PDA

View Full Version : Another Central FL Race

pmreed
03-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Checking the APBA site, I found this: "14th Florida State Offshore Boat Championships St. Cloud". I've heard of these races but I've never been. The event is on Sunday, 7 April. Since I live about 20 minutes from St. Cloud, I'll be going. Anybody local who wants to hook up, let me know. I'd be happy to host a pre,post-race get-together (boat soda provided) :D if there's at least one of you out there interested. Here's the link
http://www.apba-offshore.com/news.cfm?ID=120&Action=spec

Phil

---------------------------------
Can anybody out there hear me?

Kent Perroux
03-29-2002, 01:47 PM
Hiya Phil,

I'll be there. What boat will you be in? My boat won't but may be in another boat. I'll clue you in before the race.

Kent

CrackerJack
03-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Phil, We may interested. Any knowledge of
ramps and viewing area? Jack

pmreed
03-30-2002, 12:15 AM
Jack,
I'm going to drive down there tomorrow, oops, later today, to get the lay of the land. I've been down to the municipal lakefront in the past, but I just remember a small peninsula with lots of beach along the sides. I don't have a clue about ramps, but I know it's a popular fishing lake and has several. I'll post what I find out. Maybe Kent can clue us in; I know he's been there for the races before.

Kent,
Any info you could give us about the layout would be appreciated. Originally I wasn't thinking about taking a boat, but that could change. If I do, look for the ferocious Sugar Sand Jet boat.

Phil

pmreed
03-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Well guys, here's what I've discovered so far. There are three ramps I found, one in St. Cloud proper, one on the north side of the lake at the East Lake Fish Camp ($1.00 to use) and one on the SE side of the lake off Narcoosee Rd, a big public ramp on Chisholm Park Tr. That last looks like the most practical one to use...busy today but not too overcrowded. E-Mail me for a link to a map for that one if you want.

As usual, you can't get too close to the race while it's being run. If we're wet, maybe we should run down to the city lakefront and beach to watch the proceedings. I'll try to hook up with someone who's been there before to get more info.

They're already setting up tents at lakeside in St Cloud; they have things going on all next weekend. I have no idea where we park if we drive; I'll call the city Monday to find out what's what.

More info as it happens.

Phil
-------------------------------------------
hush hush, on the QT, you read it here.

Mark Albers
03-31-2002, 11:21 PM
Phil :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good time
Any ideal on how big the crowd should be ???

Thanks

Mark :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O

Kent Perroux
03-31-2002, 11:38 PM
There is usually a good crowd.

Saturday is a good day to walk around the see the boat up close and talk to the racers. Inspections are at the Merury Plant Saturday. It is easy to find as it is on the main road just west of downtown.

Both Satueday and Sunday you will need to use either East Lake Fish Camp (excellent ramp and dock) on the northwest side of the lake ot the State Park on the East side (Has more parking, but ramp is tight especially for bigger boats).

Most boats view on east, between turn one and two. Not too good of a place to beach and the patrol boats are pretty finiky. If you want to beach on the shore, do so early before the patrol boats start keeping you clear of the main ramp entrance. Not sure if I will be in a boat Sunday.

On sunday a small donation will let you get into the wet pits. If you like engine noise that is definately the place to be when they announce "Gentlemen, start your engines". It is like being in a Gym.

Not sure where I will be, but I'll post my cell number on here if anyone needs info. Just got a new number and don't remember it right now.

Kent

Tidbart
04-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Hey guys, I will be going to the races on Sunday in my boat. I have a 1996 18 Classic, red. Named "Naut for Sail". I would be happy to raft up with anyone to watch on the water. I will be putting in at the Fish Lake Camp ramp some time in the a.m. I was there this past Saturday and the it was an easy spot to launch. Of course it wasn't very crowded. Also, since it is on the north side of the lake, it is away from the festivities and from the crowds, hopefully. My cell phone will be 407-301-0349. Give a call. I am new to Florida and would love to hook up with some Donzi owners. See you there.

pmreed
04-01-2002, 06:33 PM
Here's what I've been able to uncover so far.
Parking: Available along the shore on the lakefront Sat & Sun.
Wet Pit Admission : $10 Adult/ $5 Child (includes admission to the wet pits and onto
the jetty for the race) the old blue arm band thing.
Hot Pits: Red arm band, crew only.
Ramps: Two available to non-racers, consensus seems to be the EAST LAKE FISH CAMP. Email me for a Link to a map.
Spectating: On shore - as you like, blue arm band to go out on the jetty
Wet - wherever the patrols let you stay. There seems to be a problem with beaching a boat on shore. I guess that the participants will be milling around that area and we'd just be in the way. Maybe Kent can clarify, he's been there.

