PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Seadogs - Palatka - Dec 5-7

Greg K
09-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Plans are in the works as I type this post. Working on a block rate for the Holiday Inn in Palatka, FL and will have all info tomorrow and will post as soon as I receive it.

Tentative schedule:
Arrival on Friday Dec. 5th
Saturday Dec. 6th: Run North to Jax.
Sunday Dec. 7th: Run South to Lake George

Crossing fingers for much warmer temps than we had last year, bringing gloves and hats just in case.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/gregkside.jpg

Forrest
09-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Ohhhh, that sounds good. I'll need a break by then. Now, if I can fit that in while our house in on the market (FSBO), which it will be at that time, I'll be happier than a pig in @#$%! At least houses in this neighborhood sell quickly, so that should help.

BTW, has the Supreme Sea Dog blessed this event?

---------------
Forrest

Installing a wood stove on my X-18.

olemissalum
09-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Greg, we have stayed at that Holiday Inn and made the run to the springs and is a great run. Some friends from work just made the same run last week and stayed at Corky Bell's instead and said it was alot nicer than the Holiday Inn, may want to check it out also. Hopefully we can make it also!!!!

BUIZILLA
09-23-2003, 03:41 PM
I'm in with my 18LE

J

gloves are for woosie's...

MikeMiller
09-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Count me in! I'll need a ride, though.

need for speed
09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
As long as i get my boat fixed, i will be there!Leaving pop's at home this time , bringing my donzi girl!

Cuda
09-23-2003, 10:07 PM
What about the place the Seadogs stayed two years ago, that sounded like a fun place. I can't remember the name of it.

smokediver
09-23-2003, 11:03 PM
ok....count me in.. my boat is up and running :D :D :D

bverd
09-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Well... us "northlanders" talked about it during the 19hr drive home and our question is why do you not have it up towards Jacksonville and then run down the river if you want. That would give people an opportunity to run out in the ocean and to St Augustine if they wanted.

The JUNGLE last year left a few things to be desired.

Just curious... starting to practice the anti-cold weather dance for you.

--bverd

CrackerJack
09-24-2003, 05:30 PM
The SeaDogs have stayed at the Holiday Inn in Palatka, Porkey's just north of Lake George and Blair's Jungle Den. The SeaDogs got their start at Porkeys. That is the home of the wild hog burger(Ted's favorite).

knee deep
09-25-2003, 06:42 AM
The old orange monster is afraid to head north but am going to hook her up and make her go. (She used to live up there. Mikey you can have the whole back seat of the ancient 18 if you like:

Punch List:
a) carburetor needs rebuilt (finished)
b) alternator not charging (fixed)
c) reverse lock not working (hmm, who wants to go
backwards in a Donzi?
d) where do you buy gloves in Broward County

BUIZILLA
09-25-2003, 06:55 AM
KneeDeep... your carb needs to be REPLACED, not rebuilt...

J

boxy
09-25-2003, 07:28 AM
knee deep:
The old orange monster is afraid to head north but am going to hook her up and make her go. where do you buy gloves in Broward County Head towards Surfer, hit
Island Water Sports (http://www.islandwatersports.com) , grab some gloves, then head to the Whales Rib for a Key West sandwich, and some cold draft beer.

http://209.137.57.94/iwscam/iwscam.jpg?1064492768099

looks flat today...

J&K SHAHBAS
09-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Were in diaper bag packed and earmuffs for shelby!!

Last Tango
09-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Have no fear, the Supreme SEADOG suggested this event at the Eufaula gathering and Greg K has volunteered to spearhead this great adventure!
Palatka is an excellent mid-point for the weekend. Running north to Jax is easy. Running south to the Glen is easy. Both runs offer entirely different scenic beauty. We don't stay farther north because there really isn't a great motel/ramp/eating situation that suits the SEADOGS needs. I live on this stretch of the river so I have seen what is there. Many venues exist as you go father south. We could do this event every year and not stay at the same place twice. However, the situation at the Holiday Inn is darn near perfect with many restaurants within easy walking distance, major city boat ramp, gas choices. And they host MANY boater events during the year, so they are prepared for us.
I, too, hope the weather is warmer than last year. This time of year is absolutely the best, normally.
See ya'll there!!!!
Mark

Forrest
09-25-2003, 02:13 PM
The Supreme SEADOG has spoken!

