PDA

View Full Version : Lake George Donzi Classic Club Fall Picnic

FASTEDDIE
08-05-2003, 08:07 PM
The Lake George Donzi Classic Club Fall Picnic will be held on Saturday ,September 6th ,2003. Please bring the whole family,garbage bags , charcoal ,GPS ,fishing pole & bathing suit.
We will have a keg , cookers on the island ,bring your speciality dish to share and your favorite Chili dish. Share rides in other Donzi's and take a ride in that model you want to get next. Starts at 12 Noon but go early and cook breakfast on the Island. It will be held on Speaker Heck Island on the southern tip of Long Island in Southern Lake George basin. Use docks numbered 1 thru 10 on East side and docks 52 thru 34 on West side. Drinks welcoming quests on Friday night at 7 PM at the Algonquin Bar. Lake tour on Sunday at 10:30 AM. Meet off Sagamore Resort South docks at that time. We recommend the Treasurecove Motel.Call for reservations at 518-668-5334 or see their website at www.treasurecoveresort.com (http://www.treasurecoveresort.com) If you plan to attend , please sign on below.[/URL] :D :D :D

mattyboy
08-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Hey Eddie,
I hear we might be serving a screaming chicken dish this year :p wink :D
reservations made can't wait, Marie,me and the kiddies

Matty

CDMA
08-06-2003, 10:32 PM
I can't make it. :( :( :(

Chris

GEOO
08-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Sound's great Ed, I'm working on getting the family up there!!!

Dr. Dan
08-21-2003, 10:24 PM
:cool: :D wink :p :rolleyes: :cool:

Zinger
08-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Does anyone have some different propellers to try at this event on my 18 ft classic alpha drive besides a mirage plus 23 or 21 pitch.Thanks Jeff

FASTEDDIE
08-30-2003, 08:35 AM
One week to go until the picnic. Come and meet the Donzi celebraties such as Scott Pierson,non poster ,and see his new 1971 Donzi 18 Classic. Get his autograph free. Meet Mattyboy, who now holds a world posting record for posting on donzi.net because he has no life. Get his autograph free. Come in no fear of being hassled by Madpoodle or CDMA as they can not make it. So far 3 people signed up, last year we had 100 people. Does that mean 97% of our club is computer illiterate? Doctor Dan will be giving free physicals to all the ladies , with or without hospitalization cards. Please sign up below because I must reserve a dock for your boat from the State Of New York Parks Dept. eek!

Walt. H.
08-30-2003, 09:12 AM
F.E.
I can't make it, i'm missing an important ingredient.
:( That Doc, D. reminded me of. :o

Still working on all three,
Walt. :D

Dr. Dan
08-30-2003, 11:10 AM
:D Sign us up for a dock away from the theiving NewYorker........ wink

mattyboy
08-30-2003, 11:41 AM
well I think I'm going,they have a internet connection on the island right FastEddie??? wink :D
count me in , the family and the 16
can't wait cya all there

Matty
you thought I posted alot before i just got a cable modem eek! :p wink :D

mattyboy
08-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Matty,
just checking in still don't have a life
:rolleyes: :p

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-30-2003, 08:05 PM
I do believe I'll be there. Like Matty Boy, I don't have a life either, but I do have a Donzi now.
Stupid question time: Is there a fee for the picnic? Where's the best place to launch?

FR :p

penbroke
08-30-2003, 09:15 PM
FASTEDDIE: What's the cutoff date for reservations? I won't know if I can make it 'till the last...

Frank
Freedom inhibited by construction. :) :( :mad:

FASTEDDIE
08-31-2003, 05:12 AM
Yes,just reimburse the club $10.00 for your dock spot.

mattyboy
09-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Come On people FastEddie deserves an answer on this , post up if you are going!

Matty

penbroke
09-02-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm confused by the whole reservations by July 4 thing which seems to have disappeared.

Is this event open to all?? :confused:

Frank
Changing oil in anticipation.

FASTEDDIE
09-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Flatracer,
If your staying at a motel,Treasure cove resort has a free launch ramp. See website for details www.treasurecoveresort.com (http://www.treasurecoveresort.com)
Other wise most launchs are usually about $20.00 for in and out. Lake George sticker required for your boat.About $30.00 for the season,cheaper for the weekend but you will be checked for it by the Lake George Patrol.Free launch site at southern end of Lake at Million dollar beach in village of Lake George on Beach Road. Best launch is Norwal Marina in Bolton Landing. Follow 9N into Bolton Landing , turn right at Topps Supermarket and take your first left. Nice launch ramp, parking for car and trailer plus they sell required sticker and they have a fine store with all the goodies such as ice,fuel, and marine accessories. They are a little pricey for car & trailer parking(Daily charge for car and boat). State launch & parking for car and trailer are free in village of Lake George at Million Dollar Beach but no sticker,ice or anything else. Cheapest way,come early Friday by 5PM and drive up route 9N to Chics Marina in Bolton. Buy sticker for boat,park boat back at motel and disconnect,come right back to Chics because cocktail party is next store at Algonquin at 7 PM.
Launch Saturday morning in the village. Same for Sunday morning.

penbroke
09-02-2003, 09:13 PM
MadPoodle,
Thanks for the offer and I'm sorry to hear you are not going to make it. I was looking forward to giving you a ride this time. Thats 2 I owe ya now (at least).

