PDA

View Full Version : !st Annual Sea Dogs on the Suwannee River

Budmann
12-19-2002, 11:28 AM
The weather starts getting nice around March. Who's up for a little fun on a fast River???

Cuda
12-19-2002, 11:41 AM
My girlfriend is from up there at Old Town on the Suwannee. We go up there quite a bit. I used to keep a trailer at the mouth of the Suwannee in the town of Suwannee. I started a thread a few months ago about meeting there, but my schedule is so varied, it would be hard for me to organize a meet. I did some research on a place there at Hwy 19 and the river, called Suwanne Gables. Do a search in this forum, and you should find it. It is a beautiful river to run on. The only thing is, you don't want to go right after a heavy rain, there are lots of floating and semi submerged logs floating down the river. I will most likely be headed up there this weekend to go hunting. Where did you have in your mind to have a meet at?

Forrest
12-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a great idea! What did you have in mind? Take over the Suwannee Gables or the Cadillac in Fanning Springs? If it's nice, we can probably make a run to Cedar Key as well.

Budmann
12-19-2002, 02:12 PM
We have stayed at both. The Cadillac Motel is much cleaner than the Suwannee, and cheaper. There is also a bed an breakfast right next door to the Suwanneer Gables. that is beautiful. The lady rents it to us and goes and stays with her daughter down the street and then comes by in the morning to fix breakfast. Might be a thought. Lately we have opted to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Chiefland. Its big with lots of room for the boats. Either way we would have a blast! I invited Brad and Dwight to fly down and ride with me first before hauling all the way down from Virgina. Lets see if we can get close to as many boats for this trip as were at the Hometown Rally :p :p :p :p

pmreed
12-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Suwannee River eh? Sounds interesting; I expect I could be persuaded :D .

Phil

Air 22
12-19-2002, 05:40 PM
Budman..What airport would be the closest?
I can fly into anywhere. :D

ToonaFish
12-20-2002, 12:46 AM
Doing a run to Cedar Key would be an absolute riot... but you guys do know that this ain't no Stephen Foster's Suwannee you'll be way down upon?

Bunches,

Celene 'Seadogs meet real Rednecks'

Cuda
12-20-2002, 12:49 AM
Air 22, Gainesville is the closest airport. It is about 50 miles east of Fanning Springs.

Suwannee Gables has new docks.

Cuda
12-20-2002, 07:27 AM
If planning on running from the Suwannee to Cedar Key, be aware there is LOTS of very shallow water between them. I hit an oyster bed two miles from the nearest land in my 18 foot open fisherman while it was on a plane. Try finding a prop in Suwannee on a Saturday. frown

Budmann
12-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Cuda hit the nail on the head. Its better to run up river. Half way up we go up the Santafe River and then to Isnatuknee and beach it. Great pleace to hang. Beautiful spot... lots of locals. the springs that we stop at on the way are incredible. Definatly going to be sporting lots of Donzi tats and t-backs. Hopefully, we won't be bundled up like on the St. Johns. Air 22(Dwight), if you fly into TIA(Tampa International Airport) I can pick you and Brad up and its a straight shot up the State. As it gets closer, we can firm up a date that works for everyone. The more the merrier, so everyone try to make it. Anyone(Scot, Brad, Dwight, etc) that needs a place to stay a day earlier or later is welcome at my house. No wife, so I won't have to clear that obsticle.

Air 22
12-20-2002, 04:58 PM
smileybo I'm in...Just let me know the dates. I might be "pushed" into haul'in down b/c now my new base will be in Raleigh, NC...saves me 5 hrs. Either way I'm in. Flying into Tampa is pie. Brad will go just kieep us up 2 date...Merry Chistmas + Happy New Year. Thanx for the invite!
Dwight :D smileybo ....I just love this gremlin...

Cuda
12-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Anywhere from the mouth of the river north there is plenty of good deep water. The South Pass has some of the most scenic water I have ever seen. The last 14 miles of the river is all national wildlife preserve, no condos! :) I have some pictures of it that I will scan if I can find them.

