PDA

View Full Version : AOTH III Prop Seminar & Testing

Tomahawk
03-26-2003, 11:03 PM
A friend of mine is Engineering Manager at a major propeller manufacturing company. I thought it would be interesting to a lot of us to have a discussion with one of the long time pros in that industry. I asked him if he would come to AOTH III, do some prop basics and Q&A. He agreed and offered to bring a truck full of props for our members to try. Hell yes, says I. So, we're on.
His name is Scott Morgan and he has worked for Precision Propeller, maker of the "Turbo" brand props, for many years. Will lead an early morning discussion Friday morning followed by testing opportunities. Could do it again on Saturday morning if there are some people who would like to do that. Seems like there is always something to learn about props. He may even bring something new that no one, outside of their company, has seen!
He will be joined by Steve McLelland, another industry expert, who is their Marketing Director. While they are a manufacturer, and don't sell to consumers directly, they have agreed that, if you find a prop you just have to have, they will find a way for you to take it home.
You will enjoy talking to a very experienced and knowledgeable pro who is a genuinely nice guy besides. Just one more reason why you should be at AOTH III at the end of May! :D

Fish boy
03-27-2003, 06:09 AM
Tom,
that is unbelievably cool! What a great opportunity. THanks.

Fish

Sam
03-27-2003, 07:26 AM
Sign me up ! I actually have one of their props but it may ned to be repalced due to some recent upgrades. Thanks for your efforts Tom.

Sam wink

<small>[ March 27, 2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Sam ]</small>

Tomahawk
03-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Sam - you might have missed it in the small print. Turbo Props.

Sam
03-27-2003, 07:32 AM
You got that right, I actually just ordered my first pair of glasses last night. Note my correction, thanks again Tom.

Sam :D

roadtrip se
03-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Could a three or four blade 27 or 28 with an XR hub be on the menu?

Professional propeller testers from Texas want to know!

Thanks for putting this together Tom,

Todd

HyperDonzi
03-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Anywhere I can learn anything about props! Rootsty...27" 1.5:1 eek!

boldts
03-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Guys,

I have been running a Turbo since early last summer thanks to both Tom and Big Griz's recommendations. My Classic gained 3 MPH just by changing to a Turbo from a Merc Mirage. The stability of my boat greatly increased also. Interesting thing is, I even dropped the pitch from 23" to 22" and gained speed.

Tom told me he had a prop guy interested in attending AOTH III. When he finally was able to tell me it was Turbo propellers, I was sooooo overjoyed! I am looking forward to meeting both Steve and Scott. Not to mention the opportunity to test and learn more about props. Thank-you Tom very much! :)

BigGrizzly
03-28-2003, 01:03 AM
I know this guy and he gave me better handling and speed. I will say they are the most copied maker in the industry. I can honestly say I was able to beat the Marage plus and Bravo1 both standard and lab finished by at least 2 MPH on the GPS on the same day and same conditions

Dr. Dan
03-28-2003, 05:39 AM
wink Thats very cool guys...........I would be very careful of prop changes in the "super deep water"...just ask Bertram Boy how many of his tools are now on the bottom at Jamestown? eek! Should be a great opportunity...Thanks Tom :cool: ...Doc

Tomahawk
03-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Gentleman - a couple words may be in order here. These guys are coming here to talk about propellers in general. It, most assuredly, will not be a sales pitch for Turbo brand props. Some of us have experienced excellent performance with them on Classic hulls but that doesn't mean they will be best on a Z boat or whatever you are running. Scott (he should feel at home here!) knows a lot about all brands of props. It just so happens that my friend works for Turbo so those are the only props he can bring with him.
I talked to him yesterday and the basic plan is to bring an assortment of their Turbo 1 props which are 14 1/4" diameter. Some of their Vectors in 14 1/2" diameter and their Lightning props which are 14 3/4 diameter. These will fit Bravos, Alphas , TRS, OMC etc. Nothing to fit old Volvos however. Grizz is working on that with Solas.
Todd - Scott remembers talking to you at MBS and said he might make something up special to fit your XR drive.
If anyone would like to look at their web site to see what they have it's www.turbo-props.com (http://www.turbo-props.com) or click here &gt; web page (http://www.turbo-props.com) .

<small>[ March 28, 2003, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Tomahawk ]</small>

GEOO
03-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Hey Tom,
Maybe I'll be able to find a few more MPHss?? wink

Joking...

What a great idea, and opportunity for everyone!!!!

Youngster number two is due in three weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to make the event. First thing's first...

Tomahawk
03-30-2003, 07:21 PM
GEOO - one thing you don't need is more mph! Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family. Has anybody ever explained to you what's causing that? Hope to see you at Lake Cumberland. Should be clear of logs by the time we get there this year. :)

<small>[ March 30, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Tomahawk ]</small>