I likely won't know if I can go 'till Friday morning so if someone else needs the slip don't wait on me. I'll just have to take my chances.

Frank
Not quite weather tight. :rolleyes:

JWCall
09-02-2003, 09:20 PM
I plan on going. I just got done putting in a new motor after I blew the last one at the Dustoff. It ended up that the camshaft broke. Now its all back together and ready for some fun.

daboys
09-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Looking forward to the event, I have been admireing the 16 - 22 foot Donzi's on the lake all summer. Would love to trade a ride in one for a ride on my ZXO.

09-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the info Eddie. I'll be staying at my folks' house on Lake Bomoseen, but we'll be up bright and early to trailer over Saturday morning. What time does everyone get to the island?

FASTEDDIE
09-03-2003, 07:56 PM
We have the docks rented for all daylight hours. On the East side use Docks numbered from #1 TO 10 and on the West side use docks numbered 51 thru 34. Come out early and cook breakfast at Sun up. Dock #52 is reserved for the Pres to drag all the gear into the party. Weather for this weekend is 75 degrees and Sunny for both Saturday and Sunday. Its gonna be a blast.

mattyboy
09-03-2003, 09:37 PM
BTW
Eddie my agent said no freebies on the autographs
but I will pose for pics with the attendees at the algonquin on friday night between 7:00 and 7:05 :p wink :D

Matty

mattyboy
09-05-2003, 05:44 AM
on the road as we speak, can't wait to see every one, hey this new mobile web link works great sittin here driving at 65mph and surfing at 115kbps... hey stay the !@#$% in your lane lady,where'd you learn how to drive Stevie Wonders driving school!! OOOpps eek! sorry now where were we!!! :p wink :D

Matty

BERTRAM BOY
09-05-2003, 06:21 AM
See you all in awhile...

MikeMiller
09-05-2003, 03:20 PM
I hope EVERYONE has the time of their lives!!!

Fasteddie... knock 'em dead.

09-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Well guys, I tried. Really, I did. Just north of Newburg I blew a wheel bearing on the trailer. Chris was nice enough to stop and offer assistance as the barrelback was being winched up onto the flatbed. Nice to meet you Chris. Too bad it wasn't under better circumstances.
The place it was towed to is not promising any speedy service (looks like I just need a hub and bearings), so there's no way I can get to L.G. at any kind of decent hour. So, my weekend's blown.

:mad: :mad: I am really, really, really, pissed. :mad: :mad:

I may try to salvage the weekend by dropping it in at Greenwood Lake tomorrow, if they get it finished at a reasonable hour.
Nobody can possibly be sorrier than I am that I'm not there with you guys. I was really looking foward to meeting everyone.
I guess I'll have to wait til the spring. God, that's sooooo far off.
Anyway, have fun, be safe and take lots of pictures to post so I can once again live vicariously through the forum.

Sorry,
FR (aka idiot) :( :( :( frown

BUIZILLA
09-05-2003, 07:48 PM
FR, if there is a Super Wal Mart near where your at, they sell hub kits in the marine section of the sporting goods dept. I had a problem 2 years ago on I-75 in North Georgia on a Sunday night, found a WM, and viola, in 2 hours I was on my way. Buy some grease too. Loews, Tractor Supply and ALL marine supply stores stock them as well.

J

FASTEDDIE
09-06-2003, 08:38 AM
Flatracer,
Get your ass in gear and get going. You can make it. Think positive and get the job done. Plenty of weekend activity for you to join even if your a few hours late.78 and Sunny, just ready to pull out.

Walt. H.
09-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Flat Racer,
I can offer you a ride again, this time to get parts if the place is taking to long. I'll come and get you help, i'm approx, 1/2 hr north of Newburgh.And if your north of that then your near New Paltz, thats only 15 min,s from me.
my Ph.#(845) 687-7448 you don't need to dial the area code. Or just go to "Congelosi Trailer sales" they are very near Newburg and have a very large shop and parts supply. 2201 Rt.17K Montgomery, NY. (845)361-2246
Are you stuck at a motel right now with a lap top or a Hi tech phone with e-mail capacity, how are you posting this?

Best of Luck,
Walt.

Ps. if near New Paltz then go to Campers Barn
Rt.28 Kingston, ph.# 338-8200
just off the Kingston traffic circle exit 19

worse scenario= I can just pull the wheel/hub assemble off my trailer for you,its not currently in use.

penbroke
09-06-2003, 09:06 PM
A BIG THANK YOU to FastEddie and everyone else who helped to make the Fall Picnic a great time for all. I counted about 28 Donzis but I may have missed a couple. The weather was perfect. Mid 70s and sunny and should be the same for the lake tour tomorrow. It was my first event with my boat and I won't miss another if I can help it.

