PDA

View Full Version : World Championships Moved

Greg K
09-16-2003, 06:48 PM
APBA Worlds Update (http://www.apbaoffshore.com/news.cfm?ID=472&Action=view)

Cuda
09-16-2003, 06:53 PM
I can't believe these yahoos can't get it together. You would think they would have everything lined up a year ahead of time. Oh well, at least they haven't canceled my hometown races..................yet! :mad:

CDMA
09-16-2003, 07:41 PM
BULL S$#%

Chris

Air 22
09-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Damn...I wanted sun and coconut palms w/ my Magarita watch'n them big boyz haul ass... :D

Tidbart
09-16-2003, 08:18 PM
What about the nationals in St Pete in October?
Haven't heard anyone mention these upcoming races. Last year they were in the Bahamas and everyone bitched. Now they are in St Pete and noone has said a word. :confused:

BUIZILLA
09-16-2003, 09:03 PM
It appears to me, that Mr. Mills decided to not play nice, and follow accepted protocol. Perhaps, he intended to derail/hijack the event without paying a dime in fee's, and then try and scoop the players himself, thinking the APBA had no backup venue, if he waited until the last minute. Fool, he was. Hence, the late decision to move by APBA.

While i'm not particularly happy to see the event move so far away, I wholeheartedly agree with the APBA decision. Let's hope the racers see the situation, for what it really is. Kinda reminds me of USAC/CART/IRL squabbles.

J

Cuda
09-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Tidbart:
What about the nationals in St Pete in October?
Haven't heard anyone mention these upcoming races. Last year they were in the Bahamas and everyone bitched. Now they are in St Pete and noone has said a word. :confused: The St Pete races are still on, but it has undergone some changes too. Originally, it was going to be run out of Tampa, and along the Freedon Trail Bridge (the old Gandy Bridge). That would have been great for the spectators.

Now it has been moved back to St Pete off the Pier. Apparently, GMC has flexed some muscle. They liked the crowd they got the last time it was there as far as showing off their products.

GeneD
09-24-2003, 06:18 PM
For those of you who do not surf the APBA website, it might interest you to read the explaination of why the Worlds have been moved.
It's a new venue for us in Alabama but one that apparently is necessary.
http://www.apbaoffshore.com/news.cfm?ID=474&Action=view
Tidbart: We all agreed, with the exception of Dave Pyc wink , that the race in the Bahamas was the best race we have ever been to. In spite of the fact that the Bahamian taxi cabs were ripoffs, it was a wonderful place and we were treated with the upmost kindness and respect.
The race in Tampa was moved to St. Petersburg not because of GM, but because Tampa didn't think they wanted to bother. It was mutually agreed that the City of St. Peterburg could have the race with no hard feelings.
Hey, both Cuda and I feel this race to be our hometown race, we're not going to argue. The changes made to the race course will be beneficial to all in order to watch the race from many vantage points.
When talking about the race sanctions and how screwed up they may appear to be, it's important to remember that there is an awful lot that goes into producing a race. When these change of venues happen, and we all know how many times this has happened recently, it may be a source of aggravation to the fans, but can you imagine the logistics that each race team has to go through in order to get the team and equipment to the races? We have already made our reservations and made plans to attend Key West. So we're put out too. We have no choice but to go to Alabama. We are assured that we'll be well taken care of, but it's no Key West that's for sure.
If all the Donzi dudes are going to the keys anyway, we'll miss you and I hope you all have a great time. It's always a good time when Donzi owners get together.

Gene Drago
Crew Chief
Zero Cavity Offshore Racing
P4-1 2002 Nat'l and World Champions