So now one and all, go forth and prepare thy Donzi and her passengers for this great event.

Also, don't forget to prepare thy cooler as well.

Tomahawk
09-27-2003, 06:45 AM
Greg - sounds like a good plan. I'll be ready for some R&R by then for sure. Holiday Inn would seem to be a good central location for the trips. Run to Jacksonville should be interesting. We blew by Porkey's last year. Must stop for a burger this year on the run to the south.
Cracker or Tango - what are the parking and accomodations like at Porkey's? The Jungle was a little sucky in that regard. Bar was good though :)

terry
09-27-2003, 07:14 AM
We would be in at "Porky's"... The Holiday Inn left me a little leary after the guys in the parking lot running around selling CRACK. frown

Donzigo
09-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Ted, David & I should be able to bring the 22. Cuda, you bringing the Minx.

Perhaps we could caravan, if you don't drive too fast, Ted. Oh, forgot, the HP600 is in the boat....whew!

terry
09-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Scott, I think I need some of those locking motor mounts :p

Richard, that sounds like a good plan if I can get some time off work on friday!!
Maybe the X-18 will be finished by then!!!
Ted

Last Tango
09-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Parking situation at the Holiday Inn is superior. Large fully paved lot, with several "cul de sac" type slots that are ideal for 3 to 4 boat trailers and tow vehicles. Lots of "swing" room. Multi-lane public ramp right next door. Fixed wooden dock at Holiday Inn has several finger piers. St. Johns river flows north. It is also tidal, so current and direction of flow changes frequently. Dock is perpendicular to the flow. Finger piers are parallel to flow. Bring bumpers and mooring lines if you want to leave your boat in the water on Friday or Saturday night.
Water is fresh. Going north it turns brakish.
From Holiday Inn north to Downtown Jacksonville is 54.3 miles. Several places along the way to eat and gas up. We can eat lunch at the OutBack CrabShack (27 miles north of Palatka) or perhaps even Clarks Fishcamp (40 miles north of Palatka).
From Holiday Inn south to lunch at Porkey's is 31.5 miles. Also plenty of food and gas along the way. Add 7 miles more farther south to get to Silver Glen Springs.
Silver Glen Springs is a State park and alcohol of ANY kind is forbidden. Big fines. But worth the trip and a swim. Awesome time of the year!
Going north, the river is extremely wide with long fetches easy enough to run 20 boats side by side! The heavily wooded banks shade large mansions.
Going south, the river is narrow and very twisty. The channel is very well marked and it is advisable to stay between the markers as there are many sandy shoals between the markers and the shore. The scenery is tropical Florida... Tarzan jungle tropical, and many resort areas. Waaayy coolll!!!!
South of Porkey's (which is the Official Home of the SEADOG's) is wide open Lake George. Georgetown Marina, at the north end of Lake George, has 93 octane and gives a discount to BoatUS members. Silver Glen Springs is about 2/3's of the way down Lake George on its western shore. Always best to go south past marker 10 then turn right and head northwest back to the opening. North of the opening is extremely shallow.
November 30th is officially the end of Hurricane Season (no, Madpoodle, not those 'Canes).
Saturday December 6th will be "Wear your SEADOG's T-shirt day"
Sunday the 7th is Advent day, but it is also Pearl Harbor Day.
Monday is a full moon.

PS
Bverd, I hear your plea! I, too, would like to make such a salty and historic weekend. We can do that in the Spring if you like. This particular weekend is Greg K's call, and he is this event's creator. And Palatka is only one hour south of Jax.
In the Spring is also the first of two yearly major Poker Runs hosted by the Jacksonville Performance Boat Club (the second event of the year was last weekend...same as the Donzi Hometown Gathering which is why I never mentioned it). Perhaps the SEADDOG's could participate in THAT spring event, which includes a run to St. Augustine.

Supreme SEADOG

Team Hula Girl
09-27-2003, 11:50 PM
I am definitely up for this one. However, I might have to bum a ride from someone else. Beer and Gas is on me. I believe I will be boatless at that time. (only time will tell) Who knows, I might even own a classic by then.

John

Air 22
09-28-2003, 08:06 PM
If we stay at a place that doesn't have the following sign in room...

