Dan:
:p Thanks for the Warning Dwight....I'll alert the media..... "Pilot From Nova Scotia Lands at the Naswa"....men hide your Daughters & Sheep! eek! WUUUUSAAAAAaahhhhhhhh!

:cool: Doc Doc/Dwight I'm confused...is Dwight from Nova Scotia originally, where abouts ?????
Looks like we may have to fill up the truck with a couple of cases of Keiths, and Olans :D

Air 22
01-18-2004, 06:04 PM
I AM CANADIAN...A...1/2 that is ...Mum is from Victoria, BC Grampa was in the RCMP WWII etc;) I'm from Lake George, NY...THE QUEEN of American Lakes.. wink

Boxy...Luv that Keith's and Olans.... wink bring somw w/ ya ....A :p Halifax rocks in the summertime!!!

DOC...its.....WooooooooooooSaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! :D

Woodsy
01-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Well now... here we are in January, and it looks like we are going to have a great time at the Lake Winni Poker Run, We have a couple of wackos TOWING a boat from the Lonestar state, a few Canadians, a COUPLE of lunatic pilots (one who will be celebrating a birthday I am told), a crazy college kid posing as a serious businessman, and some quack pretending to be a doctor from Pennsylvania, along with the usual assorted Rogues Gallery and Winni Trash.... George & Bonzai, Horseman & Co., T-Bone, Waleye & Stang, Gringo Pete & Momodahomo etc. Sounds like aa AWESOME time to me! There are a few more Bandits and others that we will hopefully see as well. Can't wait to see you guys!

Jefe, your confirmation number for your reservation is JEFEDONZI1...

Woodsy Von Frozen... :D :D

Team Jefe
01-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Thank you sir for the confirmation ! :)

Based on Bonnie's correspondence, Team WACKO will be adjusting our arrival and departure times.

We will roll in Friday in time for the evening's festivities and roll out Monday Morning

2000 miles in 36 hours.....No Sweat :p

ToonaFish
01-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Add me to your list of wallflowers, Woodsy... I'm penciled in at Chez Crazyhorse, pending all sorts of things aligning. (And that spare liver being made available!)

Bunches,

Celene "Bandits in their native environ, what would Darwin study first?"

Team Jefe
01-21-2004, 11:12 AM
ToonaBaby's coming......I mean going to be in attendance :p

Oh, this just gets better and better :D :D :D

One more lovely lady for the Red Bikini Team wink

Cuda
01-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Any Florida boys going? How far is the drive from here?

Dr. Dan
01-22-2004, 04:09 AM
:p Cuda........ although in recent memory, Poodle was at 1000 Isles and he can highlight on that journey(which is entirely different area to travel,more rural) than Winnie. I promise I will only go once a year...because it always dumps about 9' of Snow on me whenever I am up there in the Winter....but I have been there 3 times last year alone. What makes it kinda unknown is the traffic in the surrounding cities...New York,Connecticut Commuters, and of course Boston & the Mass Pike. Liz and I have it down now ...but I would recommend the following...
Take 287 around the West side of New York City...up to the Tappan Zee Bridge....from there follow up directly North towards Danbury,Ct and Hartford...I have had it vary anywhere from 8 to 12 hours for me and I live just North of Baltimore off I-83 in Pa. It really depends on the time/day you hit the high volume areas...it can cut as much as 3 hours off my time? wink If I had to guess...from Jacksonville....it's no less than a 2 to 2.5 day run (towing a boat) 95 is pretty painless until ya hit D.C. then the fun starts...Brad & Amy live outside D.C. and they now come my commuter route(thru central P.A...via Harrisburg and over through Allentown to 287,keeps ya outta New York and Phili)....just less B.S. traffic.