Time for a plan fellows...here are some thoughts.

Saturday: By car to the metropolis of St. Cloud. Look at the race boats and the other displays. Apparently there will be old cars and boats? Also arts and crafts. I'm going and invite anyone who wants to hook up to join me. Late morning sounds good. Meet there or at my place, which is pretty much on the way if you're coming from Orlando or points north. Hang out, eat overpriced hot dogs, and so on. Back to my place after for boat soda and maybe grilling stuff.

Sunday: We've already got one Donzi guy, tidbitnh, who will be wet. Kent will be there somewhere. Mark and Jack are maybes. I'll be there, wet or dry I don't know yet. Wet sounds like 6 hours in the sun if we can't beach. Besides, my boat doesn't have a head, guess I'd be doing some cooling off in the water every now and then. Afterwards, all are invited back to my place to cool down.

How about a show of hands from those who plan on showing up. Any suggestions for a different agenda are welcomed.

Phil

CrackerJack
04-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Phil,
Where can we meet up on Sat. and if so what time?
Do you have a cell number?
Mine is 407-415-8177.
Tidbitnh,
Will you be there on Sat.?
Would like to meet up on Sun too. Jack

pmreed
04-02-2002, 10:28 PM
See the post immediately above for some of that. I'm right off Narcoosee Rd down on Lake Mary Jane if you wanted to stop on the way. Call me to finalize. I plan on leaving the house around 11:00 AM Saturday to drive down...it's about 20 minutes from my house. Sunday is definitely on. :D We'll talk. Still hoping for a few more Seadogs to show up. :rolleyes:

Phil

Tidbart
04-03-2002, 06:39 AM
Jkeefe, I am not sure about Saturday, I was playing it by ear. Do you mean with or without the boat?? If I have nothing else to do I may go to St Cloud and walk around (Sat). My intention for Sunday is to see the races from the water. I will probably launch in the late morning as I have a friend arriving from Canada about midnite on Saturday and I have to have a few beers with him. You know those Canadians and their beer.

CrackerJack
04-03-2002, 08:59 AM
Will meet up with Phil on Sat. no Donzi.
If all looks good at ramps and water then would like to get wet Sunday. Jack

pmreed
04-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Bravo Jack,

Give me a call to finalize. I can send you a link to appropriate maps.

Phil

Kent Perroux
04-04-2002, 09:32 PM
I'll be around the inspection area (Mercury Plant) on Saturday. Sunday I'll be around either in the wet pits helping out or in a 25' Eliminator Cat on the water.

Cell 321-436-1222

Kent

PS - Sure with I had the time to get the Donzi back together. Getting a BAD itch with this 85 degree weather.

pmreed
04-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Kent,

Jack is coming down to my place tomorrow morning about 10 and we'll head down to the lakefront. Maybe we can get over to the plant and look you up. I'd like to hook up with you some time during the day. :)

tidbitnh,

Same applies to you if you make it to St.Cloud tomorrow. Hope to see you there. :)

Phil

Kent Perroux
04-05-2002, 08:26 PM
Phil,

Most of the boats and people will be at the Mercury Plant on 192 tomorrow. That is where they have inspections ans registration.

I have some things to do in the morning, but I should be there around 2-3:00 in the afternoon tomorrow.

Kent

pmreed
04-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Gonna be a lot of fun guys; it'll be great to see a new Donzi racing again. Just got off the phone with Mark A. and I'll be crewing for him tomorrow. :cool: Hopefully we'll be able to hook up with Jack and Bob (tidbitnh) to watch the races.

We're going to see the first race of the first new Donzi racer in ages!! :D

Phil

CrackerJack
04-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Phil,
Will you be going in Marks Donzi? An if so what time you heading out?

pmreed
04-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Jack, we hope to get wet late morning. I'll give you a call on your cell when I know more tomorrow.

Phil

pmreed
04-08-2002, 09:07 PM
Well Jack, Brandon, Mark, and Bob, it was a good time. Windy and a little rough, but that's what Donzis were designed for. I was glad we could all get together for the day...let's plan on doing it again next year. Maybe we can get a few more boats out. Hope we found a new member or two.

Phil

Tidbart
04-09-2002, 12:36 PM
What the hell. I am up for anything. I will even join the club, if it alright with you. This will give me the distinction of being a member of 3 Donzi Clubs. Is that a record?? Keep in touch