PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show

rustnrot
10-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Gang, we are probably going to the Ft. Lauderdale Boat show Oct. 30-Nov. 3. My friend Mark has called Donzi and understands they have demo boats setup and he can test drive them. He is gonna start with the Classic 16, then 18, then 22 to decide which one he likes best. I doubt he will buy a new one, but he has never driven any of these. Anyway, any suggestions as to where to stay (cheap) and how to see the show? We are not interested in big ol' yachts, just sport boats, Donzi's in particular. I've also heard this show is now bigger than the Miami show in the spring. Also, which show is better to look at sport boats, this one or the Miami show?

Surfer
10-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Lots of go fast, and most of the show is outside, boats in the water ect. Try the Sheraton Yankee Trader, real nice hotel, up the beach a ways from the show. Hotels around Bahia Mar are already booked. Catch my band on 10/30 at the Bahia Cabana, just south of the show.

Tomahawk
10-13-2003, 10:19 PM
Rusty - I wouldn't go to this show expecting to drive anything - especially a Donzi Classic. As Surfer points out, boats are mostly in the water and they bring in hundreds of tempory docks so that everything is effectively locked up and can't move. You would be lucky to see a Classic, let alone drive one. I may be wrong but that's been the situation for the last 12 years. Suggest you double check with Donzi if that's important to you or your friend. It's a great show none-the-less. Just don't want you to drive down and be disappointed.
Miami is also neat but has more on land and less in the water. Better chance of a ride at Miami though but not in a Classic - unless it's one of the board member's personal boats.
I'll be at both shows. After you look at Donzis, look me up in the Honda Marine booth and say hello.

Tomahawk
10-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Hey Surfer - is your band the Cutback Surfer Band? Will try to get to the Bahia Cabana next Thursday, if time allows, to check it out.

Surfer
10-21-2003, 07:26 AM
That would be us, Mainbrain (Donzi marketing guy)and I on guitar, don't have a clue as to an exact time, but its free beer. I can't believe that Donzi could demo, as theres about five miles of idle speed north and south of the show. Possibly out of the convention center, which is at Port Everglades, but you still have to go outside as the port is idle speed now too.