"No live bait in rooms...Do not clean fish in bathroom..." :rolleyes: then maybe a trip south is possible. :D

A paved road to the hotel would be nice too! :D

Brad...we need to work on the SUNSHINE DANCE for such a trip...does Amy know one?

Greg K
09-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Reservation Info

Seadogs at Palatka, Dec. 5-7

Holiday Inn
PALATKA-RIVERFRONT, FL
201 North First Street
PALATKA, FL 32177

Tel: 386-328-3481
Fax: 386-329-9907

Rate: $58 plus tax per night

Reservations need to be made before Nov. 21, 2003.
Contact Sales or Reservations and mention group code 'SDB' for the special rate.
Onsite restaurant and cocktail lounge.
http://images3.ichotelsgroup.com/hotelimages/plkfl/tour/t_svfc_pool_01.jpg
http://images3.ichotelsgroup.com/hotelimages/plkfl/tour/t_prop_extr_01.jpg

BUIZILLA
09-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Is it best to pull the boats both nights rather than fight the dock?

J

Greg K
09-29-2003, 10:13 AM
From my experience at our gatherings, most take out for overnight and drop back in, in the mornings. It's like a ritual we go through.

Tidbart
09-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Hey Buoyboy,

Last Tango said

Going south, the river is narrow and very twisty. The channel is very well marked and it is advisable to stay between the markers as there are many sandy shoals between the markers and the shore. This is not in keeping with your reputation! :p wink :D

Res made, Ranya and I will be there.

I'll bring the balance of the Seadog's Tshirts.

Bob

smokediver
09-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Bob, are you gonna walk off the dock into the water ?

Greg K
09-29-2003, 11:25 AM
Nobody saw any mud or sand flying when
we went south last year..must credit the co-pilot that was with me.. :p

Easier to keep up with a 22 than it is with a 16.. :D

I'd be more worried about these guys...
http://www.riveradventuresinc.com/images/Photos/Scenic/gatoronlog.JPG

Greg K
09-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Plan on a stop at one of longest docks at the Outback Crabshack.
http://www.cutwater.com/special/crabshack.jpg

Air 22
09-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Note to all. Bring a portable dock ring. wink We had lunch here last year and no cleats were found only LARGE PYLONS!! eek! Here's a link to get some... :D

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=40182

Air 22

Budmann
10-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Jodi and I are in! Had a blast last year. Will bring extra jacket for my girl. If sun is up, I'll be fine.

Can't wait!

Budmann and Budwoman

:D :D :D :D

Last Tango
10-02-2003, 07:27 PM
As you can see from the photo above, cleats abound for the first 1400 feet of this 1520 ft long dock. Still no cleats at the very end, but you can tie up to one of those "bumpy logs" also pictured above. Great shot by Greg of this year's lunch stop made by the folks taking the annual tour down the St. Johns River from Mayport to Sanford, FL on their way to show off at the Annual Mt. Dora Wooden Boat Show, a SEADOGS springtime regular event.
Greg! Thanks for the great shots posted on the hotel.
All roads to the hotel are fully paved. No off-road equipment is required.
Pulling out nightly is probably the best. You'll sleep better knowing your baby is just outside your room. This unofficial SEADOG tradition gives us plenty of morning trailer talk and it is fun to caravan to the local ramp of choice. Also gives us the flexibility to alter our launch location, as the crowd may choose.

BUIZILLA
10-02-2003, 07:48 PM
LT, how does that convoy get from Mayport to Dora by vessel?

J

Last Tango
10-02-2003, 08:05 PM
They trailer and put in at Mayport Marine (sponsor marina) and then cruise easy the 20 miles or so to downtown Jax where they spend the night the OMNI hotel with the boats at the city marina at Metropolitan Park - NOT walking distance between each other). Next day they cruise to the Holiday Inn in Palatka with a lunch stop at the OutBack Crabshack (pictured above). Third day they cruise to Lake George to a resort near Georgetown (not Porkey's, though). Fourth day they take the long run to Sanford. There, their tow vehicles and trailers await them (somehow) and they make the 30 mle tow over to Lake Dora, and put in again at the Mt. Dora city park launch ramp where the wooden boat festival is held each year. No navigable water between St. Johhs River and Lake Dora. Lots of swamp, but no deep water. Lakes at Mt. Dora are actually massively large, spring fed, sink holes, miles and miles long. Man made canals (cuts through the swamps) link the lakes together.

