PDA

View Full Version : South Puget Sound Run

EricG
05-10-2002, 10:14 AM
Owen, Jeff, MX, anyone else in The NW that wants to splash in the Salt - we had originally talked about one of the last weekends in June for a South Puget Sound run. Anyone still interested?

EG

oldLenny
05-10-2002, 06:55 PM
...today would have been nice!!!... :D

Formula Jr
05-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Eric, Yes, that run is still on schedual for latter half of June. Then I'll be heading back East for the Thunder on the Bay and back in time for the Scramarama on Labor Day. I'll have to go find the old intinerary I posted some time back and see if it needs tweaking. We still need a starting place in or just south of Tacoma. Lenny can ride with me if he wants to. Mainly we need to determine a base of operation with a ramp and over night facilities. Preferably a camp ground.

oldLenny
05-11-2002, 11:25 PM
OWEN,thanks, I'll take you up on that one. I'll bring the motorhome down and "camp" somewhere as you do. I don't "camp" well. But I have a fridge,gas bar-b-que, stove, air conditioner, furnace, generator and microwave :D

THAT'S CAMPING!

Oh,..and a dog :rolleyes:

Formula Jr
05-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Found it!

Can I see a thumbs up or down member count on South Sound based in Tacoma June 22th or 29th somewhere? Any ideas on cool areas? Trying to be democratic here, otherwise I'll just pencil out an interary that makes no freaken sense at all.

This looks to be a three port trip. Inner run of Fox Island (port), Inner run for McNell and Anderson, round Hartstene Island, Olympia as
Mid-Destination (port), Back thru Nisqually Reach, Inner side of Ketron Island, back thru the narrows to launch (port) and Dinner?
About 84 land miles round trip. Or do we want a two day thingy. My mode of travel is to find a campground with a ramp and then base
there. Does anyone know of a good south sound (south of the Narrows) Campground with a good ramp? Kopachuck does'nt look to have a ramp.

Jeff, says Jarrel Cove is a good destination.

MXRoadster
05-13-2002, 10:54 AM
Either weekend will work for me; I’ll just plan for both weekends. My question is do we want to do the South Sound both days or do we want to do Lake Washington on one of the days for the non-salt boaters?

Lenny and Owen, if you want you can also stay at my place if you don’t want to camp although it sounds like Lenny likes to rough it when he camps. I’m centrally located if we want to do both the Sound and Lake Washington.

EricG
05-13-2002, 11:22 AM
As I don't think anyone is all that familiar with the South Sound, I think your proposed itinerary sounds fine to me Owen. I'm in for a long 1 dayer, but I don't think Camping will happen for me....

Let's start by nailing down the weekend. The First of the two works better for me, but the second one is being held open also....so either way really.

I'll try to ask around for south sound campgrounds...EG

EricG
05-13-2002, 12:59 PM
This looks like a potential spot. And I may be in for Camping after all. eek!

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Joemma%20Beach&pageno=1

Also, I don't know if you've found this site - but it's invaluable for searching for launches around here.

http://boat.iac.wa.gov/

EG

Formula Jr
05-13-2002, 05:40 PM
So we'll just nail this down some. June 22nd., Main Base Joemma Park (Though I haven't found it on a map yet). Thanks for finding that site Eric. Once I find the location, I'll work on another day route. But what the hell. We can always just Helter Skelter on the Sound!!! Half the fun is sitting around a campfire and telling tall tales!. And if Jeff comes, he can show us all the cool stuff anyway.

Mx, thank you for offering your home as a base, but camping leaves everyone the oppertunity to "go home- their camp site" if and when they get too wasted!! Lenny is, after all, a Canadian. You have to plan for such things. :D LOL

MXRoadster
05-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Ok, the 22nd and 23rd are good dates, and we can just leave Sunday open for anything.

Eric thanks for the links, what a wealth of information. If the weather is good I hope to be on Lake Washington this Saturday to make a shake down run before the holiday weekend. If you can take your boat out let me know and we can meet up somewhere.

Owen, the last Canadian I drank with was a logger, they can’t all drink that much... Can they? :D

EricG
05-14-2002, 02:46 PM
Yesterday I went and bought the "Guide to Cruising on Puget Sound" (published in 1995) and it's an incredible source of information on every possible location to hit in the sound......except Joemma State Park :confused: . Then I went to another book store, and read a little about Joemma (I couldn't afford 2 books... :rolleyes: ). Joemma State Park was created in 1995...hence the missing info in the book....however, it appears that it used to be known as the "Robert F. Kennedy Recreation Area" - so if you find that on your maps, I think it's the same thing. I also learned that Joemma State Park is named for Joe and Emma Smith (or something like that)....but I digress.

Anyway, It also looks like they've got room for RV's to 35' - so I guess Len can bring the Family Truckster down.....I think maybe I'll camp in the boat (on the trailer)...I've never been one for Tents. :D

MX - I wish I could shake down this weekend....I'm hoping to just get the boat de-winterized and cleaned up this weekend. Knowing me, I'll be dragging it to the Launch at about 6:30 on Sunday night for a 20 minute cruise...oh well.

EG

Formula Jr
05-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Found it. On the charts find Anderson Island. Due west of Anderson is the southern tip of Key Peninsula. On my charts it is marked "Devil's Head" Follow the Western Shore line north till you see Whitman Cove. This is where Joemma Park is. Looks like an excellent central location for South Sound. Its not on Mapquest or the Delorme Washington Atlas. Rand Mcnally 2002 Large Format Road Atlas has it listed page 218 Grid H 6.

http://boat.iac.wa.gov/launches.asp?county=Pierce

Go here and click on Number 9.

oldLenny
05-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Owen,...what "colour" boat are you bringing? Red or blue?