Keeper of the Travel Log

:rolleyes: Doc

boxy
01-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Is there stuff going on Thursday night, Friday pre noon, or should we just roll out early Friday morning so that we are there in time for beers Friday afternoon ???
Did I mention that the Monday after is a statutory holiday here, we will be in until Monday AM. :D

Tom Davis
02-05-2004, 11:56 AM
:beer: Boxy! :canada: We usually wake up around noon and start mulling about, by 12:30 most are in boats and ready to start the party rolling..... So if you plan to show up around noon on Friday or on Thursday night for that matter I'm sure we can find some trouble to get into. Most of the Winni Bandits take that Friday off so we will be out and about, let us know when you plan on showing up and we'll figure it out from there. Boats are still covered for the winter so we still have time to wing it....

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

boxy
02-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Sounds good TD, if we roll out of here by 4:00 PM Thursday we should be there in time for last call, if we start drinking Red Bull when we hit the border we should be able to catch up quick..... :jestera:

boxy
02-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Are either the Naswa, or the Lake Winni hotel our best bets to be close to the action ??

Tom Davis
02-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Boxy! Red Bulls starting at the border should get you here by last call, thats the easy part..... There have been rumors floating around that the "hosting venue" might be changed to another resort just down the channel. Both places have rooms and cabins. I will check in with George and Bonnie who are coordinating the event and either post here or they will reply.

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Digger
03-12-2004, 02:50 PM
140 days to go :)

MikeMiller
03-24-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm in! :beer:

Can't wait to see everyone and I hope we can find some Karaoke!

Many of you will see a whole new me :bonk:

Tom Davis
03-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey Mike,
I know Kim has been practicing very hard all year for her duet with you this summer. I'm sure we'll find Karaoke at some point....

Woodsy
03-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Hey Mike...

Kareoke... Sunday night at the Paradise.... I'll look around for another place as well... But I know Sundays at the Dise are a definite. BTW, glad to hear all is looking up for you!

Bertram & Diana... sorry I haven't gotten back to your, but your reservation is confirmed.... Hotel Woodsy!

CDMA?? No confirmation yet.... but have space on hold. Rumour has it take over of the world might interrupt visiting plans.

Jefe & AJ.. you guys are in too....

T-Bone... Kim needs to practice? I don't think so!

CrazyHorse... didn't forget ya, all sorts of e-mail issues at work. Didn't get any sledding in this year anyway.. 50 miles on one day... pretty darn lame!

Woodsy Von Outboard :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Dr. Dan
03-24-2004, 06:24 PM
:outtahere Well, I'll bring the Ear Plugs if Woodsy Sings....should be a rare and high Flight Level Run this year..... :shades:

:beer: Doc

boxy
03-24-2004, 11:42 PM
The Dise Sunday night ....looks like I'm staying over till Monday morning. :D

It also looks like due to family commitments Lou won't be making a Donzi appearance till the 1000 Islands, I'm running solo, so who wants to trade a seat for beer ?? :canada: :beer:

Team Jefe
03-25-2004, 06:20 AM
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

We can not wait ! ! !

I got the trailer retrofit done (mostly :rolleyes: )...Upgrades to 16" wheels and tires...I'll post that saga later.....new SS disc brakes, new lights, etc. looks like its ready for the "About 8,000 miles" it will see this year........
...........Now If I can just get those new motors dialed in... :banghead:

MikeMiller
03-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Woodsy (aka Karaoke Pimp) :biggrin: , can't stay through Sunday night. See if there is anything Friday or Saturday. If not , we'll have to make our own or rent a KJ!!

Never Fear! Where there's Donzi and booze... anything can happen! :beer:

J&K SHAHBAS
03-25-2004, 08:35 AM
We are kicking this trip around alot lately so could someone give us the best bet on where to stay with boat. Im pretty sure the 28 is going to be done and since Kathys big 40!! is on Aug 1st I think it would be great to spend with some kick ass Donzi folks. Thanks for your help!!