Greg K
10-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Just bringing this back to the top as a reminder...

Seadogs at Palatka, Dec. 5-7

Holiday Inn
PALATKA-RIVERFRONT, FL
201 North First Street
PALATKA, FL 32177

Contact Sales or Reservations and mention group code 'SDB' for the special rate.

Tomahawk
10-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Reservations made. See you guys Friday evening.

Stromer
10-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Hey Guys!

It has been a long time since I have been on the board. Hope all are well and your boats are running.

If I can get the time - do you mind a non-sea dog trying this event? Maybee I can become one, I could never make the other events.

I ran the '72 18 2+3 today for the first time since June! I miss her!

Let me know if this parties open to old board guys like me. - Stromer

Stromer
10-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks MadPoodle!

Yes, I checked the boat show schedule too - no shows but...Four WInns is having their annual Sales & Service Training that Sunday thru Tues in Caddilac MI. Brrrr!!!
I am trying to get out of it so I can run my Donzi with you guys.

Stromer
10-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Got the OK from my boss to skip the trip to frozen Cadillac. MI. Looks like I'll be there Friday afternoon. Looking forward to it. Is there a ramp at the Holiday Inn?

Stromer
10-28-2003, 08:07 PM
I'll have the my boat in the water and "beverages" in the cooler! - waitin' for ya!

BUIZILLA
10-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Mad Dog...3:30 is unacceptable :rolleyes:

J

BUIZILLA
10-29-2003, 08:12 PM
I planned on being there by 3:30, not leaving then... :D

J

perhaps you misunderstood...

Budmann
10-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Boat back at the repair shop, for... that's right, the same oil leak. Don't think I will use this guy again. The guy even had the balls to give me **** about having to do work on my boat under warrenty. Oh well, i explained it very clearly to him, again, so I hope to be there with a dry bilge.

Last Tango
11-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Today's St. Johns River weather report: Oh My Gawd, Beautiful!
Went sailing today on a Capri 25. Temperature was in the high 70's to low 80's. Visability unrestricted - lot's of sun. Humidity was well below normal. Winds were out of the North at about 20 knots despite the severe clear skies. Waves on the northern St. Johns between Marker 11 and 17 ranged from 6 inches to 2 feet depending on how close you were to shore and how much fetch. Totally AWESOME sailing day!. But I might have had second thoughts powerboating. I heard the sound of V-8 thunder several times during the day as "sporting" power boats raced down to get a good spot for lunch at the OutBack CrabShack, and a good TV position for the Florida/Georgia game.
Florida won.
Again.
Yessssssss! (Sorry, Lake Lanier Seadogs)
Well not really.
Yessssssss!

Greg K
11-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Now that we are a month away from a weekend on the St. Johns River. I wanted to remind everyone to make their reservations soon, if you plan on attending.

Thanks.

BUIZILLA
11-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Room booked.

For anyone else that calls the hotel, you need to confirm the rate is GOOD for ALL 3 nights. Their computer last night only showed it being good for Friday night. Hopefully they fixed it last night.

J

Greg K
11-06-2003, 09:07 AM
They called me this morning to explain what happened, there was a mistake and the rate should be good for both Fri. & Sat. nights. They will be reconfirming this with me later today. Also as a reminder, ask for the 'SDB' rate.

Last Tango
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Booked my room. See Y'all there!

florida gator
11-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Any SEADOGS coming from the south interested in putting in to the south Friday and running up the river?

Anyone know if the Hoiday Inn still has the Prime Rib Buffet Sat night?

Greg K
11-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Some of you have said you've booked rooms at the Holiday Inn. Please review your reservation to make sure it's booked under the group rate and group 'SDB', so that I may keep track of the rooms we have blocked.
I have myself, Riggle, Lindstrom, Haas, & Keefe so far as having made reservations.
And if you haven't done so, you have till Nov. 21 to get in at the preferred rate.