My dog stays home. I have a hard enough time looking after myself. Maybe bring some C-gars and Canadian micro brews though :D (I don't smoke so pass them on)

Formula Jr
05-15-2002, 01:14 AM
Oh, I be bringing the JR. The GT is still 3900 miles out. I should have the GT by Scramarama.

P.S. Finally got around to firing up the JR. Check out, fluid change and first run tomorrow.

And so it begins....

Oh and Lenny, you can drive the boat. I want to see how the natives do it..... of coarse I'll be watching from Eric's boat. :D

Later.........

Today's run went Oky, but all that corrosion from leaving the battery in and connected caused all manner of Goblins. Oddly the exhuast water was black with carbon for about 20 minutes of flushing. Never seen that before. The carb from the outside looks like toast but somehow it still worked, and worked remarkably well.

The best part, was I took my General Contractor along for the ride after a frustrating day of build. Her first time in a boat like this. She was completely stoned on the adrenalin and said something to the effect of, "Man, you guys have perfected the solution to a bad day." Were true-er words ever spoken?

Formula Jr
05-17-2002, 04:15 PM
Guys Please start posting again. June is coming up fast and there are still details to be worked out.....

EricG
05-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Anyone have a Depth Sounder? I really want to put one in before hitting the sound, but I don't think the money will be there....especially when I factor in this slight exhaust manifold issue I may have eek!

I've been reading my Puget Sound book, trying to figure out places of interest....unfortunately my Dad is having guests that weekend, since he grew up on the Sound in Olympia, I was hoping he'd be the tour guide.

I want to try to hit the State Park sometime before the event to scope it out. Maybe if it's raining this weekend I'll head down there.

I'm jealous you got in the water Owen. I went up to get the boat ready on Saturday, but ran out of time, I'm taking Friday off to finish...

Let's keep the communication flowing.

EG

Formula Jr
05-20-2002, 07:27 PM
I was going to say, "Who needs a freaken Depth Sounder", then I remembered my last little foray in the Sound. :rolleyes: Any body know where to look for tide tables. Thanks for the park recon Eric. I was almost thinking the same thing.

oldLenny
05-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Ahhh,...driving an FJ! Can't say I've ever done that. Here is what I use for tides there.

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/ana

Did you get my mail earlier today?. I need to know what campsite to reserve space for, for the motorhome, 26'. Not bringing any pets, just a change of clothes and an immense thirst! ( thirst after the boat is parked and keys hidden... :rolleyes: )

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Joemma+Beach&pageno=1

...no reservations... :confused:

Formula Jr
05-21-2002, 01:22 AM
Thats why a recon is a good idea. I can get there before the weekend crowd and "reserve" any spaces. Just gotta bring along enought stuff to leave on the sites. Ideally, some what secluded, with a good fire pit and with in staggering distance of the outhouse.

Lenny, keys are easy to by -pass. I take out the primary lead. :D
Oh, and when Henry starts growling, it means "slow down."
or maybe "speed up." Damn dog is kinda hard to figure out sometimes.

We need tide tables for Olympia.

oldLenny
05-21-2002, 08:20 AM
...just pick the place from the left of the one below or go to the "other reporting stations etc after that.

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/map.php/ana/2001-09-01

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/monthly.php/oly/2002-05-21 click on the map button...

June 21-22-23 has high tides in the late afternoon. The following weekend has low slack at 5pm-ish. Looks like we move about 16 feet of water here! eek!

oldLenny
05-22-2002, 12:36 AM
Oh, ...and Owen. One more question.
When I drive the boat,...who gets to wear the lanyard to the kill switch?...Me or the dog?(Henry)? :confused:

I am just trying to gain some insight here as to where I sit in the foodchain... :D

Formula Jr
05-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Henry says you can wear the lanyard, but he was looking at those radio controlled shocker collars in the store yesterday with a little too much interest. It is after all, a straight shot to Canada. :D

Well, so the list so far is Eric, Lenny and Saffell et. al?
Anyone else? MX? Jeff? Tide looks like it is going to be perfect.

EricG
05-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Well, the forecast for this weekend is Rain - so hopefully I'll be able to drive down to the State Park. I really wanted to splash the boat this weekend, but it's not looking likely so far. At this rate the SPS Run will be my shakedown this year eek! That's scary!!

I hope some more folks join us....the more the merrier!!

EG

oldLenny
05-24-2002, 12:27 AM
...Owen, we need more people. 2 boats to date for June 21-22-23...

MXRoadster
05-24-2002, 09:31 AM
Sorry guys I haven’t had much time to reply here, my first time out with the boat this year wasn’t too good. I have been busy fixing leaky gaskets and searching for blockage in the water passages. Anyways, all seems good now and I’m leaving this morning to check it all out in eastern WA.

I will be at the SPS run and I am hoping to get to the park early on Friday. When does everyone plan on getting to the park?

David

Formula Jr
05-24-2002, 01:07 PM
Good to hear from Mr MX! Better bring a trailer lock for that Hornet III though. :D

Now BlewbyU, what are you doing that is so damned important that you can't come? You should have had that range rover engine swap done by now. wink

I'll be there Thursday evening.
Large dark Gold G30 Van, red boat with white deck. I'll be bringing lots of wood for campfires. And An Ample supply of "Henry's" -- not the Dog - the other "Henry's."

