PDA

View Full Version : Seadogs

Cuda
05-14-2002, 06:41 PM
Haven't heard anything from them lately. Isn't it time for them to rear their ugly heads? :D eek! Another trip to Georgetown? :confused:

CrackerJack
05-14-2002, 07:54 PM
Was up at Porky's place several weeks ago and the
ramp was bad for launching. The water levels are real low.

Cuda
05-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Maybe the rain this weekend helped it come up.

Last Tango
05-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Cuda,
The BEST way to attend a SEADOG event, conveniently, is to just offer one up. You know, just pick a place with water where we can launch and a place to stay for out-of-towners, and throw it up here in this thread. Then we'll do our usual hemming and hawwing and magically we will all agree to do something fun and off we will go. How about something in YOUR neck of the woods?
I would love to host an event up here again. I would like it to be at the Holiday Inn in Palatka. Why Palatka? Hotel is on the water. City ramp is next door. We can boat down to Lake George and back. I can take us all down on the Tango Maru. We can still party at Porkey's and spend an evening, then motor back to Palatka. Those who need a designated driver can ride the Tango Maru.
Also, although Porkey's may be having trouble with their ramp, there is also a ramp at Georgetown Marina. So ramp is not an issue.
How about we put the boats in someplace up by my house, leave the tow vehicles and trailers safely at a location here, run to Porkey's by boat, spend one or two nights at Porkey's and Silver Glenn Springs, then run back to my place to haul out. Lots a options.
Still Porkey's as a single venue is still the best idea.
Here is some helpful info:
Porkey's Landing (386) 467-2310
Georgetown Marina (386) 467-2002

I'll post the Holiday Inn in Palatka number late when I get home.
All About Boats is also interested in hosting another Donzi Gathering. They would like to do that in either St. Augustine or Jacksonville. I'll check with Bob Witty to see what his current desires are. They just opened a new location in Jax.

Supreme SEADOG,
Mark :cool:

Laidback
05-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Tango,

I recently bought a 96 C22. I would like to meet some of the local Donzi guys and hopefully gals. I live in Jax, but keep my boat at my parent's river house. Its near Racy Point on SR 13 about 10 miles north of SR 207. Palatka is just a skip over.

Cuda
05-21-2002, 06:53 AM
LT, I will look for a place down our way that is suitable. Do you think some people would be opposed to salt water? Another thought I have is to go to the Suwannee River. I used to keep a place at the town of Suwannee, which is at the mouth of the Suwannee River. There are several small fish camps there that have rooms and covered slips for reasonable prices. The Suwannee has some of the most beautiful stretches of water I have ever been on. There are destinations we could run to for day trips, such as Manatee Springs State Park, and Fanning Springs Park. The last 20 miles of the river runs through a National Wildlife Refuge, and is untouched by developement. The town of Suwannee is 24 miles west of US 19 on SR 351. The only drawbacks are it isn't close to anybody, and after 10 pm when Salt Creek Restaurant closes, it is 30 miles to the nearest bar. The place I stayed is called Angler's Resort. They have a boat launch there, covered slips, fuel, and a diner is right next door. Other places are Miller's Marina, Bill's Fish Camp, and Sterling's Suwannee Marina.

Forrest
05-21-2002, 04:54 PM
The Suwannee River sounds great! Anywhere from Fanning Springs to the town of Suwannee will work.

Lets see, there is the Cadillac Motel on US 19 in Fanning Springs - nice pink and green neon trim and color TV in every room. It's usually booked on major holidays by other boating groups, but???

Cuda
05-21-2002, 05:19 PM
We may end up going up this weekend. My girlfriend is from up there, and we need to go up and see her family anyway. While we are up there, (if we go) I'll scout it out some more.
Forrest, I've stayed at the Caddilac a few times when I spent to much time at the Bears Den, and didn't feel like driving back to Suwannee. The Caddilac has a sign saying pets are welcome, and that if your dog will vouch for you, it's ok if you stay there too.
The Cadillac isn't on the water, but there is a pretty new ramp just across the river at Hinton Landing.