Fish boy
12-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Budmann, sounds good to me. The St. johns was great, and the weather should be EXTREMEL Y nice in March.

Hopefully we can talk some of our boating-weather challenged northern friends into coming down for a river run.

Fish

florida gator
12-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Sounds good to me. Even if I cann't get away for the whole weekend, I shoud be able to go for a day. It is only about 1.5 hours from here. :cool:

Last Tango
12-22-2002, 10:50 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I just want to point out more explicitly that, as stated above by MadPoodle, the SEADOGs already have an event scheduled for the last weekend in March which is our 3rd Annual Gathering at the Mt. Dora Antique and Classic Boat Show. This event has been scheduled for some time and many of us have nonrefundable reservations at the Lakeside Inn.
I wholey support an event on the Suwanee and look forward with excitement to doing that event. However, for the sake of our members who may not be able to string back-to-back events together, I suggest we go for late APRIL for the event, specifically April 25, 26, 27. Here are my reasons:
March is still very chancy weather in North Florida. We have had very cold weather as late as the first weekend in May, some years.
April is always our driest month, the later the better.
Late April is warmer than late March.
Daylight Savings Time begins April 6th so we would have more sunshine with which to run and play.
Palm Sunday in April 13th, Easter Sunday is April 20th. On April 26th, Mt. Dora will be a month behind us, and AOTH III will be just more than a month ahead.
I don't believe the Cadillac Hotel is subject to SPRING BREAK rates, but maybe Forrest can check on that for us.
So please keep these thoughts in mind as we press on to create this event.
Thanks,
Mark (Supreme SEADOG)

Forrest
12-23-2002, 03:07 PM
You know Mark, that's some good thinkin' on your part. For all those reasons and probably a few more, I would think that late April would be a better choice than in March. But is that date too close to AOTH?

Last Tango
12-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Forrest,
I picked that weekend specifically because it is at least five weeks before AOTH. Should be plenty of "recoup" time between events. Same on the front side with Mt. Dora. We can pick ANY weekend. That was just my suggestion in order to spread out the events so we don't overdo it.
Mark

Cuda
12-26-2002, 07:28 AM
We are headed up to the river today to visit Debbie's parents and do some hunting. Anybody need any recon information?

Fish boy
12-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Mark
good thinking. Thats why YOU ARE the Supreme SeaDog! April is OK with me- the more events the merrier.

Fish

Budmann
01-02-2003, 10:29 AM
No problem! The March thing was just a initial date. We can plan for just about any time. I just wanted to extend the Suwannee thing as my part to the Sea Dogs. I so enjoyed meeting the guys at the St. Johns that I couldn't wait to plan another outing. Lets keep each other posted as the dates near. I'm open any weekend just about. Going to se if Fish Boy and I can make the AOTH gathering as well. The more outing the merrier. Hope all the Donzi Registry folks had a great Christmas and a better New Year. Lets go BOATING!!!

J&K SHAHBAS
01-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Hi fellow Sea dogs since thats my birthday weekend #40!!! I think that would be an appropriate cellebration. My 16 should be back together by then so mabe I could talk nate into follwing us up.

Last Tango
01-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Can someone do a little research and see if the Cadillac is available the weekend of April 26-28? If so, get a phone number and a price quote for the rooms. I think we need to MAKE this happen as an event. We've been taliking about this location for a year. Let's DO IT!
Mark (Supreme SEADOG)

Budmann
01-06-2003, 09:48 AM
O.K. spoke with the West Coast Crew and they all want the 1st trip to happen on the 12th of April. Don't know how that works for the rest of you? We have aroud 12 boats going on that date. I'm hopeful that at least the Florida folks can go. I know the AOTH is sometime in that area. Let me know so I can start putting rooms together. We are undeceided on the Cadillac or the Holiday Inn Express. The Holiday Inn is closer to the better of the two ramps. Also Super Walmart right next door along with a couple of decent resturants. Also, continental breakfast at Inn. Cadillac parking can get alittle tight. Holiday Inn has plenty of room. Their about 10 miles apart so if some people wanted to split up I guess that could work too. Doesen't matter to me. After enough beer, I can sleep anyware!