We now have the Scramarama on Lake Washington, on Labor Day Sunday and are about to start another tradition......Thanks to Eric's insistance! Is this not cause for celibration? After years of being "Lost on my Own." out here in the wide open spaces between Donzis; this place, donzi.net, has opened up a whole new world to explore. We are defining events. That is deeply satisfying in its own right as Scott Boldt will attest. Scott, you are an inspiration! If there are "only three boats", well thats two more. And next year there may be six or seven. And the next year? Christ! There might be 15 boats! There are bragging rights to being at the first one. Guess, I gotta make up some T-shirts. :D :D

oldLenny
05-25-2002, 10:12 AM
I plan on getting there around lunchtime (http://www.donzi.net/photos/ham1.jpg) on friday, the 21st of June, then head back up North on Monday am.

I can't believe it took me 45 minutes to make this work, but Tony, you're right, now I won't forget.

Formula Jr
06-05-2002, 03:51 AM
So I haven't an itinerary yet, but the easy questions are who is bringing what? Like I said, I'll bring all the fire wood needed, All the Henry's needed - plus one more, and some cheap smoked salmond to snack on. Do you guys like the aerisol cheese with bacon bits? yumm yumm. And some crackers maybe? If you guys don't speak up, I might just bring some of them crabs from around here - I think they are called Dunginess or something... :D

oldLenny
06-05-2002, 10:21 AM
FJ. I will eat ALL the dungeness you can possibly bring!!!Bring a big pot to boil them. I am bringing the motorhome, probably a standard gas bar-b-que, a trip to Costco for meat and snacks etc. I will bring some kindling (cedar) if you like. I am just planning on a juice/cereal breaky, buy my lunches, cook a steak type/shrimp baked potato dinners on the Bar-B-Que. I will be there (wherever that is) on Friday afternoon, I am coming across on the COHO to Port Angeles in the am, then driving down the Olympic Penninsula.
I will bring a vast array of beverages...

Let me know what I need to bring to help out.

MXRoadster
06-06-2002, 02:35 PM
Damm, I must just like to do things late because I have no idea on what to bring yet. Of course, I have a little engine situation that needs to be taken care of, so I’ve been a slightly preoccupied. So far the only thing on the list is an assortment of fermented adult beverages, as for what food I’ll be bringing will probable be last minute decision. I can bring a large crab pot and propane cooker if we need it.

Owen, you’re on your own with the aerosol cheese stuff. :D

Lenny, how many Coho will it take to keep that motorhome above water? eek!

oldLenny
06-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Who's got the trap for the "Dungies", who's willing to let a "fishing device" into a Donzi or Formula?, and MX, only one COHO is needed, only it's big, ugly, grey and black, and about 40 years old :rolleyes:

Formula Jr
06-06-2002, 10:09 PM
Found a better Map. (http://www.parks.wa.gov/moorage/parks/m_041.asp)

Does Washington require a shellfish permit? We could just drop a trap off the dock eh? Or tied to a fender float. Other wise I was going to just buy some crabs on ice. I quess you guys don't use Old Bay on the Dungies.

I'll bring a small pressure wash for getting salt off the drives and such. Hose and muff for flush.

MX, don't knock the Whizz Cheese, it saves you from packing shaving cream. eek!

oldLenny
06-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Owen, thanks for the map. I agree that buying the Dungies is a better idea. The rope/float/trap/bait situation along with a licence for shellfish in WA. will probably buy 3-4 of these babies whole. I can't get much past 1 1/2 to 2 of them a night and there are only 3 nights there for me. BUY BUY BUY. (but live) Garlic and butter for me, (no shaving cream)... maybe a candle for effect if the scenaries good eek! eek! eek! . No buoys, rope, licence etc. and good hassle free eating. If crabbing was the sole purpose of my "trip" I'd bring down an old aluminum boat with oars, a Seagull motor on back, (open exhaust!!!) 200 feet of rope, a dozen COD heads, a trap, and ...

Uh,uh...

I want to go fast in DONZI's/FORMULA's and play in the Puget Sound!!!...then eat.
Are you bringing a cell this time to save on LD charges?

Again, what do you want me to bring? There is only me in a 26' home with nothing but room. If need be, it sleeps three comfortably. (bring your own bedding)

MXRoadster
06-07-2002, 12:09 AM
Shaving cream… I can see it now, Owens new book “101 uses for cheese in a can”. :D
Yes we would need at least one permit for shellfish, and I can acquire a trap with the accessories but with my luck it is easier to go get the Dungies at the local store.

Owen, what is Old Bay?

ToonaFish
06-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Old Bay is a Southern way to prepare shellfish... sprinkle a little aftershave behind your crab's ears and plop him in a vat of boiling water. Yum, yum. It's why they have that funny accent in the Louisiana bayous.

Bunches,

Celene 'gives her shrimp beer'

oldLenny
06-07-2002, 12:19 AM
OK!!!SOMEONE BRING THE BIG POT!!!The good part is looked after...We'll boil on my B-B-QUE.

Formula Jr
06-07-2002, 12:50 AM
Lenny, within the hour of getting that ATT Calling Card bill, I burned that sucker, within the week had signed out of ATT completely. Never to return. I bought a pre pay card. Does anyone have a GPS? Also bringing handheld VHF. My Handle is Formula JR, I will hail/monitor on CH 51 by the site handles. EricG, MXroadracer, Lenny etc... If anyone does have Cells we can e-mail those to eachother.

Crabs.. Live it is. But I want to try at least a couple the "BoughtMore" Way. Old Bay and a touch of vinegar in the steam. Then they are "CrEEbbs Hon!"

You can take the boy out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the boy. :D

Toona, "First Lady of Donzi.Net." Haha. Hahaha. Hahahawhawhaw! LMAO.

