PDA

View Full Version : cross country Florida run

tailwind
10-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Here is a new one folks:

Let us all agree on a date, an assemble at say port st lucie, or wherever, along the intercoastal. Then navigate the basin over to the okechobee, and on through the locks to perhaps wherever: Not readilly familiar but say Naples, etc. then up to Sarasota? Wouldnt take more than two days? More? You Fl folks let us know! I am sure we could get some support close in to defray costs, and it overall would be a real blast?

What do you think? Ready when you are!
Randy

Cuda
10-04-2003, 11:36 PM
One problem is you would have to make the trip back to wherever you started to get back on the trailer.

tailwind
10-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Wouldnt it be cool? Even with the trailer swap. I bet we could get the swap for under $50 each based on stackin up em in a 53 foot van / 300 miles or so, what do ya think?

Budmann
10-06-2003, 09:39 AM
I have a friend who owns a trailer shipping company. I'm sure we could plan a stacked trailer return. I would definatly be in. Let us not forget South Seas Plantation. We could invade the plantation one evening and all go to the Bubble Room.(Great place). Maybe even go thru the State and then come out Ft. Myers and run down thru the Keys.

Just a thought.

Bud

Budmann
10-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Why not do a lap around half the State. Maybe put in at Syuart,run thru the locks, then down around the Keys and back. or we could run thru the locks, spend the night in Ft. Myers, and come back.

Just my 2 cents.

BUIZILLA
10-06-2003, 06:18 PM
I think there was an article in the October 2003 MotorBoating magazine about this very trip. Also, the SFPBC does a yearly venture as a club event. This club is based out of Pompana Beach now, they used to be based out of Everglades Marina.
Looks like fun... lots of swamp though. Couple good sized locks to work through.

J

Team Hula Girl
10-07-2003, 11:40 AM
You can definitely count me in. The trip across the state can be made in one day easy. The water level is so high right now that they are only operating 3-4 locks. we can stop at Roland Martin's in Okeechobee for gas and then continue. I think the best way to do this is meet at one location and make the run across the state, spend the night at one side and then make the run back over the next day????? This way we don't have to worry about the trailers and tow vehichles.

Saturday morning leave fort meyers after splashing boats around 9 AM. arrive in Lake Okeechobee for lunch and gas refill if necessary. After Lunch we head to Stuart/Palm Beach area and spend the rest of the afternoon at Peanut Island. We should be there by 4 PM we can stay the night at the Sailfish Marina near the inlet. In the morning we do it all over again in opposite direction. It is a very scenic run and mostly freshwater.

John

tailwind
10-08-2003, 12:00 AM
We can do this, and have alot of fun along the way. Realizing this is perhaps new, Personally I would like to get it on, and will.

Anyone else interested, please post your ideas.
Lets see what times are the best, but moreover, lets do it!

Randy

Cuda
10-08-2003, 12:04 AM
I like the over and back idea from Ft Meyers. Roland Martins is a nice place.

tailwind
10-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Sounds pretty cool for the out and back. Also
would provide an excellent platform for a rather complete Florida experience!

tailwind
10-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Additionally, not knowing the intercoastal restrictions, our fuel considerations may be enhanced accordingly - what do you think?

Randy

Team Hula Girl
10-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Just a curious question. Have any of you guys ever boated on lake okeechobee on a small boat? And I am not talking about the edges of the lake either. Have you ever went across the lake? It can get pretty brutal for some boats. Just thought I would throw this thought out there to ponder. The distance to get across the lake is 39 miles one way (direct route)and 50 miles the other way(rim basin route). The total passage from the Downtown Ft Myers area to the intercoastal waterway in St. Lucie is about 120 miles.

John

Donzigo
10-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Another way to approach this would be to simply meet in the middle at the Clewiston Inn on the water for a night and everybody goes back to where they started. I have navigated Big "O", It's a crap shoot on the conditions. It's a shallow lake and can get awesome waves. When you're in the middle you're a long swim or tow from help. (Remembering my 1 hour tow of Last Tango at Rally 2002), which was very short.