CrackerJack
01-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Here is the site for Holiday Inn Express in Chiefland, http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/h/d/ex/rates/chffl
I was given a rate for 2 people, 2 double beds and non-smoking for $59.00.
Just talked to the person there and they would give a discount for 10 or more rooms for $49.00 per night.

Budmann
01-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Yep, they are great to work with.Will make resos end of month. hopefully, we will have a pretty good head count. Hey all you Donzi Freaks, lets do the Suwannee!!!!! smileybo yippie :p :p :p

Forrest
01-09-2003, 09:04 AM
. . . and there is a really good liquor store near the Holiday Inn Express too!

Budmann
01-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Don't forget about the booze store across the street from the Suwannee Gables. It sells everything on Sunday. yippie cool! :cool:

Cuda
01-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Budman, I was there a couple weeks ago stocking up on Jim Beam for the trailer. :) It used to be called Guv's, but it sold, I think Guv died. He used to have a boat on the river and took it to the Salt Creek Restaurant in Suwannee. Guv and his wife used to sample their wares liberally. :) You could tell if they were buzzed, the wife would always wear her hair up when hitting the booze.

Cuda
01-09-2003, 03:49 PM
What boat launch are you planning on using? I know there is one near the foot of the bridge, but I've never used it. Then there is Hinton landing, which has a good ramp, but no dock. Hinton is also on a canal just off the river and it is easier to launch and retrieve boats there without having to deal with the current. I spent most of my time at the mouth of the river, launching at town of Suwannee.

Budmann
01-09-2003, 04:28 PM
There's a great ramp and dock right by the Holiday Inn Express. I forget the name, but its on a curve of the river so the current isn't bad. The one I think you are talking about is Fanning Ramp. Current is no fun there. Had lots of black marks on the hull to prove it. As it gets closer maybe you can do some scouting about and see if there isn't something better. Hey, are coming to the Wharf this weekend???

BabyDonzi
01-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Baby, Las and myself would certainly be interested! That is if I can get the keys away from her!
Keep us posted on the date!

Budmann
01-23-2003, 08:57 AM
This trip continues to grow. More and more people from our area are coming. Hope to see a huge turnout!

Budmann
01-23-2003, 08:59 AM
This trip continues to grow. More and more people from our area are coming. Hope to see a huge turnout!

Budmann
02-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Any more takers. Thsi is going to be a "GREAT" trip!!!! smileybo cool! :D

Last Tango
02-17-2003, 10:34 AM
I'm still a long shot for that weekend, but I have it on my to-do calendar. Work is less of an issue than before. Will have to wait-and-see until closer to the event.
Budmann is taking the point on this manuever so it HAS to be a fun place to go. If nothing else, I might make a day trip on Saturday!
Mark (Supreme SEADOG)

Budmann
02-20-2003, 09:08 AM
We would love to have you, if even just for a day. ant everyone from the Registry to meet the grope from the West Coast.

florida gator
02-20-2003, 08:56 PM
What is Live Oak near. It is probably about an hour north of me, 45 mins northwest of Ocala, 45 mins west of Gainesville. I think Live Oak is near Gainesville isn't it? Does any of that help?

pmreed
02-21-2003, 07:29 AM
I was really looking forward to this run, but looks I have to make a choice. Turns out the first APBA race is that weekend in Daytona and I'd planned on going. What to do, what to do? :confused:

Phil

CDMA
02-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Phil,

Donzi events come first....