EricG
06-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Wow....All this plannin' going on and I'm so buried at work I haven't had time to chime in...(I've been working the 12on/12off schedule - and I work at a desk!! - Anyone want an IT manager job? I think I'm ready to start driving Truck again).

Anyway. Here's my rundown so far....Yes I have a GPS (just the little E-TREX - but I'll program some waypoints so we don't get too lost...). I also have 2 handheld CB's (the old kind)- I don't know how far they'll work, but I'm sure they'll work Ship to Ship pretty well.

It's going to be me and the Donzi Gal Early Saturday Morning through Sunday afternoon - I hope that doesn't cause a problem - she's a good sport, and can drink me under the table....

As far as passengers, I've got room for 6 (although, plan for about 20 minutes to plane off with that many eek! ). Anyone is welcome to hop in my boat for the actual running....

More later....

Oh yeah - I can easily bungee a couple of crab pots to the swim step if we want to try it...

EG

oldLenny
06-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Where's Jeff? :( ...where's Kamapmj?,...and Eric, where's the fellow you met the other day with the 22 Classic (I believe)?

It's not everyday that the Pacific Northwest gets to socialize with a crowd of Aronow influence!!!

MXRoadster
06-08-2002, 03:47 PM
I just returned from my visit to Joemma Park and on a drizzly weekend like this one the campground was only half full. I talked with the park ranger and she frowns upon reserving camp sites, I think if we’re extra nice to her we could get her to bend the rules a little if we need to. wink

We will have to watch the tides for boat ramp use for it does not look like it is low tide friendly. As for cell service I use Sprint and the service was little to none along Hwy 302 and the campground. There is a Texaco a few miles away, so fill-ups at the end of the day won’t be difficult.

For some reason I forgot to look and see where we could hookup a hose for flushing the motors :rolleyes: , so hopefully that won’t be problem.
Did I forget anything else?

1992 Classic 18
06-11-2002, 12:26 AM
I'll see if I can come down and mingle with you guys. As for water, I'll bring a 55 gallon drum, and we can use my shower adaptor on my Jeep to flush out the boats, if the Jeep and Donzi decide to run on the same day (very rare...)

Hope to see you all soon...

Kelly

oldLenny
06-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Looked at a buddies "Streets and Trips 2001" today. There are about 3 "close" (less than 20 N.M.)"pubs" on the water. One in Gig Harbour that is supposed to be great, "some" in Olympia and one up North to the West. Could be great food/conversation destinations in the early afternoon. He is a "cruiser", 30 + feet in a Tolly. Has been all over these places for many years. Says the place is calm most of the time (wind doesn't find it) but fog is a problem. Shouldn't bother us tho at this time of year. We will have to find some large boats to follow if we are going to have some "FUN"... :D

MXRoadster
06-11-2002, 11:48 PM
The place in Gig Harbor is called Tides Tavern and is a great place to stop they have excellent beer (they brew their own), pizza, burgers, and a few cute waitresses. wink As for larger boats I have mentioned the run to a buddy of mine with a 26' Sea Ray and depending on his schedule he may come down on Saturday (but there is no way he could keep up with us). Maybe I can get him to save some dock space at Tides.

David

oldLenny
06-12-2002, 12:17 AM
I have a "chart set" around here somewhere for Puget Sound but I don't think it goes as far as Oly?... I'll have to dig it out. Anyone else got water info on hand?

Rocks seem to be in the darn-dest places in the ocean... :( :( frown

Formula Jr
06-12-2002, 01:46 AM
MX, the more the merrier. Kelly, fantastic! Come on down! Lenny, you mean the BIG charts. Don't have those either. Gig Harbor sounds good, but it is alittle out of the way. I'm amazed it has a good water front bar and grill. 20 years ago, it was a dive. We'll have to buzz Salmon Beach. I can show you where I use to live.

I was thinking one day we could cruise the South side of Key Peninsula and the next we could cruise the North side. Tides don't matter as much on the North side but are rather critical on the South side.

Did Lookout Point today again. Light chop, perfect for speed runs. Boat never ran better. Major grins....... :D

oldLenny
06-17-2002, 11:07 PM
Found the BIG charts. Have all that you need for the entire area. Got the tides as well. I am on the 10:30 am sailing from Victoria to Port Angeles on Friday. It is an hour and a half, thus noon, then customs, then driving straight to Joemma Park. Should be there about 3pm if all goes well. :rolleyes: .

High tide is at 5pm on Friday, 6pm on Saturday,7pm on Sunday.

Low tides are at 10am on Friday, 10:45am on Saturday, 11:30 am on Sunday.

Formula Jr
06-18-2002, 12:17 AM
Then I guess we'll just have to be sleeping in late. Oh The Sacrifices. The things we have do....On our weekends - Man its just not fare... wink

EricG
06-18-2002, 11:36 AM
Boat ran great on Saturday, it's definitely ready for the salt.

I've got the Waterproof Chart, the Waterproof GPS, the Big Golf Umbrella, and the new Digital Camera (with MPEG Capture capabilities), so I think I'm ready....although I suppose I should probably dig the camping gear out of the closet one of these evenings too.

We're staying at Kathy's folks in Puyallup Friday night, so we'll be out to the park fairly early Saturday AM. The forcast is for Cloudy, low 70's...20% chance of showers. Looks like it should be OK.

MX - How long did it take to get to the park from Sumner? How's the motor coming?

-EG

oldLenny
06-18-2002, 09:58 PM
...got my new "AIR FORCE MUSTANG JACKET!!! (dark blue until you explode...then yellow) Thanks DIGGER, (if you're listening) these things are NICE. I got the fully auto unit with a spare CO2 can for $239.00 CAN before taxes. About $160 US. I didn't know it but MUSTANG's are made about 20 miles from me over in Vancouver.

