PDA

View Full Version : Suwannee Update

Cuda
03-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Debbie's daughter and her husband just came down this morning, she lives up near the river. They told me the river is flooding already, and isn't expected to crest for two more weeks. Some of the boat launches are already unaccessible. I remember back in 97, you would run into the river a couple miles before you got to Purvis Landing. (found out the hard way at night at 50mph). Also, when the river is flooding there are LOTS of BIG logs and pieces of dock floating or partially submerged. I'll keep us updated.

I may go up next weekend to go turkey hunting and get a first hand look at it.

<small>[ March 15, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Cuda ]</small>

Forrest
03-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Flooded North Florida rivers = lots of junk in the water. Providing that we don't get any more major rain :rolleyes: , it may flush out by next month.

Budmann
03-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Yea, Forest, that's what I'm hoping for. That would @$#% for the River to be to high to boay!

Cuda
03-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Some of the people near Old Town are already having to take boats to their houses.

Cuda
03-17-2003, 03:40 PM
I was there three weeks ago and took pictures of the nearby boat launches.

This is Anderson boat launch. It is at the foot of the Hwy 19 bridge on the north side of the river, across from Fanning Springs Park. It's a nice ramp with lot's of parking, but the current is pretty strong there and there's no place to mill about waiting for other boats to launch, unless we crossed the river to the park, I think there is a place there we could use for a staging area.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffanderson.jpg

Cuda
03-17-2003, 03:45 PM
This is John O Green launch, formely known as Hinton Landing. The ramp is good, but no dock at it. There is a good amount of parking, and the best thing is the fact it is on a canal just off the river and there is no current there. This would be my choice.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffjgreen.jpg

Cuda
03-17-2003, 03:52 PM
This is behind the Suwannee Gables Motel. It's a good ramp, but again, strong current. There is also a long dock that several boats could tie up to. They will let you use the launch for a fee if you're not staying there. There is also plenty of parking and a nice covered picnic area there.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffsgables.jpg

Cuda
03-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Dock at Suwannee Gables.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffdock.jpg

Cuda
03-17-2003, 04:20 PM
This is Clay Landing. I think this one is the closest to Cheifland and the Holiday Inn. Again there is current in the river, and parking is ok. It is about 7 miles from US 19 in Cheifland to the launch.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffclay.jpg

Forrest
03-17-2003, 04:22 PM
I would like to see those same views as of today. I bet the water is up to the top of those ramps now. More rain again this afternoon and they are calling for more during the week.

Cuda
03-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I'm sure every bit of the ramps are under water now. They said it's about 5 feet lower now than it was in 97 and still rising 6 inches/24 hours.

Budmann
03-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Cuda, Clay landing ramp is the one that we all use.There is very little current, and its close to the Holiday Inn Express. The Suwannee Gables ramp SUCKS! If you have ever launched a I/O there, the ramp falls off on the right side and its a B@##$ to get your boat on streight. If you get a chance to get back up there and get a updated pic of the River that would really help. Oh... Great shots of the Ramps!

Thanks again Cuda, for being the Registry's eyes and ears for this trip.

Bud Staples

florida gator
03-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Not sure of the Suwannee, but I am near the Withlacoochee and parts of it is idle only due to the flooding.

Cuda
03-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Budman, how far is it from Clay Landing to the bridge? I've never run it before.

Budmann
03-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Cuda, If your refering to the bridge being the U.S.19 North bridge right off Fanning Park, its about 20min run. Real nice and windy with WFO throttle usage! I hear from my friends that the whole River is no wake due to the flooding. We may be forced to put the trip off a few more weeks till the River has a chance to settle. The Springs are black when the water level is high, so its kindof a waste of time to go.

Try to keep us posted on the water level.

Cuda
03-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Budman, have you ever been down to the mouth of the river at the town of Suwannee? Even when the river is flooded, it doesn't flood down there, it just runs off in the gulf. I used to keep a travel trailer at one of the fish camps there for a couple of years. Beautiful down that way.

Budmann
03-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Yea, we used to go the first day and run South from Fanning. We stopped doing that because there were no springs to speak of. We have a bunch of kids in our group that like to stop and play in the springs. Spoke with some people yesterday that think if the River starts going down like they say it is, we should be o.k. for the 12th. I guess we just keep our fingers crossed, and hope for the best.

Budmann
04-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Cuda, Have not heard from you in a while. Just letting you know that we are all coming up this weekend. Will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Understand that the River is still up but we are all dieing for a Suwannee Trip. If you deceide to go up, call my cell 727-410-2057.

florida gator
04-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Any idea what the agenda is yet? I cann't do the weekend but I am close enought hat I may be able to pull off a day trip one day.

Forrest
04-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Sorry folks, but we're not goin to be able to make it this time. Too darn much stuff going for the kid to handle both this and next month.

Have a great time!

Budmann
04-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Florida Gator, Arriving on Friday the 11th @ Holiday Inn Express. Go have dinner and cocktails and turn in for a GREAT weekend on the River. Cell coverage is ify, so best to call before we get on the River. Would love to have ya.

Budmann
04-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Sorry everyone... the River is still too high. Looks like a trip to South Seas Plantation for some Bubble Bread and Pool bars @ Captiva Island. Not a bad second choice. Have five boats going so far, so if anyone else would like to join us, we are firing up at 9:00 A.M. on Sat. and will be departing on Sunday, right after Cheeseburgers at Eusepa Island.

florida gator
04-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Man that trip sounds great. Hopefully you guys will do it again as I can not get away for the whole weekend this week. I am planning a run toCedar Key for dinner soon. If anyone is interested I can get deals on accomodations in Crystal River and do some entertaining for a weekend. Hope to hook up in the St Pete area soon.

Team Hula Girl
04-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Budman, I am leaving on Thursday at about noon and headed south with the big boat. (not taking the donzi) We are going to stop at Tween waters on thursday night in Captiva and then on down to Ft Myers for Fri/Sat night. Give me a call on my cell phone if you guys are out on Sunday. We are going to be headed back early maybe we will stop at Egmont.

John
813-363-0011