Cuda
10-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Does Seatow cover the big O??? :confused: :)

tailwind
10-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Being from MS, I am really fired up folks!

Seems like an incredible response so far, so where do we go? Very shortly, I will be able to verify the route, and also logistics. Will probably go it myself, within the next couple of weeks, letting the rest know of etc.

We are really looking forward to this endeavor, and will keep everyone informed.

Best regards
Randy

BUIZILLA
10-10-2003, 06:52 AM
Randy, if your going from east to west first.. there is a real nice public ramp in Stuart at the west base, on the south side, of the Palm City Bridge. Easy access from the Stuart exit off the turnpike. From that ramp, you proceed a mile or so south into the waterway taking you back towards the turnpike and I-95, and then the waterway parrallels SR76 all the way to the lock at the eastern rim, where SR76 meets SR441. There are several idle zones along the way. From there, you either take the rim canal directly south through Canal Point, Belle Glade and Clewiston to Moore Haven, or you go directly across the big pond to Moore Haven. From there it's across to LaBelle and onwards. I have no clue how to go from west to east however, as far as launching areas go. The Corps of Engineers office in Clewiston can be VERY valuable info. for maps, lock times, bridge closures and routing.

Jim

Tidbart
10-13-2003, 12:46 PM
These should help.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/recreation/index.html

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/recreation/images/maps/owwmap/owwmap.pdf

Lot of good info and maps.

Bob :D

Budmann
10-13-2003, 03:15 PM
I don't care when or where... I'm in! :p :p :p :p :p

Budmann
11-04-2003, 09:59 AM
What happened?? :confused: I hope this isn't a post and drop thing. Let's do this. I will push this at the Palatica trip, as well.

Last Tango
11-04-2003, 06:27 PM
I agree with Budmann. This is way too cool an adventure to just let die away. What is the best time of the year to do this? I would think February would be windy but fun. SOMEBODY take the bull by the horns and pick a date, thow it out there for discussion, and go for it. I personally like the round trip idea going East to West. But then I live on the East coast and it would make a shorter drive form me.
I don't want to burn people out by having to many closely scheduled events event like we did the year before last. We never really got the Suwanee River event off the ground because it was too close to other stuff (and high water) this past year. I would like to try that one again as well.
We'll be doing the SEADOGS at Porkey's (the official headquarters of the SEADOGs)on Sunday of the Palatka event. Also need to remember the Spring event at Mt Dora.
Lots of FUN, looking ahead! While the rest of the Registry is shoveling out, we'll be BOATING! Yeah, buddy!

Cuda
11-04-2003, 10:18 PM
I really would like to stay at Porkeys, that last trip you guys made there sounded like a lot of fun. When I get the Minx running, I'll go anywhere in the state. It will be easy to trailer and launch. I'll do a Suwanne Run this spring guaranteed, even if I do it alone. :D

Budmann
11-05-2003, 07:02 AM
Quit bring up the Suwannee. That's just mean. I think those of you that have been on the Suwannee, know what I'm talking about. WOW!!!!

Team Hula Girl
11-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Alright Donzi Aficionados, here is the date and why.

March 13-14, 2004

I know it seems like a long time away. However, If we have it in March (spring break time) we may get some folks from out of state that wouldn't normally come. They may take some time of because of winter doldrums and the like. The air temp is usually quite warm and the water temp is usually quite cool (relatively speaking). There should be some larger boats making the trek across the state to head back north. (big air opportunity)

Suggestions, input, recomendations?

Cuda will probably have the minx done by then and I will probably have my ZF back from the factory or a new Donzi by then. Who knows, Donzigo might even get his upholstery put in by then. :D

John
Let's hope the water levels remain high!

Team Hula Girl
11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Poodle,

I was unaware of the event in Mt. Dora. Maybe we should move the Okee run up a couple of weeks? Mmaybe we can just set the date while we are at the Palatka event. I am pretty sure that there will be a number of the same participants at both events.

Thoughts?????

John

Budmann
11-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Now that's more like it. :D I love it, when a plan comes together. :D :D :D