Dr. Dan
03-25-2004, 05:47 PM
:wavey: John there are alot of options....we pull our boat each nite...and put in at Ames Farm...which is about a 10 minute Drive by car to the Naswa Resort Area...sorta...The Naswa Resort is where the Event is held at....but there is also lodging available at the Christmas Inn...just down the road...Woodsy or some locals can suggest some of the other Facilities....There are some truly fabulous Inns at many of the surrounding towns...Wolfboro...which is kiddy corner across the Lake...but a really cool town...Alton Bay, Laconia...and I am sure others...the Lake is huge....and sports some of the more Challenging True Donzi Running conditions.... :party:

It would be so neat to have you guys come on up....hope to see you.... :crossfing

Doc

Digger
03-25-2004, 06:03 PM
John it would be awesome to see you and K there, by all means come up!! You will have a blast! Try the xmas island hotel like Dan said, here is a link with phone no. and address.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-372026-christmas_island_resort_motel-i

This would be an excellent location to stay, boat friendly, protected dockage, and very close to the action. (including Woodsy and Princess's house :) )Some of the event may actually take place there anyway, George and Bonnie are working that. The NASWA is of course another option.

http://www.naswaresort.com/

Digger
03-25-2004, 06:30 PM
here's a few lake Winni pics to wet your whistle... if anyone's riding the fence about coming up here or not... don't, just come!! :boat:

Lake Winni facts:
Area of water surface = 72 square miles
Number of islands = 250
Distance around lake = 182 miles
Height above sea level = 504 feet

OK so maybe you can't remember or spell the name "Winnipesaukee", blame it on the indians who settled here, it means "smile of the great spirit"

safety tip: unless you are intimately familiar with the waters, boat with someone who knows where the hell they are going, there's lots o' granite waitin' to snag something shiny and expensive.

1st pic is Alton Bay, southern end of the lake
2nd pic is Ames Farm, good place to launch as Dr Dan indicates
3rd pic and 4th is weirs channel and beach. In the aerial photo the NASWA is to the lower right.
5th pic is the docks at xmas island

Digger
03-26-2004, 03:38 PM
more Winni shots

1st pic is Moultonboro area (close to where my folks live btw), towards the northern end of the lake. Lots of great unspoiled scenery to be had.

2nd shot is another view of the Weirs, with Paugus Bay in the background. There are a few excellent watering holes in the foreground, just behind the docks, notably the fabulous Paradise, recently awarded an unprecedented and much heralded five star Zagat rating, and the not to be forgotten Rita's next door. There are also a couple places to get pizza where Woodsy says I can't go anymore.

3rd pic is quaint little Wolfeboro, known as the "oldest summer resort in America" or as I call it, the land that time forgot. Don't let the pic fool you there are also some top notch watering holes in this sleepy little burg, all of which are a very short walk from the docks. Also some fine shopping for those of you that care... "oh look honey, a Wolfeboro snowglobe!" :boggled: All kidding aside, a fine town with friendly people, just like most everywhere on this most excellent lake.

Brad Lyon
03-26-2004, 04:35 PM
It looks like a very nice place!

I have a couple of questions:

Are there any Madcow’s attending? Can any Michigan people tell me how far of a drive it is? I checked my Delorme Street Atlas program which shows it as a 16 hour drive but it doesn’t know that Canada exists and it takes you through Ohio.

Kim has yet to finish her first year back in the working world and she is burning all of the vacation time that she has earned on AOTH IV. So, if I were to attend, I would be by myself and maybe the boys. However, if I go you may see a new thread in the "Whatever you want to talk about" section called "Husband for sale, box and Donzi included!"

Brad

ToonaFish
03-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Brad, what does Kim know of the Winni Bandits' reputation?

Bunches,

Celene 'thinking blackmail thoughts'

boxy
03-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Brad, I ran into the same problems with Street Atlas, and MS Streets and Trips all summer travelling to the East coast of Canada, they keep trying to send me through Maine... :D You have to trick it, add Kingston Ontario, and Montreal Quebec to your trip, and it should give the correct route.