Info again..
Holiday Inn
PALATKA-RIVERFRONT, FL
201 North First Street
PALATKA, FL 32177

Thanks

pmreed
11-13-2003, 01:21 PM
I'm in, in a smoking room. I'm a non-smoker, but was informed there were no non-smoking rooms left at any price. :( Well, the weather should be nice...I'll just leave the windows open, :)

Phil

Tidbart
11-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey Greg,
Is the itinerary still the same? Heading north on Saturday??
I have a friend in JAX that I am going to try to hook up with.
Hope all is well. See you in a couple of weeks.

Bob and Ranya

Greg K
11-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Yes the schedule will be to run north on Saturday to Jax and with a stops up and perhaps back as well. With the precious daylight we have now, will try ot maximize it along with weather permitting our activities.

Just reminder, do get your reservations made by the Nov. 21

Last Tango
11-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Today's St. Johns River weather report:
Temperature high 70's
Wind calm
Seas calm, river flat to small ripples
Visibility totally unrestricted
Sky clear, ceiling unrestricted, could easily make out the craters on the moon with the naked eye, mid- afternoon
Humidity 65%
93 Octane gas at marina's running from $1.79 up
93 Octane at gas stations running from $1.55 up
Went boating in the 18. Have nice photo of the speedo reading 72+ mph and the tach at 4950 rpm
Speedo has been confirmed several times with GPS. GPS unreliable today due to 3-4 knot current running in. We ran both ways. Same result. Cool!

Met a guy today out boating in his classic Donzi. I don't mean Donzi CLASSIC, I mean CLASSIC Donzi. A 1967 14!!!!! with single row seating, barrel back hull, ROPE in the rub rail!!!, all original DonziMarine name trim, yellow hull. He had his wife and two kids stuffed in the seat with him, and a 140 hp 4cyl in the back. They are excited about coming to Palatka for our event.

See ya'll in Palatka in 3 weeks!

Speed-Racer
11-15-2003, 08:02 PM
How ironic, we (CrackerJack) were just a 100 miles or so South on the same River. A beautiful day it was. We also met a new all red 22zx out on the water, told him about the event, and the registry.(hopefully they'll be in Palatka) Palatka looks to be an awesome event, see you all there!!

CrackerJack
11-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Was out on the south St. Johns today and met another Donzi couple. They had a great looking 21LXR and invited them to the Palatka event.
They already knew about the Donzi Registry.

Greg K
11-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Just another reminder for all that plan on coming to Palatka.
Just one more day left to get the block room rate at the Holiday Inn. Reservation needs to be made before Friday.

Thanks and see ya there.

Greg K
11-20-2003, 01:45 PM
GPS still indicates what speed you're traveling regardless of current or air speed. It's still accurate in telling you your rate of travel on water or land.
I think that was the whole point and not what the boat is really capable of. Which I think everyone agrees on.

Dr. Dan
11-20-2003, 03:15 PM
:D Poodle or Matty who's turn is it to make the Popcorn.........Cliff....bring in some more Beer!!!...Ahhhhh! Winter Posting, ya gotta love it!

:p Doc

Greg K
11-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Winter Posting..70 degrees right now, looking at low 70's thru the weekend (perfect for the red beast) and getting ready for the trip in two weeks.

Dan,
Too bad you already winterized.. :p :D

Dr. Dan
11-20-2003, 09:09 PM
wink Actually I have a conference all week in Atlantic City...that conflicts with this Run...I just took it in today to get it winterized.

:rolleyes: Doc

Greg K
11-20-2003, 09:47 PM
After much thought..I believe Mark in his explanation over the phone has cleared up a few things for me..

terry
11-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Mark is exactly correct, in maritime navagation
it is known as course/speed "made good"
Just like the difference between air speed and ground speed in an aircraft when headwinds or tailwinds are involved.

smokediver
11-22-2003, 06:42 AM
Oh boy ! I hope this is only a little family tiff that will be end in a beer and a laugh ...

Air 22
11-22-2003, 07:57 AM
upon further review.... this posting topic wasn't fun anymore so... away with the down bring in the FUN :D

HP600 nice correction on your post saw your first then the edit... wink

terry
11-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Air22, yea I thoght my explination / edit might clear things up for you :p
I see you have found the edit button as well :)

Air 22
11-22-2003, 08:12 AM
HP 600...

I'm pretty sure I know a little something about GPS Speeds and Navigation...I do it for a living @ 41,000ft. wink Thanx for the help though... :p

Last Tango
11-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Saint Johns River weekend weather report:
Saturday, skies were severe clear, temp in the mid 70's, wind and seas calm.
Sunday, light puffy clouds, temp may reach 80, light wind from the south.

Went for a cruise in the Porsche yesterday, with the top down. Cruised to St. Augustine and watched the official lighting of the city for the Holidays. Great time, awesome weather. The SEADOGs MIGHT want to make a roadtrip to O.C. Smiths Restaurant in St. Augustine on Saturday night, sit up on the balcony overlooking the city and Matanza River and the ocean (Atlantic), and listen to the music of their Jimmy Buffet impersonator. He is REALLY good, and also does all the songs from the group America, and Gordon Lightfoot, and Christopher Cross.

Nice photos of the dock at the Holiday Inn and other boating wonders nearby, in the October/November 2003 issue of Family & Performance Boating magazine, pages 80-82. Also good article on the Radical Boat Reunion in June each year, held at the same hotel.
Ya'll come down now!

Budmann
11-25-2003, 07:52 AM
I'm out! My boat won't be ready in time. Will miss my Donzi folks. I guess I'll just have to make up for it the next time. :( frown

Last Tango
11-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Budmann,
Sorry you can't make it. Maybe you could take the lead on setting up the Suwanee River thing again like we tried last year. Let us know!
Supreme SEADOG

Cuda
11-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Well, work being busier than I have ever been has kept me from completing the Minx engine let alone getting it installed. What I think I'm gonna do is have a new trailer built for the Formula next week and TRY to get the time to make it up there, if there are no objections to letting a Formula hang out with ya! :)

I spoke to a guy at Quickload today that said it I order it Monday, I should have it before Friday. The big boss was off today, so I could't go ahead and cut a deal. frown

Donzigo
11-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Cuda,

Jack at Quickload makes a nice trailer.

Richard

Cuda
11-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Donzigo:
Cuda,

Jack at Quickload makes a nice trailer.

Richard I was there yesterday, but the old man was off. Only the son was there. He told me to call his dad Monday, he could make a better deal. I'm trying to get them to take the one I have in on trade.

I've got his card right here in front of me "Captain Jack Nowling". :)

Greg K
11-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Weather forecast update...much improved from last year... :cool:

Fri Dec 05 AM Clouds / PM Sun 74°/56°
Sat Dec 06 Partly Cloudy 73°/57°
Sun Dec 07 Partly Cloudy 75°/57°

J&K SHAHBAS
11-30-2003, 08:55 AM
Sorry guys, were not going to make it. Work is
outta control out west, have fun and take lots of
pics.

Jbesst
12-01-2003, 05:05 PM
The bags are packed and tow vech. gas'd and loaded,leaving in the AM.Going to spend a few days in St. Pete with the folks.Hope to see y'all on friday.The weather in northern Fla.sounds a lot better than Ohio.Yeah! we get to go boating in December. biggrin.

Cuda
12-01-2003, 07:14 PM
I talked to Jack at Quickload today and told him to hook me up. It's supposed to be done by Friday. Now if I can just get work squared away. It's looking grim at this point. Too damn many places to go. Tomorrow is Orlando and maybe up to Alachua if I have time. Then Port Charlotte Wednesday. West Palm Thursday, and somehow I have to squeeze Winterhaven in too. Not to mention the two jobs in Tampa I have to get done this week. :( :mad:

BUIZILLA
12-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Doesn't look good for me either, at this point. I have to drive from Miami to NJ on Thursday/Friday to pick up the Criterion. I'll try and stop by on the way back Sunday, if time permits.

J

MR MAGOO
12-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Jim,

I am free the rest of the week. If you need the boat hauled south give me a shout.

Kurt 207-232-9273

Forrest
12-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Regrettably, we're out as well due to remodeling two houses and moving to the other side of the 'hood.

---------------
Forrest & Ginny

Last Tango
12-02-2003, 12:05 PM
:mad: Weather report as of today, looks like a repeat of last year. On Friday the temp will be in the mid-70's with sun and widely scattered showers as a cold front passes through the area. Saturday high is scheduled to be 49, with windy conditions and a low in the very low 30's. Slightly better on Sunday.
Bundle up.

Greg K
12-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Just like last year, when you bring a boat from the north we get this kind of weather...leave the Crit there!! :D wink

Prepared for the chill, thank goodness for windshields.

Last Tango
12-03-2003, 07:33 AM
For those who don't have windshields, I recommend bringing a full face racing helmet. Works great.
I talked to MadPoodle this morning and he and Buizilla are going to make the run to NJ to pick up the Criterion. Could be an interesting story for 'Poodle to share when he gets back. They are going to try to make it to Palatka on Sunday morning. I guess the rest of us will have to hold the fort down until then.
If Saturday is real windy, I suggest we reverse our itinerary and head south in protected water to Porkey's for lunch. And then look at going north on Sunday. The north part of the run is more open water and could be rough for the smaller boats. But, I way prefer to run north if we can. More interesting restaurants. Either direction is an awesome run, though.

Stromer
12-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Sorry Donzi Brothers - I have to bail!!!

The offspring are in a big holiday parade (a very big deale for them). My fathering duties call!

Not to mention I was blowing off the Charlotte Co. Boat Show.

I will try again sometime guys. It is hard to work in boating and use MY BOAT!!!

Cuda
12-03-2003, 04:03 PM
It ain't happening for me either. :mad: I've been wanting to make it for three years now. The trailer will be ready, but I'm too stacked up on work to take the time off.

I'm bitter! :mad:

Greg K
12-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Who I know is going to show up in Palatka:

Myself and my son Evan
Mark Albers
Mark Laszlo
Phil Reed
Jack with son Brandon
Jim Besst

Madpoodle & Buizilla are on a quest and roadtrippin to pick up a Crit. Maybe see them on Sunday.

Bob & Ranya??
Smokediver??
Donzigo & David??
Kneedeep??

If I've missed anyone, please reply and we'll know who to look out for.

Thanks and see ya on Friday.

BoatCrazy
12-04-2003, 10:00 AM
If you guys don't care about a "Deckboat" (but's it's a Donzi!) joining you then I may be able to pull myself away from the house remodeling this weekend and come along for the ride. I had such a blast at this years Sarasota get together.

I live and boat in this area (St Augustine) and have actually stayed at Porky's several weekends when I would take my 1996 25ZX from Trout Creek (which is north from Palatka right down the creek from my favorite hang out, The Outback Crabshack) to Lake George /Silver Glen. The St. Johns River is a great place to go boating whether you head North or South.

So, if ya'll don't mind me tagging along I would love to join in the get together.

Greg K
12-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Come on down, it'll be a good time, we'll be easily found at the Holiday Inn in Palatka on the river.

CDMA
12-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Donzi deck boats are bad A$$

Chris

Something else I need with a blown 502...

BoatCrazy
12-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Chris,

Thank you for your compliment.

I was told that there is a guy that lives in Jacksonville, Florida that has mounted a Whipple Supercharger on his Mercruiser 377 Scorpion engine and installed it in his Z23 Deckboat and is running close to 80MPH. Do not have proof but I spoke with a gentleman from a local Donzi boat dealership in Jacksonville after they finished the installation of the new motor setup. WOW!

CDMA
12-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Even cooler with the optional built in blender... wink wink wink

Chris

Last Tango
12-04-2003, 03:28 PM
I heard the same story from the guys at Haskell Marine (Donzi Dealer in Jax), but haven't seen the boat on the river. Was it the Donzi deck boat?

BoatCrazy
12-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Mark,

That is where I heard about the boat as well and yes it was a Deckboat, I think he said it was a yellow and white 2000. I was told that the guy keeps the boat on the intracoastal somewhere south of Jacksonville. I would love to meet up with the guy and ask for a ride in her but then again I think it would probably make me spend more money so........... I will try to find out more info.

Last Tango
12-04-2003, 06:33 PM
BoatCrazy,
Bring your Z23. We'll launch it in Palatka, leave all the other boats on the trailer, and all huddle up together on YOUR boat for the run up to the CrabShack. :cool:

Speed-Racer
12-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Alright the weather has changed again, and this is likly to be the temperature :cool:
Saturday- Sunny-High of 60
Sunday - Sunny High of 62

Better than earlier this week, and last year, but still not the 70's :p

terry
12-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Brandon, COOL avitar!!

Cuda
12-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Now I'm really getting sick! Jack called from Quickload today. The trailer is ready. I don't even have time to pick it up tomorrow. I have to be in Alachua in the am. :( Drove Tampa to Pt Charlotte to Winter Haven, back home to Clearwater today. :( :rolleyes:

Last Tango
12-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Well, you folks really missed an adventure this weekend!
Friday afternoon, I arrived at the Holiday Inn with my C18 and MarkAlbers had just pulled in with his C22. Shortly after that, Greg and Evan arrived from North Carolina with his C22 (Rosso). Then Pmreed with his C22. Finally, Tidbart and Ranya arrived sans boat but ready to play. Madpoole and Jim were already headed north into the big blizzard to fetch the Criterion in NJ, so they were out for the weekend.
Friday night, we walked across the street to Angels Diner and had a specatular cheeseburger and shake.
Saturday morning, Jack and Brandon (Speed Racer) Keefe arrived with their C16. We also has a surprise visit from Jim and his wife from Columbus, Ohio, Midwest Donzi Club members) who had towed their 13' Boston Whaler to Tampa and were headed back and decided to meet us there.
Yes it was cold and windy. No it didn't rain. Wasn't even very cloudy. Exciting run from Palatka, 55 miles north to Downtown Jacksonville, where we then took a nice tour of the downtown by boat. Then we stopped at the Jacksonville Landing and went up to the second floor to the American Cafe and sat out on the sunny and warm balcony overlooking the river and our boats tied up below and just ate and drank and laughed and toasted up in the sunshine. Then back to Palatka after a quick splash and go for gas for everyone at Mandarin Holiday Marina (still the cheapest 93 Octane on the entire river).
Saturday night we all met up at the bar in the Holiday for drinks and to watch the videos that Jack had taken that day. Oh, yeah!!!! Then we strolled into the restaurant and enjoyed the All You Can Eat Pasta Specials being served that evening, with complimentary glass of wine, and desert for those who could still find room in their stomachs after the feast.
Sunday morning the dew had settled on the boat covers and froze. But, the clear skies filled with sunshine melted that quickly and it evapoated completely before we finished breakfast. We launched and headed south, all the way down to Silver Glen Springs on Lake George. We boated up to the headwaters of the spring, floated silently along together, and enjoyed the warm water, sunshine, and warm air for a bit. Also watched an alligator and a large turtle share a shoreline log for sunbathing. Then we fired up and headed back to Palatka - some of us sooner, some of us later, but all safe and sound. :)

pmreed
12-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Tango was kind not to mention that he had to give me a tow due to an overheating engine. Can't say always the tower, never the towee anymore. When we finally pulled the boat, eel grass stuck in the intake. Nuts :( . Other than that, a great weekend. Thanks also to Crackerjack and Speedracer for their company and help recovering the boat in the dark.

Bob and Ranya rode with me, until Ranya decided it was her turn to drive. She did great, :) and I expect to see some great pics of her at the wheel.

Thanks Greg for putting this outing together, it was a blast. And thanks for the Poodle updates as he braved the snowstorm up north. I'm sure he's more convinced than ever that North of Miami is too North.

Phil :D :D

Last Tango
12-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Interestingly, I found a small piece of eel grass sticking out of one of the small lower intake holes on the drive. Pulled right out. So I checked my sea strainer and found several long pieces. Glad I didn't suck THOSE into the engine. Must have been at the entrance to Silver Glen Springs where the water was shallow and the grass was high... "Summerrrr time, and the living is easy. Fish were jumpin', and the eel grass was high..." :D

Greg K
12-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Great time despite the chilly weather. The run north to Jax was great and so was the one south. Wish we could have spent more time there. What a great place to be running the Donzi!!
We missed many of the other Seadogs and others who could not make it. I also want to thank those who did make it and braving the weather for making it another enjoyable trip. :D

CrackerJack
12-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Picture of the day on Sunday.
Greg and Mark on Lake George, taken by Brandon.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/bigred.jpg

boldts
12-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Boy, all those upgrades are really paying off! The Red Head likes to run doesn't she :D Thanks Brandon! Any more? Pictures like that help warm the bones up here in the Midwest :)

CrackerJack
12-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Scott, check out the post Palatka...03.

boldts
12-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks Jack. I'm all over it! Usually save the main board for last because of the massive content :)