Frank
Back to renovations tomorrow.

p.s. FlatRacer made it! He pulled up to the island about 4:00.

09-07-2003, 08:26 PM
Buizilla, and Walt H:

Thanks for the advice, encouragement and offers of help. I really appreciate it. I mean it.
Here's how it panned out:

I drove home to S.I. friday night disgusted, and posted my tale of woe here. After reading Buizilla's post, I did a search for WalMart Super Centers and found one in Fishkill, about 6 mi. from where the boat was towed.
Saturday morning I got up about 5am, and high tailed it up to Fishkill (on no sleep, by the way) with visions of replacing the hub and making it to L.G. early in my head.
WalMart had bearings, but no hub. So, I was back to waiting for the repair shop to open at 9am. Shortly after nine, the repair shop owner took off with my busted hub and set out to find a replacement in Newburgh, but came back two hours later empty-handed save for a set of Bearing Buddies.
He said nobody in town had four bolt hubs, but he called Congelosi Trailer Sales and they have a hub. To save money, he had me drive over and pick it up. In Montgomery there was a parade, so that slowed my return quite a bit.
12:15 I return with the hub. Half hour later, everything's done.
The bill........... now get this,....... he used the bearings I bought at WalMart, and the hub I bought at Congelosi's...............all he supplied was labor, grease and a $20 set of Bearing Buddies. The f@#king bill was $260.00!!!!! AND to top it off, he wouldn't take a credit card! I had to go to an ATM and get cash! :mad: What a prick! :mad:

Anyway, I made it to Lake George about 3:30 and dumped in. Couldn't get the power tilt to work, had to jump on the outdrive like a fool. Finally got it down by giving it some throttle in foward.
When I test drove the boat in Michigan it ran great, but when we pulled it out there was a big crack in the prop. No problem, I just put on the spare that came with the boat. Yesterday I found out why that prop was the spare! Bad vibration. So I never got a chance to zip around in my boat.
There was one consolation prize though, Dad and I got a ride in a 22. Nice boat! We got to see CDMA trying to wake board behind GEOO's boat with all the spray from the Arneson! That was amusing to watch. I met Frank Penbroke, Scott Pearson, Matty Boy (briefly, I think he was on his way to a beer run :D ), Fast Eddie, and some others who's names, regretably, I can't remember (apologies; my brain was fried by then).

Thanks all for your help and encouragement.

Walt. H.
09-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Hey Eric,
$260.00 cash only eek! :mad: eek! I hope you got a receipt, Was he also the guy that flat bedded your boat & trailer off the thruway? I know about two yr's ago they w'ere getting about $90.00 just to winch anything onto the roll-off then its so much per mile.
But even still its way over the $48-$56.00 average hourly rate. Sorry to hear it was that much. Whats the name of the business and where is he located, so I can help spread the word around about your exprerience to my fellow co-workers and friends. First off if he's the business that towed you off the thruway, I would contact the NYS. Thruway Authority and file a complaint with them for allowing an authorized agent to perform an unethical business practice.If he's a secondary shop you w'ere towed to, then he should not be on there list of approved repair shops for cars/veh. being towed off the NYS Thruway to be brought to. He should be removed and that will cut his income where he'll feel it! wink

Your the second fellow posting to be ripped off recently here I believe by a repair shop. I guess some people think if you own a Donzi you must be rich. So you get special pricing.
Well?????? = I think for those that buy new its true. wink

Ps. How's your axle spindle after all that heat and did the bearing race spin on it?

Better luck next time,

Walt.

B = break
O = out
A = another
T = thousand

09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Walt:

The tow was only $72. I have no complaints about that.
The shop was called "Dennis'". It's a combination repair shop, used car lot, and car rental place on route 17K just east of the Ford dealership. It was a gas station at one time, but the pumps are long since dormant (infer what you like from that). The mechanics were cool, but Dennis was an asshole. Tell your family, friends, and neighbors to avoid that shop like the plague!

P.S. The spindle was okay, but I'm eventually gonna get a new trailer anyway. It's the original Rocket trailer. It carries the boat up too high, the frame is unneccessarily heavy, and the axle looks a little too light duty to my eye. Although, I have to say it feels okay behind the car below 70 mph, I'd still rather have something lighter and lower slung with tandem axles like my flatbottom trailer.

Walt. H.
09-09-2003, 03:45 AM
Copy on the guy being a A___Hole! I never heard of the place but i'll see what I can find out. I guess he charged you for the unsucessful 2-hr hub search he went on, that stinks.
But time is money.

I have one neighbor that I would like to see being Dennis's customer! :D

Besides contacting the Thruway Authority also file a complaint with consumer affairs in Orange county.

I'm glad all else worked out for ya.

Walt,