Now, if I only knew if it was me that was going to need it,...or Henry... :confused:

MXRoadster
06-18-2002, 11:31 PM
I finished installing the new motor today and tomorrow I will drop the boat off so the engine can be dialed in properly. So if all goes well I’ll be ready for the weekend by Thursday. I am hoping to arrive late Thursday afternoon if I can, otherwise I’ll be there early on Friday.

Eric, the drive from Sumner took about 45 minutes, but that was in my car and not towing a boat. It will probable take you about an hour, depending on traffic around Cheney stadium.

Formula Jr
06-19-2002, 09:35 PM
I'm finalizing the "hold no liabilty release". Which you will have to sign Mr. Green... :D

Henry has his own jacket......

oldLenny
06-19-2002, 10:43 PM
...I'm a good sport. The boat is what's important here :D

...not a member of the "just a boat" club...

MXRoadster
06-19-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm now looking at a Friday arrival since I did not get the boat back this afternoon. :mad: If all goes well I’ll be there early on Friday.

David
now praying to the boat gods.

EricG
06-20-2002, 12:59 PM
I hope things work out with the boat today MX. If things go terribly wrong, you're more than welcome to ride with us....although I really, really want to check out the hornet.

Things are still on schedule for an Early Saturday arrival...My Cell # is 206-972-1520 if we need to touch base....let me know if I need to grab anything for anyone on the way in.

EG

1992 Classic 18
06-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Won't be taking the Donzi anyplace soon....I had some problems with my rearend in the Jeep, and had to swap both axles back to my stock ones, and I'm not towing a boat anyplace with 35" tires, and stock gears. Plus I think my Dana 35c would twist a shaft just pulling the boat out of the water.

Would love to meet up with you guys though...someone want to let me ride along?

Kelly

oldLenny
06-20-2002, 10:08 PM
It's 8pm here, absolutely gorgeous, hot, about 80 and totally clear. Owen should be there by now and "saving" a spot or two...I am packed and ready. Will leave on the 10:30 am (Friday)ferry from VIC to Port Angeles and then drive on down. If the weather remains like this even the guys in Florida will be jealous!

Owen, if you have a cellular hook up and read this, I am cooking ribs on Friday night. Honey garlic on baby-backs! Also, brought Henry a "treat" just to break the "ice". We have to get along 'ya know, life jacket or no-life jacket... :D

MXRoadster
06-20-2002, 11:15 PM
:mad: :mad: I am not a happy man, I have become so angry that I have actually reached a mellow stage.

Well here is how the story goes, I picked up the boat today and the shop was happy on how she ran, they only had to tighten a few hose clamps and tune her up. Great, so I get home run her on the hose for about five minutes to confirm everything is ok and its off the lake for me. At the lake I run for about 20 minutes taking it easy and trying to check on the engine, then the motor seems to be loosing power so I slow down to check the engine and realize that the engine is leaking oil now and the bilge has a nice oil/water mix(cream colored). After getting home I confirmed that the engine is also getting water into it. I don’t know how this is happening and I am not in the mood to check it out right now. Tomorrow I will call the shop that built the motor to see what my options are.

I will probable drive down tomorrow in the car and hang out till dark and then on Saturday I could bring the Hornet down, we just won’t be able to splash her. Everything is subject to change right now.

Give me a call if anybody needs me to bring something they need/forgot. 253-376-3851

oldLenny
06-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Bummer,Bummer, Bummer... :( Bring yourself, screw the Boat. It will still be a blast meeting everyone. I have food for many. Canadian Beer too. Microbrews, not junk. If it is a scene then walk away for now and come enjoy. At this point we still have Eric, Owen and Lenny "no boat". This will work.

Oh, and that Florida comment about an hour ago?...sure...this time we got the weather, but they have always GOT THE NUMBERS!!!

On another note,...I hope you "guys" in Florida and the Northeast coast are paying attention to how hard we TRY to get the DONZI spirit alive here... :rolleyes: It is NOT easy with a half dozen to choose from...

oldLenny
06-20-2002, 11:50 PM
1992 classic 18!!!
If things don't work out for you, why don't you try to "hitch" up with MX Roadster and get him to tow your boat down? Not trying to step in here but it might work.

MX is 253-376-3851

Smack me if I am out of place here...either one of you.

MXRoadster
06-21-2002, 12:05 AM
Lenny, I will be there. Even without the boat I need this right now. I been busting my ass to get there with the boat and that is what bothers me the most about all of this.

Kelly, what Lenny said could work. Where in Seattle are you? If want your boat to be there I think my HD ¾ ton Chevy might be able to tow your 18 :rolleyes: Call me, it could work.

David

Forrest
06-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Lenny, the guys in Florida are jealous! That part of the country has the best scenery anywhere - and it's not sweltering hot and humid either like it is down here. I sure wish that I could attend this one - maybe one day. Best of luck!

1992 Classic 18
06-21-2002, 11:00 PM
I'm in north seattle....the Donzi hasn't even been out of the garage since last September, and I can't get up to the summer house to get her ready. Blah, seen one classic, seen em all.

I gotta get the Jeep together for a nasty weekend of wheelin' in Oregon anyways....But we gotta hook up soon!

Formula Jr
06-24-2002, 10:05 PM
Kelly, I don't know if you've been in these waters but, I don't yet even know how to describe the awesome spectical of South Sound. I just know that leaving today was one of the hardest things I've had to do in a long time......

E-mail me any thing you want in the writeup guys. With all the camera coverage, it didn't make sense for me to take pics. I really needed to just focus on the driving on this trip.

Eric; I have to say that Kath....um, I mean your boat, was looking beautiful at full tilt!!!! :D Can't wait for the Vid clips.

oldLenny
06-24-2002, 10:49 PM
I don't know OWEN. I only shot about 80 pictures. :D And Eric only had 128 MB on his camera. Could be tight :D

Formula Jr
06-25-2002, 12:23 AM
And Dave filled up a roll or two. Somewhere in all of that we can get across what this was.....Donzi Heaven.... wink

Some of these runs ... I just replay in my mind over and over again....I can't even place the gig harbor run in any sort of context. Just full bore play for an hour and five different types of water.

Dave and Len hung on through the whole deal .... And I WAS playing to keep pace with (I only have one speed Eric). Not to many people will do an 9/10ths run as a Pass and not start screaming. But they were stone cool, no complaints right on through. :D

You guys amaze me that you will get in a strange boat run by some one you don't know and still, its all grins. :D

MXRoadster
06-25-2002, 01:21 AM
Well at least Lenny had his new life jacket on the whole time, unlike me. :rolleyes:
Owen thanks for the ride(s) and I hope we didn’t leave too many indentations in your grab rail. eek!

Lenny, Owen, Eric(I only have one speed) and Kathy Thanks for the great weekend. I can't wait for the next N.W. get together, maybe I'll be able to take the Hornet off the trailer next time.

David

oldLenny
06-25-2002, 03:21 AM
Owen,..not blind faith by any means,...

As we discussed, by the "pig",... we are only names without faces, no connectivity, other than this common interest, and that is what begins to break the ice.

In hindsight,... this weekend,... I know this was a GREAT EXPERIENCE! The people I met, (even you... :D ) were awesome, open, real, no bul#&^%.

I would do this again in a heartbeat!!!

...on the driving issue...

I watched you like a hawk, Friday at 4PM, and tried to figure out your personality, "mannerisims", driving habits, and confidence level, experience in "flying" etc...and matched that to your "waves!!!,...full throttle, hang-on Lenny!!! attitude".
End result was,... I was impressed.

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THIS HULL...

I was comfortable 100% of the time and I appreciate the opportunity that you gave me to "FLY" your boat for 3 days.

Secretly,...I wanted to hit the water at 60-ish and see if the jacket worked...

'nuf said.

I will reciprocate,thank you , as well as Eric and Kathy and Dave...the Bench, next year, same time...

..on another note,...the refund I got on the empties I took back almost made up for the exchange from being in your country... :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dmadsenfunrun01.jpg
...THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE THIS PLACE... THANKS SCOTT VAN A

EricG
06-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Hey now...I have more than one speed.....I have Idle, Full Throttle, Engine Cut-out, Full Throttle, Engine Cut-out..... wink

Actually, I still think it's funny that we ran like that. I was worried about pushing my boat that hard, but because you were so much faster, I didn't want to hold you up....a lesson for other Donzi Gatherings - maybe not everyone wants to run WOT all day - just mention it!

I'm still smiling after the Weekend. I would've loved to stay and run Sunday, but my little electrical glitch was bothering me - not to mention next time I'm taking Friday and/or Monday off!! Working 10-12 hour days leading up and following the run wore me out... eek!

Thanks for the great weekend everyone! I'm very ready for the next one!

EG

Formula Jr
06-30-2002, 05:13 AM
Isn't it amazing that this even happened?

Ohhhh....next year.....

Thank God for the Harbormaster. :D

oldLenny
06-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Owen, don't despair, I have a plan :rolleyes: Next year, why don't we time the weekend to coinside with one of these poker runs http://www.nwoffshore.com/gallery/pokerruns/2001northernexposurenot/2001norther nexposurenot.htm (http://www.nwoffshore.com/gallery/pokerruns/2001northernexposurenot/2001northernexposurenot.htm) . Then, after that, we can all go around the Gulf Islands for two days, and see all. We can camp if you like at Montague Harbour on Galiano http://www.montagueharbour.com yes there is ferry service and CHEAP,...about 35$US from Victoria. Return to Victoria is free.)

The ferry to get here from Port Angeles is about $65 US for a truck and a boat to Victoria(40' in all).

Same things exist on Pender Island and Saltspring Island. Galiano is best suited though as a campground and location.

I think a poker run, and 2 days of sightseeing would be unreal. (maybe 3-4 boats) You, Eric, Jeff?, Me, Kelly? and anyone else, and we can spend one of the days playing with the "big dogs".

All can stay, (in relative dis-comfort) at my place. (15 minutes from a 700' deep salt water launch)...or we can camp again but throw a shower or two and civilization into the mix at my place.
This (http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/goldstre.htm) place is about 5 minutes from where we could launch. It is about 10 minutes from my place.

Formula Jr
07-06-2002, 12:59 AM
First draft South Sound.

This one was a difficult outting to do a write-up. For the simple fact that one of these runs, the Gig Harbor Run, was something of an ephiny for me personally. And that experience kinda wiped out everything else in memory. But I shall endeavor to reconstruct the event with some coherence.

First and foremost, I gotta say; YOU CAN NOT BEAT the caliber of people that are into Donzis.
David's and Lenny's photography and driving skills were impressive. They both took on a strange boat and ran it out. It was just so nice to be around competant people - for a change. And of course, Eric and Kathy are dyed in wool wharf rats. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, when you get together with a bunch of Donzi fanatics, you don't have to attend to the little boat stuff like how a cleat hitch works, how to raft, or how to drive a boat and all of that newbie stuff. It was very relaxing to just hand over the controls, sit back and be a passenger for a while. I REALLY needed that on that weekend. And it actually happened.

Eric picked a perfect place. I don't know how he found it, its in the middle of nowhere, but Joemma is a great South Sound central location. And aside from the lack of flushing toliets and the grief he may have suffered from Kathy's questions about checking out the facilities first, it was a great choice of campgrounds. :) The only, and I mean only, drawback is this has a shallow ramp. So launch/retreave is something you have to think about. With a 21 or over you are looking at getting wet, long painters and alot of fresh water washing on the tow vehicle. And ya can't get in too deep cause you don't want your tow vehicle that far into salt water. I just pushed my boat off the trailer from high and dry. And I was concerned about how Eric was going to launch.......but he got it done anyway.

I showed up at the locked gate at 3:30 AM on Friday. YOU DO NOT want to drive in this area during normal hours. The whole I-5 corridore is insane with traffic. Even at 3:30 AM I was dogged by kids racing hopped-up Hondas all the way in.

They lock all the state park gates after 10pm now: That was new to me. So I then drove up into Grape Point and back, to see stuff and look for Dungies - none found. At 7am I ask a Texaco manager if there was a sea food place on the peninsula, or anywhere around, and she said no. That floored me. The entire Key peninsula dosn't have a sea food store? And I had said, I was bringing Dungies.

I could either reserve ground (campsites), or look for Crabs. Ground made more sense.

So after the gate was opened, I found a spot that worked and started thowing all my extra stuff on the other campsites. I have been awake for 26 hours straight at this point.

Friday, I sit and wait. I had five ten spots to work with, "I'll buy your campgound ; just not here" sort of stuff. Fortunately my placed junk works and six other possibles pass on thru.

MX Roadracer (David) shows up. All cool with the Miata and the racing glasses. You could tell he was pissed that the Hornet was broken. Everybody wanted to run that boat. I really wanted to run that boat....

Actually why Eric and I never traded is a mystery. Next time we will have to work on that..... Though Z21's only have one great big toggle switch for a throttle as I understand them....... :)

Then Lenny shows up with his motorhome. And he is exactly what all his posts say: "Donzi Crazed Canadian Wharf Rat." And he brought potent killer beer, a BBQ, And bacanwraped Steaks and Chicken Cordon-blue and.............I mean Christ, does this man not understand the deeply rooted US traditions of SPAM, Wonder Bread and Cheese Whizz????

We launched Friday, on the start of flow tide and immediately got lost. Well I got lost. I'm sure everyone else knew exactly where we were. The State Capital building in full view was a pretty good clue we were in Budd Inlet somewhere around Olympia. I don't normally have that many people in the boat and was alittle disappointed with the speed and how she couldn't get up and fly. Everybody got turns at the wheel and I was pointing out where the sweet spot was in the trim. She wasn't even breaking 50 though. Of course thats when a couple cute girls in a Mirage creep up on us. Toyed with us. And then flew past. Henry said something very rude about tossing out passengers -- the dog has no class. Somewhere or other we ran through a tank of gas and headed back to Joemma. And You Gotta Love Washington State Parks. Here you got, what - 20 some odd campsites, and a 300,000 dollar floating pier.

My memory of that evening is some what hazy, most likely due to the Canadian Microbews. We convince Dave to bring the Hornet tomorrow so we could all get a peek at it.
Plus technically, you have to have two real Donzis to have a Donzi Gathering.

Saturday, Lenny got a chance to see the "One that Got Away." I was amazed at the condition of David's Hornet. The boat is 17 some odd years old and doesn't have a freaken scratch on it, Any Where! This is the first Hornet I had ever seen dry and the hull profile was very different than I expected. It's almost like a traditional semi-vee with a very aggressive bow vee (what I call a probing bow) and flair. On another note its probably good the Hornet wasn't running, cause with Dave's trailer set up and the shallow ramp, there's no way that boat wasn't going to get dinged.

I call first dibs on a ride at Scramarama!

Saturday, the always effervesient Eric and the; "distractingly beautiful and funny", Kathy show up. We launch late and ran for Gig Harbor.

It was probably a little cruel, to fly by the State Pen on Mc Neil Isl, on such a beautiful day and wave at the convicts, but hey, its their own damn fault they are there. :)

Now I don't want to bore anyone with my little personal epoc, but I will say, that somewhere just before the Narrows Bridge, like the main sequence of the movie 2001, I fell into the oblisk. It wasn't a rough run but the tide chop and flat holes of the upwhelling Sound, lined up with the Sun in some sort of strange way to make playful infinity of the waves: I was flying WOT over Diamonds and Glass. For me, it was an experience that transcends language.

As David promised, The Tides was a very Cool Place. This is the stuff I miss from the Chesapeak. Boat orientated places like this don't exist in central Oregon. A fella in a Pantera was nice enough to give us a good rafting space. And it was SOOOOOO...nice to be around competant boaters for a change. Raft up in a 3 knot current? - NOOOO PROBLEM!!!

So what to do about Henry? He's been freaked cause of the tank practice "boom-booms" over at Fort Lewis, and really isn't himself. Eric and Kath are gracious enough to let him stay in the Z boat's cabin. Where he proceeded to dig up the ticking, pop out the screen and briefly get his head stuck in the port hole. Henry and I will have to have a conversation about that.

Lenny's excellent camp site culinary stock took the pressure off me to find the elusive Dungies but I was still seeking them. And oddly, even Gig Harbor did not have a Live Seafood Store. Washington State is like that. Sometimes it makes no sense at all.......
Then Len picks up the food tab with some sort of judo credit card move you could not see with the naked eye...... :)

Now, at the pier was a really, really cool and rare boat. It was a CC bench Stinger 202 with a center steering wheel. The beam must have been 7 and 1/2 feet. A totally radical boat with a 4.3 Merc six.........???? Go figure.........

I wanted to show everyone the place at Salmon Beach where I mis-spent some of my mis-spent youth. So we blasted over there. I could see that the water had gotten a little rougher and knowing Eric's predilection for WOT, I made a half-assed attempt to say lets cruise. Which was not conveyed. So he's off at WOT heading Southwest in water a 17 Formula can't follow in. At the end of Nisqually Reach the waves were all wong for me , and we had to follow in his wake just to keep up. It didn't upset the Z21, one little bit. David did some great "Airborne Henry Saves" and I could concentrat on the driving. So we caught up at Case Inlet and headed for Mc Micken Island. Eric didn't want to beach on the gravel. Perfectly understandably, but it was Henry that saw my boat was drifting off the beach and said " Hey kids, Wake up." This is why I put up with him....he is always thinking....

Jarrel Cove is one of those places the rich and famous visit. Freaken beautiful yet out of the way.....we may not be rich and famous, but we have Pics. :)

Eric was having shorts and I was still trying to figure a squeak or two. Thats what happens at "All WOT-ALL THE TIME." :D

So it was back to Joemma where Eric got the jr Lenny speed run. And one day, we will get across the experience of the Sound and the deep satifaction it gives, even if it is only 67 days of summer.....

First draft South Sound....

Formula Jr
07-06-2002, 03:55 AM
I was going to lace these pics into the story. But like I said the whole Gig Harbor run blew that away.

So...
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell256.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell256.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell257.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell257.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell258.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell258.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell259.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell259.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell260.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell260.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell261.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell261.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell262.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell262.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell263.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell263.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell264.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell264.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell265.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell265.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell266.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell266.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell267.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell267.jpg) http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell268.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell268.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell269.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell269.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell270.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell270.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell271.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell271.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell272.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell272.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell273.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell273.jpg) http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell274.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell274.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell275.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell275.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell276.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell276.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell277.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell277.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell278.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell278.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell279.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell279.jpg)

http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell280.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell280.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell281.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell281.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell282.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell282.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell283.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell283.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell284.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell284.jpg)
http://www.donzi/photos/osaffell285.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell285.jpg)

:D
Pick a Pic.. any Pic will do.....

EricG
07-13-2002, 01:48 AM
Great write up Owen....It was nice to get back and have that waiting...I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting all of the pics too....

Now - on to the Scramarama....

-EG

Formula Jr
07-13-2002, 03:31 AM
and you are picking the date on that one.......

oldLenny
07-20-2002, 01:39 AM
What is the date of THAT one?...

Formula Jr
07-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Right now it looks like Jeff and I may have the only boats..... :(

We were looking at second weekend on Sept this time cause Eric can't make Labor Day weekend.

oldLenny
07-21-2002, 10:25 PM
Owen, Jeff, Dave, Kathy and Eric,...don't think I am going to make it there for this year. (or any year so far for that matter) My wife (ex) is away in Alaska or something with the older daughter (14) at that time and I have the little (6) one. Following that, I am driving to Texas, 6 million light years away, (Sept 24-Oct1) Houston, then on to Possum Kingdom and then towing something that resembles an original, REAL, Donzi but much lighter :rolleyes: . Keep me posted!!!

MXRoadster
07-21-2002, 10:56 PM
Lenny, congrats with the boat purchase, I’m trying to catch up with the latest news here on the site since I’ve been too dam busy lately to keep up with it all.

Owen, as of right now I won’t make any promises about being able to have the boat back together by that weekend. I have to figure out a few things here (mainly finances)before I can commit to anything. Hopefully I can find a transom assembly at a price I can’t refuse.

David
btw Owen, what a great write up, I always enjoy reading your stories.

EricG
07-21-2002, 11:32 PM
Dave...why the transom assembly - did the Alpha blow already? :confused:

I'm in for the second weekend in September...If you guys want to still do it on Labor Day, then I'm out...but don't reschedule on account of me (said with a small amount of sincerity wink ).

I was out on Washington today testing the ingnition fixes...the lake was so rough it wasn't even fun!! I was completely airborn several times, and I was only running at about 3000RPM...just miserable (Kath is convinced I need some new bolser's now eek! ). I did get one decent speed run in that made it all worth it though...perfect soft landings and good launches....ahhhhhhh.

Anyway, I think I've got the gremlins about worked out, and although I've got a little variation in the compression - I think it'll get me through the season..so hopefully the Scramarama will happen.

I saw a really nice Red 22C on the lake today...I swear there are 15-20 donzi's on Lake Washington....where are all those people?

EG

MXRoadster
07-21-2002, 11:56 PM
Eric, the answer is yes, check out the “outdrive problem” post in the general discussion section. Glad to here your electrical problem is fixed. The lake was perfect yesterday, it just had the usual chop to it and the Hornet was running great until…. :rolleyes:

David

Blewbyu
07-31-2002, 11:34 AM
Owen,Eric,Etc.-I'm heading out for Lake Pend Oreille tomorrow early- and won't be back 'till Aug 18.So far, looks like I will be able to make the Scamarama on second week of Sep.Let me know if that changes.
Biggest decisions of the day/s for the next 3 weeks....(1)Sit on the dock.(2)Fish (3)Water ski(4)Imbibe (5)Drive around aimlessly in the D boat doing 'bikini checks'.#5 looks like the strongest. :D eek! eek! eek!

EricG
07-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Have a great time Jeff....Sounds like it'll be rough :D

EG