CrackerJack
05-21-2002, 05:59 PM
Sounding real good Supreme Seadog(like the sound of that). Cuda, I have no problem with salt water.
We will be over in Longboat Key June 1 thru the 11th. Planning on getting together with Ted(HP500) and his wife on Sunday. If interested in coming down email me.

Last Tango
05-21-2002, 09:41 PM
Cuda!
See how easy and fun this is? Pick a hotel at Suwanee, pick a date, and work with Forrest for a Suwanee weekend. I'm not afraid of saltwater. I live and play on saltwater every day. REAL SEADOGs can handle salt or fresh. Suggest a couple dates and throw them on the board under this thread. Check with your hotel pick first. Some folks will stay in the water all weekend, some will pull out at night and drop back in in the morning. Everyone will party! All of your suggestions sound good.
Since we don't have a Lake Eufala event this year, SEADOGs are open for a Labor Day weekend event. Check some of those hotels for then. The usual SEADOG requests are: Reasonable room rate, ramp close buy, access to 93 octane gas, secure dockage, parking for trucks with trailers close to the room, a convenient restaurant for meals not planned during the daily runs to somewhere.
I am ALL FOR a Suwanee weekend! GO CUDA!

Last Tango
05-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Laidback!
I live in Fruit Cove and keep my boats at Julington Creek Marina. We need to plan a rendezvous. How about the Outback Crabshack on Six Mile Creek? Monday would be best for me (Memorial Day). I'll bring "The ARK of the Supreme SEADOG" (my Z3250). Lemme know!

Laidback
05-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Tango,

Sounds good but I am leaving for a Mexican cruise today (poor 'ol me). I arrive back to Ft Lauderdale early Monday so I might be able to make it for say 2:00 at Six Mile.
I was there three weekends ago and had em all checking out the C22 (Red Thunder).

cell-382 7719

CrackerJack
05-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Looks real good, count us in for either or both.

Last Tango
05-22-2002, 08:22 PM
Sorry, 'Poodle, I'll be at lake Lanier and Road Atlanta that weekend. Doing the 1ake with my 18 and driving (other peoples) Porsches at the track. But you boys play nice that weekend. Don't make Mike and Nick mad. Sure would be unfriendly if your X-18 dusted half of their new boats (hehehe).
I'm still in for the Suwanee gathering depending on which weekend 'Cuda picks.
Anybody in the Tampa Bay area want to take Wednesday or Thursday off this coming week and take me for a boat ride?
Mark (Supreme SEADOG) :cool:

Forrest
05-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Well, what do you think Cuda? The Suwanee is the place and it seems that you may know the Levy/Dixie county area better than most. So if you can make some recommendations on accommodations, maybe we can look in to it and come up with a good weekend. What do you think? Sooner is better than later.

Cuda
05-23-2002, 11:08 PM
I was just talking with my girlfriend, who was born there and lived there until 2 years ago, and she told me Suwanee Gables would be the best spot for it. I knew the motel was there, but I didn't know they had docks. It is right on Hwy 19 just north of the Suwanee River. There is the Suwanee Gables Restaurant across the street, and gas stations on 19 with 93 octane. I doubt we could get 93 staying in the town of Suwannee, I know the place I stayed only had 89. The motel also has a pool for the wives and kids. I am trying to talk Debbie into us taking a ride up this weekend and check it out. What do you think, the town of Suwanee or on the river at Old Town?

Last Tango
05-24-2002, 06:53 AM
'Cuda,
Suwanee plan sounds awesome! I like your location pick, as well, although I have no personal knowlege of the area. Looks like Forrest has the Eufala plan back in action, so don't pick Labor Day Weekend.
Just for reference, my personal best weekend choices for this event are 12-14 July, or 2-4 August. My June is booked solid, 18-23 July is already spoken for, and 7-13 August is Thunder on the Bay.
Forrest, I'm IN at Bagby! "E4" sounds like a GO!
Mark :cool: (Supreme SEADOG)

Forrest
05-24-2002, 10:45 AM
Ahhh yes, ye ol' Suwanee Gables motel right on the river and US 19 near Fanning Springs. Looks nice - never stayed there though. The city of Chiefland and the town of Trenton is near by. If the Suwanee Gables fills up, the Cadillac Motel is just over the bridge. Pleanty of places to eat in Cheifland too or BBQ on the river.

When do you think guys? Looks like June is out for Last Tango, though June would be nice. Looks like sometime in July?

What dates work best you you guys? Scott? Cuda? Jack? Anyone? How 'bout you Suncoast guys? Nate? Ted? John & Kathy? Interested?

Ready for a Suwanee run!!

Mark, are you bringing the ARK?

Tidbart
05-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Sign me up.. I am itching for a get-together. Finalize some plans and post-em. I'll go anywhere within reason.
By the way, there is a gathering brewing at Eufaula for Labor day. Unless I just booked a room for last year's event.
Bob

CrackerJack
05-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Will probably be out of town 7/1-7/7.
Scott still thinking of Sarasota for 7/20-7/21?
The Supreme Seadog likes 7/12-7/14, which is
good for us. Hope this all comes together sounds
like a good place. We have never been there.

Cuda
05-24-2002, 05:30 PM
I am trying to talk Debbie into running up there sometime this weekend, just to check it out some more. If most people can't go until July, maybe a few of us could go up sooner for a smaller meet. There is no limit to how many times we can go, unless we get banished for some reason or other. I would like to go in the next two or three weeks, right now, I think my schedule is pretty open. I have all the interior out of the boat right now, but I don't think it will take me long to get it back together enough for an outing, I am hoping to go on a fun run Monday with some guys. It is best to get up there before the fourth of July, because that is when scallop season opens, and that is the busiest time of year up there. Most of the scalloping takes place a little farther up near Horseshoe Beach, and Steinhatchee River. I used to go out from Steinhatchee and go scalloping, then put the boat on the trailer and head back to the Suwannee. We would launch in the Suwannee, shuck the scallops, put out a couple rods for catfish while we were scalloping (the shuck makes a good chum slick), drink a couple boat sodas, and that way the engine and the trailer were both well rinsed in the fresh water. We would have a seafood fest at night with sauteed scallops, fried catfish, and cheese grits......mmmmmm make you hurt yourself!

Last Tango
05-25-2002, 08:33 PM
WAIT! Why would we want to go BEFORE scallop season? I, The Supreme SEADOG, LOVE scallops! What better time to go than harvest time! Should be real fresh and tender the 7/12-14 of July!
I hope you enjoyed the weekend. We wait breathlessly your report.
Mark :cool: (Supreme SEADOG)

Cuda
05-29-2002, 09:33 AM
We didn't get a chance to get up to Suwannee this weekend, but we did call them at Suwannee Gables and got some info.
There are new docks and a boat launch at the motel. Rooms are $68, $75, and $145 for a cottage. Pets are allowed for an additional $8 a day. It is $10 for a boat slip, which is a one time fee, not each day. Right now July 4th weekend is still availiable. All the weekends in August are still availiable, but they may fill up quickly. The people seemed real eager to have us come up. They said they have boat clubs from Crystal River and Jacksonville come there a lot.

Here is the website with some pictures of the motel.
http://suwanneegables.homestead.com/Ambiance.html
Here are some other places to visit via boat while there.
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/district2/fanningsprings/index.asp
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/district2/manateesprings/index.asp

Forrest
05-30-2002, 07:58 AM
OK . . . so when does everyone want to go?

July 12 to July 14? early August?

Suwanee Gables is not the only place in town to stay. There is the Cadallic across the bridge, and the Holiday-In Express and the Comfort Inn in Chiefland.