Chris

Trying trying trying to make it down...yes professor this is a "school" assignment

florida gator
02-21-2003, 09:00 AM
pmreed:
I was really looking forward to this run, but looks I have to make a choice. Turns out the first APBA race is that weekend in Daytona and I'd planned on going. What to do, what to do? :confused:

PhilOh hell, I didn't even realize that. I was gonna go to my first APBA race. :confused:

Budmann
02-21-2003, 09:28 AM
C.D.M.A couldn't have said it better. This trip should be awesom! Once you ride the Suwannee, your hooked!

Cuda
02-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Budman, I was rereading the earlier posts about the boat launches. The one at Hinton Landing isn't the Fanning Springs boat launch. Hinton is on the north side of the river on a canal so there is no current. The only other one near the Holiday Inn that I'm aware of is right next to Manatee Springs State Park, is that the one you are talking about? I don't remember how much parking there is there, but Debbie's son in law lived right by it. I'll have her call him tonight and ask about it.

Damn, I wanted to go to the boat races in Daytona too, but I'd rather ride the Suwannee. :)

Budmann
02-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Cuda, I'm not sure of the name. If you take a right off of 19 between the Chevron and go about 3 miles down then turn right again the road weaves around and there is the ramp.

Cuda
02-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Budman, I was up there Tuesday looking at a piece of property right by that boat launch. I took pictures of just about all the boat ramps in the area. I'll try to post them tomorrow. I also took pics of the local motels. Parking is definitely at a premium at the Cadillac. There is one just south of there called the Suwannee River Motel that looked like it had a lot of parking area around it, and it's right across the street from the Bear's Den. :)

BTW, I think that ramp is called Clay Landing.

Budmann
03-06-2003, 10:45 AM
I don't see much activity on this site. Did everyone bail!

Cuda
03-07-2003, 06:32 AM
I'll go. I still don't have the 20 footer together yet, but I can drag the 24 if need be, or take the fish boat. Let me know. Weather should be about perfect now.

Budmann
03-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Good man Cuda! Now let's see if we can get the rest of the Registry motivated. It's going to be a blast!

Budmann
03-10-2003, 01:59 PM
C'mon Seadogs... Lets see some activity. We are getting close to the Reso time. All the West Coast people (most) are still ready to go!

walter
03-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Budmann, I'm dying to get this 33ft out and running. What do you think the nautical miles are from the St. Marks river?? :confused:

Forrest
03-11-2003, 08:51 AM
It's pretty much a straight shot from the St. Marks to the Suwannee River entrance. Looks like about 120 miles. Probably need to be carfull once you get down there. Lots of shallow water. I would recommend a GPS map and make sure that you don't hug the shore line too closly on the way down. Also, you'll need to run up river a good bit to hook up with the gang. You might do best to drag it down on the trailer. 27 to 19 south is an easy run to Cheifland, but then again, if would be fun to run the Gulf down there if the weather is nice.

Glad to see another Donzi in this area! Do you trailer it or keep it at Shields?

Budman - Just want to confirm the date of Saturday April 12, with you. Also, if that is the correct date, maybe we should plan on recommended arrival on Friday, April 11, in the late afternoon and evening. That way everyone is ready to go for the run in the AM.

<small>[ March 11, 2003, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Forrest ]</small>

Cuda
03-12-2003, 08:41 PM
There is LOTS of shallow water at the mouth I'd plan on coming in on a high tide.

Cuda
03-12-2003, 08:42 PM
There is LOTS of shallow water at the mouth I'd plan on coming in on a high tide.

Budmann
03-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Cuda, didn't I here that the Suwannee is CRESTING right now, and they expect it to go even higher.

We all reley on you to keep us up to date on the depth of the River. As you know, if theRiver is to high, the Springs are as black as the River.

Puts a whole different spin on how much fun we can have.

Let me know,

Thanks

Bud

Fish boy
03-14-2003, 08:08 AM
I heard that the river is really high right now, to the point where some of th esprings have a tanic color in them. Just grape vine, I have not seen it my self. At least it is better than it being too low.

Budmann
03-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Now thats alot of horsepower for an outboard!

Budmann
03-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Forrest, that Friday is when everyone will be getting there. Looking forward to seeing you there.