Dr. Dan
03-27-2004, 07:05 AM
:rolleyes: Brad....I don't normally see any Cows there...although they should...this year it is the weekend after your Innagural Event...which is why I can't do the MADCOW the weekend before...cuz it would be two long hauls back to back...Boxy is correct...ya wanna come through Canada if ya can...much more direct...don't get me wrong it is a long haul period...and 16 is maybe a bit steep...but I would put it at 12 to 14 hours if ya know what you are doing....break it up over 2 days...its much easier if ya have the time.

It is by far the most isolated and challenging haul....with the exception of Lake Cumberland...in our normal Donzi runs.......Mass Pike and the morons who also want to go the Lake that have the nerve to drive at the same time I do .... gets intense...course I am dealing with the New York City and Hartford Conn. and Boston Traffic...all combined, which is why I have a case of ass for the "Drive" not the Lake...that would be Pearson...who lovingly and affectionately refers to it as "Lake F*@!" ...I think he had a bad year one night in Winnie.... :biggrin.:

Very Cool Shots Digger...thanks so much for sharing...keep in mind after the Poker Run...that night is the Dinner and Dancin Cruise on the Washighton Vessle....mas fun and mas Cervesa!.... :sombrero:

Winni is in a Class on its own...the people are all genuine and super nice ...except for Woodsy.... :wavey:

And the Event weekend seems like a Home Coming more than a boating event...what a great place...I have never missed it since that let me off work release.... :spit:

Doc

Scott Pearson
03-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Cathy and I are going this year.....Did I just say that! Any whoooo....we will be there. Dont know what boat yet but I cant wait to see everyone again.

(NJ)Scott

boxy
03-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Brad, I live about 30 minutes from the highway that runs from Windsor to Montreal ( hwy 401), I think I will be leaving for Winni early Friday morning with a Winni ETA of 12:00 PM. I think I'm about 5 hours from the lake, if you are looking for a halfway point to crash, you are welcome to stop here.
That goes for any of the Michigan crew, we have bed/couch space for a bunch, and there is a bed and breakfast across the street.

I just punched Madison Heights into the map program ( are you near Detroit) it looks like if you run at 120 KM it should take you a little more than 12 hours to get to Winni.

Mi casa es su casa ........

Brad Lyon
03-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Boxy, I tried to do what you suggested in Street Atlas but that didn’t work, Canada just doesn’t exist in my program, screen shot of the Detroit – Windsor border attached. Also, 401 is a long highway, where abouts do you live? I go to Toronto ON and Syracuse NY often and I usually cross at the Port Huron MI – Sarnia ON border, it is quicker that way. I can usually make Syracuse in about 7 hours without a boat attached, not that I notice it’s there when I do tow it!

Brad

boxy
03-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Brad, I live about an hour east of the 1000 Islands Bridge, Interstate 81, I'll load my Delorme software and see if I can shoot you a file to open. I am about 4 hours east of Toronto, and 1.5 hours west of Montreal. It's not ideal, but check out Mapquest, route from Madison MI to Manotick ON K4M1B4, then route from Manotick to Weirs Beach NH.

Tom Davis
03-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Scott? did I hear you right???? Glad you and Cathy are coming, it gets better every year.... :biggrin.:

Stang's little filly
03-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Hey guys I just logged on to write down the dates of the Winni Poker Run this summer, because guess who will be making her first appearance :bonk: That is what I will look like when it is all over...Hope you guys had a great off season (well, sort of off season) and can't wait to see you all this summer!

Team Jefe
04-08-2004, 09:10 AM
A little bitty Mustang.......

........don't forget your Little Bitty Red Bikini :eek:

waleyetwo
04-28-2004, 04:57 PM
hey box let me know if your going to make it up thursday night.we will be there.just put the big boat in friday :)
so boating season is on. :propeller :biggrin.: :cool!: